ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dorah...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:28 pm 

I just got hit by Dorah Johnson as well...apparently she's looking in Nebraska now. Watch out for her repetative information in e-mails, nonsensitive English, and changing age! (Clearly an intelligent scammer...) The Craglist scam alert also popped up when she replied, but I'm a new user and assumed it popped up with everyone. She seemed suspicious, so I googled her and found this before any cashier's checks were involved, but she used the sistadorah21@live.com address to respond to my posting. And I thought I found someone to sublet my place.......

Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:04 pm 
Gold Member

I am glad you found us before you got scammed. Thanks for posting the new information this scammer is using.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:31 am 

Sorry about that... at least you caught her :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:47 am 

Thank you all for reporting the scams. I have received a couple of them just like the ones you posted under this topic. I just want to add one more alias that was used in the scams by Sandra Martinez (sandra_marty86@hotmail.com). This person also use the name Linda Betty (betty.linda48@yahoo.com).

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:37 am 

I am really glad I found this site regarding these scams. I had recently posted some ads in a few different places trying to find a roommate. The writing is very similar to what you all have posted here. I noticed that many of the responses were very much the same with just a few words changed. Here are a few of them.....

Hi,

How are you doing? Guess fine I presume. Am writing you in regards to your
advert on Craigslist.com and I'm interested in your room apartment, Am from
Australia and I will be having some seminars coming up soon in US. Right now am
working for a Non Government Organization on a program on children with
orphans and heart related probs.

My next program/seminars will be in US and I will need a room to stay for these
seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the states. I can't wait
to arrive to US cause I’ve heard a lot about US.Moreso I will be staying for the
period of 12-13 months, Pls do get back to me with the room description, move in
rent fees for the first month, Utilities and deposit if included. And if any picture of
the room is available, kindly attach it with your reply please.

Hope to read from you. Have a wonderful and productive day.

Kindest Regards.

Patricia..

Hi,
How are you doing? Guess fine I presume. Am writing you in regards to your advert on Craigslist.com and I'm interested in your room apartment,
Am from Canada and I will be having some seminars coming up soon . Right now am working for a NonGovernment Organization on a programon children with orphans and heart related probs.
My next program/seminars will be in Your Neighbourhood and I will need a room to stay for these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the states.
I can't wait to arrive to us cause I've heard a lot about the state....Moreso I willbe staying for the period of 4-5 months, Pls do get back to me with the room description, move in rent fees for the first month, Utilities and deposit if included. And if any picture of the room is available, kindly attach it with your reply please.Hope to read from you. Have a wonderful and productive day.Kindly Hit me Back
Kindest Regards.

Amanda

Notice the similarities with the above 2 emails!!!

Heres another....
Hi ,
My name is Dawn Louise Jamison,Please if you don't mind I will like to have answers to the following questions below:
i)I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
ii) I will like to have the description of the Place, size, and the equipments in there.
iii) Also I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over.
iv) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf cos I read a lot, shoe rank etc
v) I will also like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be as a kind of commitment that I am truly coming over and for you to hold the room down for me.
vi) If the #5 questions is YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit.
vii) I will like to know the major intersection nearest your neighborhood. Like shopping mall, bus line e.t.c
LASTLY:I will like to know more about you and also I will like to have your pics as for me to know how you look like.
Here is all I can say about my self for now.

I am 28 years old and I work full time, Monday through Friday and have weekends off except for once a month. I was born and raised in Fort Atkinson Wisconsin, but
presently in Amsterdam Holland on a business trip for more than 10 months..
I am a professional, A Computer Consultant and I deal in various kinds of computer applications and soft wares. I graduated in the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW) 4 years ago and I have my B.sc in Computer Science... I am not really a sports person, BUT I do love Hockey Games, I am a very out going person and fun to be with. I do play the organ and piano, and I do have BOTH piano and organ here at my house. I am not a drinker and I don't smoke and I don't do drugs. I would also like to go out with you on weekends and weeknights when I am free. I like going to movies, concerts, plays, I like camping, hiking, bike ridding, swimming, and I love to travel.

I am a very dedicated individual who is totally committed to human development, friendly, very trustworthy and value relationship above anything. I am a laid back person, I love traveling, sporting and Enjoy meeting people around the world. I am an easy going person and look forward to meet kind hearted, loving and caring person that is very responsible and understanding, someone I can really get along with. I will take my time to get you one of my pics in my next mail for you to know how I look like, I am sure you will like me.

