ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:00 pm 

OK...so I am looking for a roommate on craigslist and so far have been emailed twice: Jenifer Walcot (From France but living in South Dakota) and now Courtney (From australia). Because I know these are scams, I will post my latest convo with Courtney as I am pretending that I don't know its a scam. All of the emails i got from both peopl ehave basically been the same and in some parts word for word. Things everyone need to look out for include horrible grammar, especially when they are from an english speaking country but just have bad grammar (not talking about typos here!). When the ad sounds too good to be true, its becuase..IT IS! Read below my latest encounter:

Hey again!!

Sounds great... the only thing im worried about is gving the cc info over the internet...with all these nigerian scams going on lately I just dont want them to steal my info! I just want you to have it. Maybe I can mail it to you directly? What do you think? I really dont want to lose you, youre exaclty what we are looking for.

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Sun, 25 May 2008 8:38 pm
Subject: Re: Am interested!!!!

Hi,

The credit card transfer is just a very easy process,all you have to do is provide the whole details of your credit card to me and i will forward it to my uncle so as to tranfer the payment to secure my room into your credit card account ASAP.

This is all the info i need from you:

1) The 16 digit credit card number
2) Your name(the name that appears on the credit card)
3) Expiration date
4) What card is it?(Mastercard, Visa)
5) The 3 digit Security code in the back of the credit card

Pls get back to me fast with the detailed info so we can proceed..

Hope to read from you soon!!

Ttyl,
Courtney.

To: courteycutey79@aol.com
Sent: Sun, 25 May 2008 9:09 am

What is a credit card transfer, how does it work? THis is exciting, i've never had an international roommate and i dont want to lose you! haha Ok so let me know..nythign is easy to do, just dont know what the credit card transfer is.

To:
Sent: Sat, 24 May 2008 10:16 pm

Hi,

I just got in touch with uncle and he advised on making the payment with another means which is the Credit Card transfer so as to ease you with too much stress.

Let me know what you think about this?And if you are ok with that pls provide the necessary details so he can mail out the payment to secure the place ASAP.

I am so happy coming to share a place with you guys!!!!!

Cheers,
Courtney.

Sent: Sat, 24 May 2008 6:39 pm

Hey again!

Sounds great. Because I work with transactions like this in my job, what we will do is deposit the MO in an account and wait until it clears, or I can just give you my personal bank account number so you can deposite money directly into it? Is that ok?. I hope thats ok with you? Please let me know. If you prefer, I will hold the apt for you until youa rrive, its not a problem at all becuase you sound like a really nice woman.

To:
Sent: Sat, 24 May 2008 9:17 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,i am attaching my pics with this e-mail,please let me know if you get it....

I only have a dresser and a pad that i will be coming over with.Also,my car will be shipped over before my arrival and i hope to arrive by the 17th of June.

As i already told You,i'll be working as a pediatric nurse in any hospital around.my uncle will be incharge of all rental fees until i can get a good job,he is a very wealthy man.I want You to know that i am okay with the cost,if none is included again.....

Please just tell me more about you or the people that will be living around,Because i believe that the person that one wants to live with,matters most.

I have let my uncle understand more about you and he is really comfortable with the price and also,he said we will be making payment to hold down the place and the mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is United State Certified money order.so pls let me know if this mode of payment is ok by you.

And if YES,pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.
1.Your full name as it will appear on the payment
2.your work place address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails or a courier service
3.your phone number on the package to avoid package missing in transit.

I will prefer to send it to your work address because i feel you will always be available at work from morning till evening but if it is your home address,it will be sitting in your mail and no one will be at home to receive the package.But if you don't receive packages at your office address then I guess your home address will be good for the delivery,right ?So to avoid any delay of you receiving at home then I guess your work address will be fine,or what do you think ?

Kindly get back to me with this requested address and contact information so that we can proceed asap.bye for now.

Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have,okay?

Thanks...
Courtney.

