ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Craiglist Scam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 pm 

I received about ten similar requests this past ten days to rent rooms on CraingsList and all are fake. I got that Cutie from SD i before but stopped when she wanted to send me a check and extra money to ship her car. The pattern is : I am from SD (, the most recent state) I am studying in Canada, France, Dublin Belfast, coming to work as a nurse in your area, I speak French and English" etc.
English is full of bad grammar, strange misuse of the language and spelling and typing are also bad. The ad says what I charge and teh details r but they want to know exactly the cost, call you "Roomie' - can have a drink with you and go out ( I am a male, maybe the women get the reverse?!). They want to know exact name,addess etc.
I got a new one yesterday which is also probably fake, Michael McKay, 48., Alhambra, CA needs room for his 21-year old daughter , ignored my request for phone number, daughter's ETA, work place and wanted me to buy $10.00 on some site whihc is legit. I think but new to me to which he can send me a check to pay three months in advance, AFTER I wrote telling him ofthe "female" scammers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:42 am 

katewille02@aol.com is back again, but this time she is from Guam and wanting to come back to the US. The advert she placed was in CL accommodation wanted, and she is now an occupational therapist with a Canadian father and mother from Guam, both deceased.
"She" has now stated she will send advance payment for the room rental and shipping, so I need to respond soon.
What do you think the reaction would be if I asked for a USPS MO as I don't have a bank account? Anyone tried this route?
:0)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:11 am 

Those fakers can forge a MO and send it at their expense by FEd Ex from a false name and address, I ggot $1500 from CA that way! PLEASE do not risk giving any address, phone number etc buecase they are so sick they spend momney to fool you.

TWO INCIDENT; I wrote on here about the check written for over $6000 US for NO exchange on my part. "Too good to be true?" I checked -the car company existed in TX, but the actual check and number was for $20,00 or so for a phone biil AND the Bank blew me off. I I was surprised they did not want to pursue it even though some scammers had access to a customer's actual check and forged the amount on a fake copy of it made out to me. I have a few more from Canada, same modus operandi (MO)- and MO money order!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 pm 

I recently received the same form email from TinaJones11@live.com but under the name of Tina Jones out of Rapid City, SD however the phone number is Seattle WA and when I ran the address provided for "her mum" it came up a business area. Below are the emails. She also sent a pix of the brunette wearing a white collared shirt under a dark pink long leave sweater, jeans and aviator sunglasses. This has really irrtated me from the total waste of my time!!! Luckly I didn't provide any personal information or even the exact address of my property. :evil:

On April 27th:

Hi
Thanks so much for replying my mail,I really do appreciate it ,I would have loved us to see before making any plan but the distance between us is the barrier.I have been to this area once,i came with my mum to see one of her sick friend,we stayed for 2days.since then i have come to love the area.it a great place to start persons life.that is the main reason why am coming over.
You don't have to worry about the payment it will be well taking care of by my dad.
He will be helping me to start my life.
I love him very much he is very loving father.
He does not what me to live alone but,it's no longer his choice. My present address in South Dakota is
2535 W Main 204 Rapid City, SD 57702
I don't party ,so you don't have to worry.
Am living with my Mum in south Dakota. i love her too.my parent are divorced .
My phone number is 206-338-2712 am not always there to take the call course ,am always busy with my mum,she has a store.
I will have look for some thing to do, course i have never worked before,i think it will be good to work.
I will love to move in as soon as possible if that is okay by you.
Yeap please help me get more pics of the room.
Thanks for the mail,i will send you my pics in the next email. Let me know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit
Feel free to ask me any question.
Thanks..