I am presently in Amsterdam Holland and I will be moving to USA fully to live for the rest of my life and start a new life and set up my own business as a Computer Consultant ( I have my resume). I will be staying in your Place as long as the lease is drawn.

I should be arriving the state on before May 10th 2008 ......

I need answers to my 8 questions above as soon as possible so as to arrange for you to get the money prior for my arrival to retain and consider the room is mine.. I will be making this advance payment ahead my arrival so that you can be rest assured that this is real since I am not in the state presently. If you think

I will be a good applicant to you and you are interested in renting the place to me

NOTE: Kindly address all emails to me directly to my private email box at D_jamison33@hotmail.com

Thanks and have a good time.

Warmest Regards,

Dawn Louise Jamison

EMAIL:D_jamison33@hotmail.com

and the somewhat similar email from the ever so becoming famous... Sandra Martinez

Hi There,

How re you doing? I hope all is well. I'm Sandra Martinez, am 26 yrs old and Am originally from Barcelona, Spain . Graduate of Huelva University on the Costa de la Luz , I have a master degree in interior fashion and I work as a professional fashion designer. I moved to Phoenix , AZ two year ago for work and that's where am living. I'm am not in the states right now, i am presently in West africa . I am currently working on contract for a company call (African Family Home Fashions) here in West Africa ( Nigeria ) which the contract will be ending soon. I will be returning to the states in two weeks time and I don't want to go back to my where am living in Phoenix because my house rent has expired there. I enjoy traveling, It is very interesting to get more knowledge about the new countries, new people and traditions. It's great to have such a possibility. As i was searching through the web i saw the advert of your place . I would like to know maybe it's still available becasue i'm extremely interested in it. Here are the questions i would like to know about the room before planing to move in to the following questions below:

A}I will like to know the major intersection nearest your neighbourhood.like shopping mall,Churches,bus line e.t.c

B}I will like to know the total cost for the my initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit.
C}I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over.

D}I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
E}I will like to have the description of the place, size, and the equipments in there.

F}I will also like to know Your payment mode.
G}I will like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be stand as a kind of commitment that I am truely coming over and for you to hold the place down for me.
I will be very glad to have all this questions answered with out leaving a stone unturned...

Now a little about myself;I am from Barcelona, Spain : that means i am Spanish and had all my education in Spain . I am 26yrs old and very much single,the only child of my only parent,my mother alive, i lost my father and my only brother years ago while i was still a kid in an auto accident.I am currently living with my mom who's a catholic volunteer worker,but also manages her antique business. She is a volunteer at the sister's of the eucharistic heart of jesus convent,here in Barcelona , Spain . I have been wanted to relocated to the US longtime ago even while i was a little girl growing up and my mom is in support.It' been a long dreamed come true for me when i finnally settled in the US now. I have chosen your city for me to live when i arrive. I am easy to get along with and well mannered. I do not use people's items without permission and consideration. Kindly get back to me ASAP with the your monthly rent and the deposit i need to pay to enable you turn down other interested parties and keep the place for me until i arrive,because i will like to pay for the deposit before my arrival and i will like to know the total amount the rent for a whole year would be,as i am more interested in a long term lease,but still open to any form of lease you want. But i will like to pay the deposit first of all before i arrive to show my seriousness and so that you can hold the place for me until i arrive.I am single as i said and i am not attached to anyone at the moment. I do part time modeling; i call myself an amateur though,LOL,just something i take as a hobby and also i have a masters degree in interior fashion which i bagged from the Huelva University on the Costa de la Luz in Spain . I will be looking to pick up Fashion Designer jobs once i arrive in ur city, Fashion Designer is my life and i love it. I am new living all alone as i have lived with my mom alone in the past but i have no doubs in my mind about my ability to live peacefully with as i was raised to be a lover of peace. A friend just introduced me to this thing and i really wish that i am able to find the good cultured kind of Place i am looking for here. I hope i am doing it right anyways.LOL. Well,i think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects ones privacy,like i said i dont do drugs or smoke but i drink only occasionally,i strongly believe there will be any problems rent the place to me as i was raised by strong catholic Christain parents and have inbibed such good qualities from childhood. I will love to see your pics and those of the place as well.I'll be so glad if you can reserve the place for me and remove all your the adverts abt the place as i'll love to rent the place. Get back to me ASAP You can also meet me online so we can be able to talk about the place there and if you know i will be a good person to you Here is my screen nam (Sandra.Martinez119@yahoo.com <mailto:Sandra.Martinez119@yahoo.com> ) you can also meet me online now

