ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:57 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I am going to guess that the education level of the person writing the letters is not very high.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:30 pm 

Hi. Thank you so much for your post. I received a similar e-mail. The only difference is the name is Katherine Williams, and her e-mail is katewille02@aol.com. Google is wonderful. I copied a paragraph from her e-mail into Google and your post came up. I'm so glad I found your post. I was already suspecting it as scam, your post just helped to figure it out sooner. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm 

Hi all,

I received a similar e-mail regarding this "Katherine Williams" person recently, except the email address is a bit different; nonetheless, the verbiage is the 99% same as mine. I have noticed that the email address used is like "katewille02@aol.com", "katewille03@aol.com" or "katewille04@aol.com", with a sick uncle, from SD, a nurse, blah blah blah of crap, like a list to keep track of the "progress" of their victim. I have provided my phone number so that she can call me and I have just received a voicemail from an unknown caller, and the accent is so funny (a french wannabe?) and sounded so fake. At this point, I'm going to play along and hope the authority will help catch this person ASAP.

Here's something which we all can relate:
I am a nurse,26 years old..I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in france as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there!!

Another one:
I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:19 am 

Below is an e-mail trail between my mom (the potential scam victim) and one miss "Jessica Farrell" who if you notice below is not even smart enough to figure out her own age as she initially states she is 31, however later contradicts that by saying she was born August 29th, 1978. My mother called me last night stating how excited she was b/c she thought that she had found a perfect roommate. Once I began to listen to the story I told her that I was afraid to bust her bubble but it definitely sounded like a scam and to not cash any check that this Jessica girl sends. My mom sent me the e-mail trail this morning and I was able to definitely confirm that it was and so glad I had this website to validate my belief. I'm glad I was able to keep my mom from being scammed and just hope this will help someone else.

--- On Mon, 7/28/08, Jessica Farrell <jessica_farrell@live.com> wrote:

Subject: Thanks for the info...
To:
Date: Monday, July 28, 2008, 3:58 PM

Hello Sue,
How are you doing today?Hope you are doing okay.Thanks so much for getting back to me with the information in which payment would be mailed to.I really appreciate your effort towards my coming to the states.Can't wait to meet your kids .I was born on August 29th 1978(smiles) it is really funny she is my month mate.I will be working in any hospital closer to the house ,i have papers to present when i come over.I am in the middle of work but i will get back to you later.
Thanks so much for all and i await your e-mail again.
Have a Blessed New Week
Regards
Jessica

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 04:35:04 -0700
Subject: Re: am really interested
To: jessica_farrell@live.com

Hi Jessica,

I am looking forward to meeting you. You need to send me a check for $450.00 ASAP (as I have received so many responses to my ad on Craigslist wanting the room) to secure the room and advise me approximately when you will be here. My address is as follows:

(DELETED)

Where in the Dallas area are you going to be working?

A little information about myself - I raised 6 children - 4 girls and 2 boys. My baby daughter celebrates her 30th birthday on August 4. You didn't mention your age but I get along well with the younger crowd. I am easy going, social driner and I do smoke but try to do my smooking outside on the patio.

If there is anything else you would like to know about me, just ask.

Looking foward to hearing from you soon.

Suzy

--- On Mon, 7/28/08, Jessica Farrell <jessica_farrell@live.com> wrote:

Subject: am really interested
To:
Date: Monday, July 28, 2008, 1:55 AM

Hello...how are you today, thanks so much for your mail,appreciate it so much..i really have no problem not to view out the place prior to my moving in..and i really need to secure a place before coming down in order to eradicate and hotel expenses....Well i think i should tell you more about myself,and will love to come down soon to have a master program , and will equally update you about my move as soon as i i confirm my ticket.

However, based on your AD , I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and it is ok by me. I would like to make the payment for the first month ahead of m y moving in, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter. you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date. i'll be needing your full name and mailing address so as to prepare the payment as my client will be sending money order or a check of pay being money due to me.
I will keep you posted of when you are likely to receive the payment because the payment will be sent out to you immediately if i get your full name, phone # and address today
Have a wonderful day!
Regards
Jessica

NB Will be sending a copy of my passport as soon as i get back to the house

PROPERTIES

The list! of things i will be moving in are as follow;
my Honda accord car IV-Tech Model metalic green.
suite case containing my books
my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre

RENTAL APPLICATION
RENTAL APPLICATION
Applicant Name: Jessica Farrell
Present Address: 12 pelewura Crescent,
Victoria Island,
Lagos, Nigeria 23401

Passport # B21154342
Citizen British
Driver's license Need to Apply for a new D/L
Supervisor at work : Mark Beasely
Applicant's employer: SABRE RESERVISTS IN
HUMANITARIAN ROLES IN UK
Address: SaBRE Floor 1, Zone D St Georges Court 2-12 Bloomsbury Way London WC1A 2SH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:43:17 -0700
Subject: Re: Reply to your Craigslist AD
To: jessica_farrell@live.com

Jessica,

Thank you for the nice e-mail. I am looking to have the room rented by the first part of August. What time frame are you looking at?