Then the second email:

Hi again ,
Thanks once again for the quick reply,I would have loved to call You but where i am now,i can only communicate through email but I will whenever i get reception .
thanks for the room.without seeing the place ,i smell the kind of person whom you are and i like you,I will want You to know that i am okay with the cost ,if none is included again.....I just have my dressers,computer, table,queen size bed,2 big luggage's and my car(Quest 2006 model) to be shipped...With the way we ve communicated,I am okay with you and i want you to know that i don't want to make any travel plans without securing a place down now,so i ve let my Dad understand more about you and the place,He is really comfortable and he told me that it is a nice area.my Dad will be making payment to hold down the place and the mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is United State Certified money order.pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.Your full name as it will appear on the payment,your work place address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails or a courier service,your phone number on the package to avoid package missing in transit.I will prefer to send it to your work address because you will always be available at work from morning till evening but if home address it will be sitting in your mail and no one will be at home to receive the package.And if you don't receive package at your office address then I guess your home address will be good for the delivery right ? Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay, and i am moving in by Early of May
Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 am 

Dead give-aways are "Mum" which is UK for "Mom' "going over' is across the Ocean, not from E to E coast, which should be "there " and "smell' you is also translated, "sense" is correct. These phrases are wel known to me from Scammers. The "mode' of payment is also translated, we say "method.' SD is the 'in" State for them now. Dad/uncle sending the paayment by "X" (US cheque, check , MO ) mode is another. The "instrument" will be fake and "she" will want money back - your real money to pay for the car or clothes or to "decorate' the place when "she" arrives.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:05 pm 

These scammers are pretty relentless. They will keep trying this on people for as long as they can, so we should spread the word as much as we can and make sure people are careful when looking for a roommate or a moving company. Watch out for more variations of this scam too.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:45 pm 

:lol:
Janez wrote:
goghgirl wrote:

Jeni,

i don't know how this is possible but my uncle too is sick! I have to fly to Canada to be with him. My friend is going to stay at my place while i am gone. You can trust him, he's an FBI agent. I just explained your situation to him and he would be happy to take care of all the details. Shall i give him your address or would you like to talk with him directly?

sincerely

-d

Sweet, I love your reply to her. :mrgreen: Wander if she still wants the place.

That is F'n genius! That's my new default reply. I've been looking for a roommate for like a month and every time I re-post I get at least one or two of these pathetic S&@T heads trying to scam me. I've got better things to do... Like report them. Let's get the word out to the unfortunates that aren't as skeptical about things that are too good to be true. Make Craigslist put a link to this site on their posting for roommates pages! FOR REAL! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 pm 

Man, glad I found this site! Here's the email she sent me!

anribery@aol.com

Hi,

I do appreciate your response,am very glad and want to thank you for getting back to me,I know that it is very important to know more about someone looking to rent from you,So this is a little bio about me.

About me- I am a friendly 28 year old female who works full time as an occupational Nurse. I am down to earth and easy to get along with. I am very respectful of others' space and opinions. I strive for a drama free environment. If you want to hangout and go to a coffee shop, bar, shopping,or just feel like doing something spontaneous, then I am game!, I'm pet friendly but don't own one,i don't keep late nights,I was born in Canada and my mum was from Idaho where i am presently,before my high school i lost my mum and my dad 4 years ago and since then i ave been under the care of my uncle,my mum was a nurse too and that made me to be an Occupational Health Nurse,An occupational health nurse (OHN) is responsible for the health and well being of

employees in the work place,so no problem about job..

My interest in the area is simply because change is needed in everyone's life and i am also looking into a different direction,i ve been getting my life back cause of what happened to me here few months ago cause i had this had this break up that really makes me want to give up everything but i am rebuilding my life,so that is one of the reasons of my moving, because i understand that time wait for no one,Paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends(if you want me to do month to month,and i can also do the lease thing too.),I dont have pet,but i am pet friendly,don't keep late nights too..and am straight.

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in asap,So please email me back if you are looking to rent out asap too,i really would have loved to talk this all over on the phone,but right now the email works faster and getting everything set up,i want to get settle down and get a cell when i move,pls do email me back so i know more about the place and pictures of the place too if you have got... .I really need a roof asap,so pls email me back as soon as you can,and,A picture of mine will be attach in the next email,let me know if we can proceed,as i am looking to leave here(Idaho asap),to see my uncle in Canada before i move over to your place,as he is really sick now...

Thanks for your time and i await your next email.