Warmest Regards,
Sandra Martinez

They are not just from craigslist. I am also getting the same crap from roommates.com

So much for finding a roommate!!!
:roll:

PS I have many more just too tired to post all of them right now. I'll update the names and such next time I get online to the Forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 am 
Gold Member

I am glad you found out these where scams before it was too late.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:35 pm 

Hi,

I am so glad I found this website. I almost was scammed through Craigslist. This is the following conversation: Please start from the bottom. Please pay attention to the language in BOLD!!!!

The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys.
I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment. Please click on the link bellow to the TNT website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the
company where the procedure is explained: http://www.tnt.com/country/en_generic/s ... tical.html

Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week.

Poncho wrote:

Hi Annie,

Thank you for the information. Are you able to show the apartment or are you in the UK? When is the apartment available? What is the sq footage of the apartment?

Regards,
Poncho

Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:30:30 -0700
Subject: Re: $1100 Rent 1BR - Westbrooke Place - 2201 N Street NW (Washington, DC 20037)
To: Poncho

Hello,
Thank you for your interest. I have available the apartment located at 2201 N Street NW Washington, DC 20037, with 1 bedroom, 1 living room and 1 bathroom.I want to rent the apartment at this price because I moved with my job in United Kingdom, London. I can rent you the apt for max. 2 years because I have a contract here for this period. The rent for 1 month is $1100 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I'm the only person who have the keys but I hope that we will find a compromise.Thank you for your interest and wait news from you.

Poncho wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in this listing. I am looking to rent starting June and I have a few questions: 1. The rent listed 1100: does that include utilities; 2. Is there a break for government employees. 3. What is the sq footage? 4. Do you have a pet fee (8lb dog) 5. How far is the parking garage? and is there a cost?

Please let me know at your convenience.

Thanks,
Poncho

$1100 Rent 1BR - Westbrooke Place - 2201 N Street NW (Washington, DC 20037)
Reply to: hous-663428508@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-05-01, 10:47AM EDT

Convenient Downtown Location Within Walking Distance of 3-Metro Stops...24-Hour Full Size Fitness Center & Indoor Pool...Unique Amenities, Including Complimentary Continental Breakfast Daily + 24-Hr Coffee Service
Westbrooke Place boasts a state-of-the-art fitness center with an array of equipment and televisions.
Feel like entertaining? Bring your guests to our luxurious residential lounge, and watch the game on our large screen television. Take your guests up to our sprawling rooftop terrace and lounge on Adirondack furniture while having a cookout on our full-size gas grill. Want to be alone? Go downstairs to our garden courtyard with a glass of wine, and enjoy our beautiful fountain and landscaping.
Don't settle for ersatz properties when choosing your new home.
Get your keys to Westbrooke Place !
Property Features
Air conditioning
Cable ready
Carpeting
Fireplace
Walk-in closets
Dishwasher
Garbage disposal
Microwave
Refrigerator
Washer/dryer in unit
Balcony/Deck/Patio
Clubhouse
Fitness center
Pool
Tennis court
Controlled access
Parking garage available
Pets are allowed

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:23 pm 

AND YET ANOTHER ONE!!!!
By the way, anyone want to move to Texas? I have a great house....
Here is the one I received today!!!

** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hi,
I was wondering if the room is still available. Please get back to me
if it is still available.
Cheers,
Susan

Hi Susan! It is, although 5 people have looked and said they would get back t...
1:08 PM (6 hours ago)

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:47 PM, susan rice <susanrice050@gmail.com> wrote:

susan rice to me
show details 3:45 PM (3 hours ago) Reply
Hi ,
Thank you for your quick response.I would have loved to set up an
appointment with you but at the moment,i am out of town. My name is
Susan Rice and i am a deaf mute female caucasian of about 25 years of
age.I am a native of York in Pennsylvania. I do not smoke. I am single
with no kids and pets
friendly and easy going. I am currently
trying to obtain my Masters degree in Clinical Pharmacy at Sunderland
University in the UK. I will be rounding up my programme come May
10th,2008. I will be sending you a certified check of $3500 which
will written in your name and cashable in your bank. I am sending you
that much money because i will be using the balance to pay for my
travelling expenses.I know this is a very difficult task but i am
craving your indulgence to please take the check to your bank and cash
it. After cashing,deduct the stipulated fees and send the balance to
my travel agent via moneygram. Moneygram transfer is available in
every Walmart outlets.
Please send me your full name and address in order to write the
payment in your name.
I hope to hear from you as soon as possible