I live about 30 miles east of Dallas, Texas.

Let me hear from you if you are still interested.

Respectfully,

Suzy

--- On Thu, 7/24/08, Jessica Farrell <jessica_farrell@live.com> wrote:

Subject: Reply to your Craigslist AD
To:
Date: Thursday, July 24, 2008, 10:35 PM

Hello, How are u doing? hope you are doing great... I saw your Advert that your have a Room/Apartment to rent. I am interested in renting the Place.

It suits the type of place i need for my comfort and work. Am a lady of 31 yrs old ,i was born and brought up in UK and i lived all my life there. Am a medical practisioner,a doctor to be precise but presently in West Africa for a program which will be ending soon. I will be coming to USA for another program (HIV/AIDS seminar) which will last for some months or even a year. we willl be there to educate and give the people some medical diagnosis on HIV/AIDS.

I will like to rent the Place for the period which i will be there for the program because i prefer staying there in other to eradicate hotel expenses . Please response by e-mailing me and tell me if the Place is still available and then get back to me with the total moving cost of the place so that i can make an initail deposit for the Place.
I will await your response.
Hope to read from you soon
Regards
Jessica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Jessica,
For you mother's safety, I deleted her email address from your post.

Thanks,

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 pm 

I started to become fishy after a few e-mails from potential roommates after I placed my ad on craigslist.

I didn't even let it get as far as to request money, they only got far enough to ask where to send it...

I googled, "roommate scam" and came across this forum, and read here to basically 100% confirm they are scammers.

Thanks to the people here, you can add these names and e-mails to the craigslist scammer list.

Linda Carolina email: lindaroomshare@yahoo.com
Angela Ribery email: anribery@aol.com

Thank you for this board!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 am 

And the pattern continues. I need a new roomie again, posted on craigslist last night and what do you know!!!
READ BELOW AND WATCH OUT FOR THESE SCAMMERS!!
CYN

fromjenifer walcot <jeniferwalcot02@geekzonemail.com>
tohous-778125510@craigslist.org

dateThu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:10 PM
subjectI am interested
mailed-bycraigslist.org

hide details 9:10 PM (11 hours ago) Reply

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hi there
I am jenifer I'm replying to your ad on craigslist and
I'd like to know if the place is still available.Also let me know the neighboourhood and the utilities included in the place

A liittle about my personalty. I am 28 year old,5"7' straight,single and nice,I'll love to live
with clean,caring and responsible people.I am presently in south-Dakota,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on
the availability of the room.Just so you know,I am french but I do speak english the best way i can so pls pardon my mistakes
I am serious about renting and I will try as much as possible to pay my rent before due.

Kind Regards
Jenifer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:20 pm 

Quote:
I have not received money yet, but I did supply her my passport scan + bank account number+address. I was stupid enough to take it this far.
What else can I do then go to the police? What damage can they do to me? Can the police track him/her down?

To Marie, you can get your bank to change your bank account number, close the account and open an new one at the same bank. Dont worry, they would never be able to withdraw funds, its just that whole Identity theft thing that needs to be thwarted. Also get a PO Box or a UPS Mail Box for casual use. If you are female, never give out your physical address. Re: Passport Scan, not really sure how much they can achieve without the original. Why would they ask for a landlord's passport? That is crazy!!! About the only thing they might be able to do is open a new bank account using your name, which is why if you have a new account no, their reference checks and attempt to open an account at a new bank using your identity would fail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:14 pm 

I have received the "cheque" and it is pretty "plain" if it was issue by Wells Fargo; I guess nowsaday everyone can just print a check easily. Anyway, my good "roomie" suppose to be sending her check from South Dakota, however, the fedex package came from BAE Systems from Scottsdale, Arizona, yet, the check was issued from a company call FMC water sports Inc from Portland Oregon.