Sent: Sat, 24 May 2008 5:04 pm

Hey there!

Well you sound wonderful. We would love to have you. We are pretty easy to get along with etc. One of us works for the FBI and another sells flowers in a flower shop (can you even imagine), we would make sure to take care of our roommate. Whatever is easiest for you about securing the apt ...its all up to you we are very flexble and like i said very out going. Just let us know what you want to do.

Thanks again!!

To:
Sent: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:47 am

Hi,

Thanks so much for the mail,I really do appreciate the introductory email.I'll be happy if you can rent out the place to me,as i'll love to get a place before my arrival.

More about me..I have been a humanitarian officer for the past 8 months that involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages and heart related diseases in children between the ages of 4-10yrs.I have now decided to leave here and come over there to invest and pursue my initial discipline which is being a pediatric nurse,I have thought of it and i understand that moving to a more civilized area will help...

Reference...I worked under my uncle for eight months and he is still running the non governmental organisation,which involves in projects that includes orphans,orphanages and heart related diseases...And before that i schooled in United Kingdom before moving down to Australia after the death of my dad....

Am 27 years old female Australian,I don't drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do,i have no pets and also don't have a boyfriend presently.I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,i am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis.

I must confess that i am comfortable with the place and I will like to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you tell me all about the place and send me some pictures as well.

I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures too,please let me know if there will be room for them..

Moreover,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over as i plan to arrive by the mid of next month.I will also attach my picture in the next email.

Feel free to ask me any more question via e-mail.

Thanks..
Courtney.

Sent: Fri, 23 May 2008 9:06 pm

oh do share more about youtself...you sound dashing. whend do you want to move in? its all yours if you like!

To:
Sent: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:11 pm
Subject: Am interested!!!!

Hi,

Goodday to you,Hope you are doing fine?? I understand that you posted an ad on craigslist.com that you have a room available for rent and i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the neighbourhood ,the place and utilities included...??As i'll love to have a place as soon as possible ...

About me,I am a pediatric nurse and a single lady of 27 from queensland(south australia),i don't have a pet.....I'll let you know more about me if i can know the availability of the room.

I have seen rooms that are okay but the owners are not easy to get along with,so i will want to know more about you too,i will prefer a long term lease...i plan to arrive by mid of June,All that i'll want to know is the availability and total move in cost before moving in.

Please contact me at my personal email address and i will be willing to let you know more about me.

Kind Regards,
Courtney.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 am 

That is hillarious! Glad to know that they are so accomodating and are willing to change their scam from fake check/shipping fraud to Credit Card fraud at a moments notice!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

u2dan -
I edited your post to remove your email address . . . you don't want that info out there for other scammers to find!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm 

Thank you so much for posting this! I got the exact same email from Jenifer Walcot and because of your post was able to see clearly what a scam this is! All I did was google her name and south dakota and this post popped right up. Again thank you!!!

Below is the content of the 2nd of two emails I received from "her". You will see it contains the language you were discussing (they really do try very hard, don't they?):

Hi

Thanks so much for replying my email,I really do appreciate it,. I would
have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have alot of
things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the
place and you,as my uncle is presently sick and i have to go see him,but
really want to hold a place down..

More about me again i am a nurse..I am the neat type,I like
honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike
lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy
going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight.,28 years i like tourising and,i don't
keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay
if you do,I was born and bread in france as there was where i had my
university education and stays with my uncle there!!
I lived all my life way in paris before coming down to SD,,I grew up with
my uncle 15 years old...I ve also wanted to be in the medical way since i
was born,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved
in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in
children betweeen the ages of 4-10yrs .

Ambition and Work:

I was looking to move over to your state because i understand that i'll be
doing good overthere as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones
live overthere..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am
also making enquires about that now...

Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the
dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like
sharing y thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i
will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
Right now.I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you
shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent

I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the
place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the
place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want
you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of
my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..
With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me and a picture
of mine will be attach in the next email,Let me also know how i can go
about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy
from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take
off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit
Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in
by the first week in next month,but want to secured it now

Thanks..

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

ss2008 wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this! I got the exact same email from Jenifer Walcot and because of your post was able to see clearly what a scam this is! All I did was google her name and south dakota and this post popped right up. Again thank you!!!

That is GREAT that information posted on this site just yesterday was able to come up in a google search and help you today!

Gotta love the power of the internet! :mrgreen:

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 am 

Hi,
My girlfriend received this response to her craig's list ad. We found it suspicious and a google search led us to this forum. Thanks to everyone.. this is really helpful!
This is the mail we received. Its eerily similar to one of the mails on this forum, the name is new- Jenet Badmus
email: jenet_badmus90@live.com
------------
Hi,
How are you doing? Guess fine I presume. Am writing you in regards to your advert on Craigslist.com and I'm interested in your room apartment,
Am from Canada and I will be having some seminars coming up soon . Right now am working for a NonGovernment Organization on a programon children with orphans and heart related probs.
My next program/seminars will be in Your Neighbourhood and I will need a room to stay for these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the states.
I can't wait to arrive to us cause I've heard a lot about the state....Moreso I willbe staying for the period of 12-13 months, Pls do get back to me with the room description, move in rent fees for the first month, Utilities and deposit if included. And if any picture of the room is available, kindly attach it with your reply please.Hope to read from you. Have a wonderful and productive day.Kindly Hit me Back
Kindest Regards.
jenet
-------------
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:10 pm 

Wish I would have visited this website about 3 days ago. I didn't give them any information they could use to get financial information, but I'm certainly glad I had a secondary roommate lined up.

Sent: Fri 5/30/08 5:42 AM
To:

Hi,

Thanks so much for the mail,i'll be happy if you can rent out the place to me as i'd love to get a place before my arrival.

More about me..I have been a humanitarian officer that involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages and heart related diseases in children between the ages of 4-10yrs for the past 8 months.I have now decided to leave here and come over there to invest and pursue my initial discipline which is being a pediatric nurse.I have thought of it and i understand that moving to a more civilized area will help...

Reference...I worked under my uncle for eight months and he is still running the non governmental organization,which involves in projects that includes orphans,orphanages and heart related diseases...And before that i schooled in united kingdom before moving down to Australia after the death of my dad....

Am 27 years old female Australian from queensland (south Australia).I don't drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do,i have no pets and also dont have a boyfriend presently.I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,i am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldom party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis.

I must confess that i am comfortable with the price and I will like to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you tell me everything about the place and send me some pictures as well.

I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furniture too,please let me know if there will be room for them..

Moreover,Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over as i plan to arrive by the mid of next month.I will also attach my picture in the next email.

Feel free to ask me any more question via e-mail.My service provider does not allow long distance calls.

Thanks..
Clare.

--

The second email I got was almost identical to the one posted above, word for word.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:21 pm 

This is incredible. It seems this same person or mafia has bee doing this for a long time if you research previous threads. I am glad I found this. I am trying to rent a room in my house and I got the same emails from one of the names referred to in this thread. Same exact emails and replies. I got suspicious and googled her name. I will check this site more often.

Is there no way to report this and have these people arrested? Will anyone do anything about this? This person now knows a lot of things about my family and my life. How scary. Thank goodness I know better than to give any financial info. But I wonder if I already gave out to much. I guess they are out to catch the few innocents that they can when they email thousands of poeple. I do not imagine I will have any more problems if I just ignore the emails. Is thery any way to log their IP address?

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Henry,
There is no way to catch them or have them arrested. They are in another country, probably Nigeria.