YEAH RIGHT!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:25 pm 

yea... I was looking for a house to rent on craiglist, and here's the scam:

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hearing from you.I am Rev David Cruise ,the owner of the apartment you are making enquiry of.Actually I resided in the house with my family,such as my wife and my daugthers and my little son before and presently we had packed out due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in Manhattan NEW YORK and presently my house is still available for rent for $1000 including the utilities like hydro,washer and security,and the security deposit is the first month rent deposit payment which is $1000 have to be made to me before the keys and the documents of the is going to ship to you and it is furnised.Moreso Now, i went for a Christian Crusade in West Africa and i will like you to get in touch with my wife for more discussion as She is with the keys and the document to the house.Pls i want you to note that,i am a clergy and honest man and i spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintainance of this house and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem to me but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.i will do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.Email my wife Victoria Cruise, on ( vickcruise67@googlemail.com ) and she will attends to you better.

Thanks and you are welcome
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So we emailed this "Victoria", one thing led to another, and before we knew it, "she" was asking us to mail her the deposit for 1000 bux and "she" says "she'd" mail us the key...
we were too smart to fall for that, but before we fully realized this, "she" asked me for my family and my names, our current address, phone numbers, and car models, plus some other less crucial information. I gave "her" all this info, now I'm wondering... will "she" be able to use this info against me in any way? If yes, what should I do?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:20 am 
Gold Member

There is no legal ramification to you not renting the apartment or falling for the scam so your safe there. I also don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the scammers coming after you or your family as long as you don't bait them along. They may use threats to try and scare you into falling for the scam but do not respond to the threats in any way. If they do threaten you take copies of the threats to your local police department and have them start a report just to be on the safe side but the threats are usually empty and nothing comes from them. I wish you the best in your house/rent hunt and am happy you found out this was a scam before it was too late.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:44 pm 

The person with the email: shinefon1@yahoo.com who was talked about earlier is trying to scam me. He is promising me 800 for my laptop. I gave him a secondary email address, and I'm waiting for him to send me the money as I type this.

Once the money is sent, I'm going to transfer it to another account, then request a check for the money. I won't send any laptop until the money has ALL been collected, and put in my hand, IN CASH.

I have all the evidence being recorded of the transaction being made, and they claim to be in bangladesh, so they will NOT get away with this.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:00 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Zee Hypnotist wrote:
Once the money is sent, I'm going to transfer it to another account, then request a check for the money. I won't send any laptop until the money has ALL been collected, and put in my hand, IN CASH.

Just so you know, cash in hand does not mean anything. We had the cash in our hands too . . . then a week later the bank called and told us we had to return that cash. The check is fake, but it takes the system too long to figure that out.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am 

I don't know if both of these have already been posted, but these are two that i've gotten having a room for rent up on craigslist. Just thought I would put them out there.

email addresses that came through with the scam emails:
peggywilliams501@hotmail.com
sy542@drexel.edu
cassandra.s12@hotmail.com

Hello Roomie,

My name is Peggy Williams, I'm 25 years old and i live in Los Angeles, California. I’m single and have never been married, I'm nice, intelligent, responsible, gentle, kind, open minded and am also Christian who is God fearing. I'm a professional Photographer and have worked with a lot of people in US. I am not in the states currently because am working on a contract in Auckland, New Zealand. The reason why am sending you this email is because am looking for a place to move in once i get back to the states and i will be very happy if you can rent out your room to me and am ready to pay the rent and security deposit every month. I have few questions to ask about the room and I would be happy to hear back from you with the answers to my question.

(1) How much is the monthly charges for the room
(2) How many windows and doors do the room has
(3) What's the color and size of the room?
(4) Do you have a parking space?
(5) Do you have churches and stores in your neighborhood?
(6) Do you accept Check cause I will be paying with a Check /Money Orders
(7) When is my moving in date.