Interesting eh?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm 

Hi everybody!
There's a very silly person trying to scam me... and it's actually quite funny because I'm doing my MSc thesis on online identity theft and efraud ;)
So I've been messing around with this girl for a few days now asking her how exactly she's going to get her car over here... what her phone number is... telling her I won't give out information over email... that I'll call her to find out info.
So she's now given me her phone number so I'm going to call her tomorrow and check it out.
I'm also going to record the call... don't know if its possible to upload it here but I'll put it on my MOLI.IE page if anyone wants to hear it!
I was going through the motions with this... wondering is it for real, isn't it... and thanks to all of you I now know that its not for real!

I have to interview victims of efraud and identity theft for my thesis so hopefully some of you will be willing. This is a great site! I just feel sorry for the people who get excited about these assholes.
Take care everybody and well done for figuring it out... I hope most people do!
Take care,
Karen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:32 am 
Gold Member

Karina,

What is the MSc degree? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:33 am 

So I posted an ad recently on craigslist for a roommate and I am being scammed by this same person only under the name of Angela Ribery. The funny thing is in "her" first e-mail she told me her name is Angela Ribery, and in the second one she called herself Nicole Wayne. Think someone is getting mixed up in all of their identities?!? Ha! Anyway, here is the last email she sent me. Thank you everyone for posting on here. I was a bit suspicious at first, but thought I was analyzing too much. Now I know for sure that this person was trying to scam me! Read on...

The first e-mail:
Quote:
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Good day,
I read your ad craigslist that you have a place for rent,and this is why i am getting back to you, i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the neighbourhood ,the place and the utilities included...
My name is Angela Ribery,am a Nurse , am 27 years old this year,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"6' straight,i am presently in south Dakota now ,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on the availability of the room,I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french ,i am an interesting person to live with,I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent the particular room that you have to offer .
And interested inthe room,pls i would love to see (more)picture of the room if its available,I will be anxiously waiting for your email and i want you to know that i really need the room now and i am the serious type paying rent is not a problem as long as i am okay with the place and people that i'll be living with.
espérons recevoir de vos nouvelles très bientôt
Au revoir
Kind Regards,

miss Angela Ribery.

The second e-mail:

Quote:
Thanks so much for replying my email,I really do appreciate it,. I would have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have alot of things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and you,as my uncle is presently sick and i have to go see him,but really want to hold a place down...i will be waiting for your reply.

More about me again i am a nurse..I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"6' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in France as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there!!

I lived all my life way in Paris before coming down to SD,,I grew up with my uncle 15 years old...I ve also wanted to be in the medical way since i was born,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs .

Ambition and Work:

I was looking to move over to your state because i understand that i'll be doing good overthere as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones live overthere..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am also making enquires about that now...
Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
Right now.I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent

I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..

With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me and a picture of mine will be attach in the next email,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in by the middle of next month,but want to secured it now
Au revoir
Thanks..
Nicole Wayne

(akaicarsson@aol.com --My exlandlord email address for reference )

[b]The e-mail address she is using is nicolepavez@aol.com

Hope this helps!!!
[/b]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:51 pm 

I have received similar emails. She is now going be the name "Sandra Mantell" email address sandramantell2@aol.com

Thank you for posting on this website as I now know it was a scam. Here is her last email:

bonjour,

Thanks so much for replying my email,I really do appreciate it,. I would have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have alot of things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and you,as my uncle is presently sick and i have to go see him,but really want to hold a place down...i will be waiting for your reply.

More about me again i am a nurse..I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"5' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in France as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there!!

I lived all my life way in Paris before coming down to SD,,I grew up with my uncle 15 years old...I ve also wanted to be in the medical way since i was born,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs .

Ambition and Work:

I was looking to move over to your state because i understand that i'll be doing good overthere as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones live overthere..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am also making enquires about that now...

Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
Right now.I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent

With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me and a picture of mine will be attach in the next email,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in by the middle of next month,but want to secured it now
Au revoir
Thanks..
sandra mantell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 am 

I have the same exact scam. So far I have given the person my cell, & address. Now what should I do? I just looked to see if Nicole Wayne had a nursing liscense in my state and SD where she said she was from nothing came up so it prompted me to do a web search leading me here. What almost got me was she was insistant I take the ad off craigslist mentioning it in every email, even sent pictures in the last email.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 pm 

I had the rent scam from Katherine Williams regarding renting a room, but I caught onto it. I even replied to one of the emails telling her that this appeared to be a fraud...that was last week sometime. This week I got a money order from FMC Watersports. This person has so many scams going that they can't keep track of them. What can we do to nab this sucker? I'd love to set them up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next