You can report them to Craigslist, tell everyone you know about this scam and our site in order to help educate others about what is going on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:57 am 

Glad I googled on Amanda'a name and found this. I will be send an email to that account with this information and informing them not to contact me again regarding my room for rent. I may even have the checks dusted for prints by the police to see if there are any and see if there is a way to find out who is doing this and get it stopped.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:29 pm 

Most likely the police will not do much as this is small potatoes to them (especially if you were smart enough to catch on before you were out actual money) but I contacted the bank the checks were drawn on (I looked it up on line first to make sure it was legit) and they were much more interested. I sent them copies of the check.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

pcarroll30102 wrote:
I will be send an email to that account with this information and informing them not to contact me again.

Actually, I would rather you did NOT send them any information about our site or that you were warned by information found here.

The less the scammers know about our site, the better. :wink:
We don't need them to know that we are on to certian names or stories, otherwise they will change them and then if someone else does a google search on a new name they will not find the same posts that you did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:25 pm 

I recently posted an add on craigslist.com for a female Christian roommate. I hadn't received anything for a little while and then I got this. It was one of those "too good to be true" things, and it didn't really make complete sense. I'm glad I decided to look up "Faith Walcott" it saved me a lot of time! Notice how the email claims to be the "only son" but yet I received the email from a woman...

My name is Faith Walcott. I am in my early age of 30Yrs
and I am an European . I come to the states often mostly for business purposes
because I deal mostly in Furniture. I furniture to stores in the states and
Europe . In fact that is my family business cos we are from France. I bought a
house last year in the states cos i love it there .It is peaceful and with a
loving neighborhood.

Unfortunately my father passed away on the 26th of October 2007 and as the
only son in my family i have to go and take care of the family business back in
France and i realized that it will be very difficult to supply goods to my
clients again in the United states while am away and it will definitely cost me
a lot to come over to receive payments cos they pay mostly in checks and money
orders .

Running the business from there it will be difficult and will be impossible
especially the aspect of payment and i don't also want to lose my clients
or customers there . So what i intend doing is that i am looking for some one
to stay at my house free of charge. I don't want to sell the house cos i
just bought it and i will have all the rest papers by August but i have ALL the
keys now. I am simply looking for someone that is honest and trustworthy and
clean for two reasons:

1. to maintain the house when i am away and

2. help me receive payments from my clients within the USA on my behalf in
his/her name and have it cashed cos they pay mostly checks and money orders and
have the funds wired to me here in France through money gram transfer/western
union transfer . You don't have to pay me for the accommodation. its just
for the purpose of keeping my business going on in the United state.and if you
wanna keep this assignment as a job let me know so i can allocate 10% on each
payment that you receive if at all you don't wanna live in the house or if
you are far from the house.

The house is a great one,living room,bedrooms,bathroom,parking space etc
furnished as well . If you want i can email you more pictures and if you are
interested i will send the keys to you via courier so you can go and see the
house. It is a very lovely house and there is no way you wont like it.

If you are interested in handling my business in the state and keeping the
house neat, please send me your full name and address with your phone number
and also for me to be able to no how far the place is from your present
residential place.I am back in France. Get back to me if you are interested
with this.

I've been hard hearing for 4 yrs so i won't be able to make phone
conversations but i can always email you anytime.

Thanks and have a great day ahead.
Faith Walcott !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Jushakes wrote:
Notice how the email claims to be the "only son" but yet I received the email from a woman[/i]

This is because they work off of a script, kind of like a telemarketer. They just copy and paste the same email over and over all day. They wrote the letter as a guy, but then when they replied to your ad for a female roommate they remembered to change the NAME to a female name, but forgot to go through the email to look for other gender related terms (like son/daughter)

It is kind of like when you see a little kid read a form and they say

"I, insert your name here . . ." instead of saying "I, Bobby Smith . . . "

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:03 pm 

What is the reason for the horrible grammar etc.? Is it to convince us that they are foreign? Because most also claim to be edjucated professionals and that always seems off to me. Or do stupid people just write them?

Last edited by gibret on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next