I want you to answer all my question in your next email so that I can arrange the payment a head of my arrival. The payment will be sent to you by my Boss cause he’s currently in the US and he will be sending the payment via Ups or Fedex. I’m extrmemly interested in moving in as soon as possible because I have a lot of interest in the room and I would be happy if you can hold the room for me till I arrive back to the states. Can you take few pictures and send it to me and I don’t mind you including your pictures in your next email. About the payment: I want you to understand that i will need the rest balance of the money for the shipment on my car from New Zealand to your state and the rest balance will be used for my BTA since have paid for my ticket. BTA means (Beneficiary Traveling Allowance) I want you to know that without that fee I won’t be able to fly to the states. I will pause here and I will be looking forward to hear back from you soonest.

Warmest Regards

Peggy Williams

Hi There,

How re you doing? I hope all is well. I'm Cassandra Sanchez, am 26 yrs old and Am originally from Barcelona, Spain . Graduate of Huelva University on the Costa de la Luz , I have a master degree in interior fashion and I work as a professional fashion designer. I moved to Phoenix , AZ two year ago for work and that's where am living. I'm am not in the states right now, i am presently in West africa . I am currently working on contract for a company call (African Family Home Fashions) here in West Africa ( Nigeria ) which the contract will be ending soon. I will be returning to the states in two weeks time and I don't want to go back to my where am living in Phoenix because my house rent has expired there. I enjoy traveling, It is very interesting to get more knowledge about the new countries, new people and traditions. It's great to have such a possibility. As i was searching through the web i saw the advert of your place . I would like to know maybe it's still available becasue i'm extremely interested in it. Here are the questions i would like to know about the room before planing to move in to the following questions below:

A}I will like to know the major intersection nearest your neighbourhood.like shopping mall,Churches,bus line e.t.c

B}I will like to know the total cost for the my initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit.
C}I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over.

D}I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
E}I will like to have the description of the place, size, and the equipments in there.

F}I will also like to know Your payment mode.
G}I will like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be stand as a kind of commitment that I am truely coming over and for you to hold the place down for me.
I will be very glad to have all this questions answered with out leaving a stone unturned...

Now a little about myself;I am from Barcelona, Spain : that means i am Spanish and had all my education in Spain . I am 26yrs old and very much single,the only child of my only parent,my mother alive, i lost my father and my only brother years ago while i was still a kid in an auto accident.I am currently living with my mom who's a catholic volunteer worker,but also manages her antique business. She is a volunteer at the sister's of the eucharistic heart of jesus convent,here in Barcelona , Spain . I have been wanted to relocated to the US longtime ago even while i was a little girl growing up and my mom is in support.It' been a long dreamed come true for me when i finnally settled in the US now. I have chosen your city for me to live when i arrive. I am easy to get along with and well mannered. I do not use people's items without permission and consideration. Kindly get back to me ASAP with the your monthly rent and the deposit i need to pay to enable you turn down other interested parties and keep the place for me until i arrive,because i will like to pay for the deposit before my arrival and i will like to know the total amount the rent for a whole year would be,as i am more interested in a long term lease,but still open to any form of lease you want. But i will like to pay the deposit first of all before i arrive to show my seriousness and so that you can hold the place for me until i arrive.I am single as i said and i am not attached to anyone at the moment. I do part time modeling; i call myself an amateur though,LOL,just something i take as a hobby and also i have a masters degree in interior fashion which i bagged from the Huelva University on the Costa de la Luz in Spain . I will be looking to pick up Fashion Designer jobs once i arrive in ur city, Fashion Designer is my life and i love it. I am new living all alone as i have lived with my mom alone in the past but i have no doubs in my mind about my ability to live peacefully with as i was raised to be a lover of peace. A friend just introduced me to this thing and i really wish that i am able to find the good cultured kind of Place i am looking for here. I hope i am doing it right anyways.LOL. Well,i think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects ones privacy,like i said i dont do drugs or smoke but i drink only occasionally,i strongly believe there will be any problems rent the place to me as i was raised by strong catholic Christain parents and have inbibed such good qualities from childhood. I will love to see your pics and those of the place as well.I'll be so glad if you can reserve the place for me and remove all your the adverts abt the place as i'll love to rent the place. Get back to me ASAP

Warmest Regards,
Cassandra Sanchez

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:57 pm 

I have recieved two:

1.) From Katherine Williams (katewille11@aol.com)
Hello to You,I read your ad on craigslist.com,and this is why i am getting back to you, i am interested in knowing the availability of the place and i will also want to know more about the neighboourhood ,the place and the utilities included...?

My name is katherine Williams,am Nurse with humanitarian assistance,I will be 28 by the 25th of next month,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"7' straight,i am presently in south Dakota now ,I will love to move in as soon as possible, but it all depends on the availability of the room,I speaks French and English, so you have the chance to learn french ,i am an interesting person to live with,I'll let You know more about me if i am to rent the particular room that you have to offer

I will be anxiously waiting for your email and i want you to know that i really need the room now and i am the serious type paying rent as long as i am okay with the place and people that i'll be living with.

Kind Regards

Katherine Williams

2.)from Mary Cook (marrymum@yahoo.com)This one is nearly identical to one of the Dorrah posts:
Hi ,
Am Marry Cook by name,I work for Costa Coffee Inc. I live in Sheffield, UK meanwhile, am UK citizen. am straight, easy going and pretty laid back 29yrs old female....i do not smoke nor drink,am a christian but am not fanatical about my religion as i have always learnt to respect others religion/belief. Sometimes i love going to the beach at my leisure time to observe the wonders of nature, I just need the apartment because of special assignment I have to do for my company there and also a privilege for me to visit the States for the first time, am presently in Africa now for a crucial assignment for my company. i will be more delighted to pay 2 months for now meanwhile, I will be paying for the rest at begining of each month and I will make an arrangement for you to get paid. Please, give me the total balance of the first payment for me to move in and let me have your full name and address so that I can forward it to my Boss so he can get the check sent to you as soon as possible.
Warmest Regards,
Marry.

So basically I was clueless when I first posted the add, so the first one went so far as her sending me a check for $39,000, supposedly for a deposit (I never gave her an ammount) and the rest to ship "I just have my dressers,computer table,kitchen utensils and a queen size bed,2 big luggages and my car to be shipped". I IMMEDIATELY realised there was a problem and DID NOT deposit the check. I did however call the bank the check was suppposedly written on (looked them up online for phone #) and they verified that the check was not valid. I then sent them a copy of the check so that their fraud dept could investigate, as local police wil not unless you are actualy out money.

If you are ever unsure if it is a scam or not, call the bank and check. I also recommend reporting fraudlent checks to the banks themselves as they also are invested in stopping this.

I have also included a disclaimer on Craigs list: "Also no scammers, I will not deposit your checks and send you money as I have a brain." But that did not stop #2 from wasting my time and theirs. I thought it sounded fishey after the first one so I wrote "Not to sound crazy or anything, but someone has already tried to rope me into a scam on here, so just know upfront that I can not take financial responsibility for anything more than the rent and possible deposit, and will not deposit a check for a large amount and send money to anyone for you." Even this did not deter "Mary". How does one find a decent roomate?????? :x

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:02 am 

I recently received an email from an alias of Dorah's. She used the name "Marry Cook". I had a feeling it was a scam so did a search and this forum came up. Thankfully, I only emailed her once and her reply alerted me to it possibly being a scam. Her email is word for word what a previous poster posted. I will be seeking some action against her, if possible. Here's the email.

Hello There,
I saw your ad on craigslist and i will like to let you know am interested in renting the spot from you for 3-12 months depends on how long you will have the spot available.Below are just some few things you might want to know about me:
am straight,easy going and pretty laid back 29yrs old female....i do not smoke nor drink,am a christian but am not fanatical about my religion as i have always learnt to respect others religion/belief. Sometimes i love going to the beach at my leisure time to observe the wonders of nature,I work for Costa Coffee Inc.I live in Sheffield,UK meanwhile,am UK citizen. I just need the apartment because of special assignment I have to do for my company there and also a privilege for me to visit the States for the first time, am presently in Africa now for a crucial assignment for my company. and i do really hope to find a good place like yours to live in, pls i will like you to get back to me with the full details (AMOUNT OF RENT/MONTH,POSSIBLE MONTHLY UTILITTIES,EXACT MOVE IN DATE,LIVING CONDITIONS OF THE APT,FURNISHED OR UNFURNISHED...i really dont mind if it is furnished or not, i could take care of that when i arrived US) for the apt And just for you to know that this trip will be sponsored by my boss and every expenses as regards the rent and utilities will be paid in full so you have nothing to worry about as to whether i will be able to pay rent or not, pls be aware that my trip to US is fast approaching and i will apprecite if you get back to me asap to know how we can work things out.
Thanks and God bless
Marry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next