Andrianne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 pm 

and another email....

jenidaisy@aol.com

Hello,

My name is Jenifer Daisy,a nurse,i was opportuned to see and i read through your posting on craigslist.com concerning the advert you posted, i am expressing my sheer interest in taking up the room, what are the modalities in taking up the place, please have the requirements sent in these form

*Total rent Required before moving in
* Utility Bills

I will be anxiously waiting for your email ,I want you to know that i really need the room now and i am the serious type paying rent ,when emailing me please tell me more about the place and more pics if you have...I am open to any type of lease..

Kind Regards

Jenifer

--------------
and another....

peace2earth00@aol.com

Hi,

I am interested in taking up the room you have available for rent,Do get back to me if the room is still available,i am an occupational

nurse,Respectful and easy to get along with.28yrs old,I dont have any pet,but i am pet friendly,dont keep late nights and am straight female with

no drama,pls do get back to me if you are looking to rent out asap let me know all that i needs to know about the place.I pay bills on time too

Thanks and God bless.

Andrianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:37 am 

Hi everyone,

I just got this reply from a Craigslist ad for a roommate. It sounded fishy so I searched the web and found this thread. I have not yet replied to the email but I'm tempted to play along and draw the person out. I've been seeing commercials for the Matt Damon movie "The Informant" and I would love to bust some @$$#0!& for fraud.

Here is the email I received:

"Good day,
How are you? I contact you regarding to your posting i saw on craigslist today......I hope the room is still available presently for rent.........
Am Tina Jones by name,am interested in the room,i will like to know more about the place,environment,and the utilities surrounded.......
My job--- Am a medical humanitarian nurse,have been doing this for the past 8 years back,our work is to take care of motherless babies,homeless one and all of that,am still kind of young,i just clock 27 years old... Am originally from Finland,i can speak Finnish,swedish very well,and as well as English,i love to live in clean environment,to live with clean people,caring ,responsible,and neat type.... I don't smoke or drink alcoholic drink,but i can live with people that do smoke or drink,that is not a problem for me.... And as well,i don't have a pet,but i can live with a pet that is not a problem for me........If there is any form am going to fill,you can send it for me to view,if am ok with it i will let you know,so when i arrive i will fill it in person....
I will be happy to read from you,i will want to move by the Mid of August,depending on the availability of the room....... I will tell you more about me if the room is still available ...
Hope to read from you...
Thanks"

The name is Tina Jones. Quite an Alglo name for a Finnish lass, don't you think?

I don't want to give this jerk my real email address. Any advice how I should go about snaring this rat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:23 am 

I just got another one:

"How are you doing? Guess fine...I'm Linda Patterson , female 26 yrs
from London, Right now am working for a Non Government Organization on
a program on children with orphans and heart related probs. My next
program/seminars will be in US and I will need a room to stay for
these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the
states. I can't wait to arrive to US cause I've heard a lot about US.
Moreso I will be staying for the period of 12-13 months, Pls do get
back to me with the room description, move in rent fees for the first
month, Utilities and deposit if included. And if any picture of the
room is available, kindly attach it with your reply please.

Hope to read from you. Have a wonderful and productive day.

Kindest Regards.
Linda P."

I wonder how many of these BS replies I'm going to get...?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:49 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

SamAdams wrote:
I wonder how many of these BS replies I'm going to get...?

SEVERAL! Craigslist is crawling with scammers!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:04 am 

I just ran into that same passport. Now it was Frank Moss who owned it.

His info:
fmossrealtors@gmail.com

RECEIVERS NAME: PETERSON EDWARD. ( Company Accountant).
REFERENCE NO :
SENDERS ADDRESS:
RECEIVERS ADDRESS: 106-110 Belgrave Road, London, SW1V 2BJ

+1 206-338-0761
+1 866-939-6245.

Tried to scam me on Craigslist (New York apartment rental) Address:
404 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075
Upper East Side USA.

Attachments:
e-passport.jpg
e-passport.jpg [ 39.95 KiB | Viewed 56156 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:00 pm 

I just received a mail from Frank Moss [mossfrank65@yahoo.com]

But signed by . Lazar Robert
+1 206-338-0761
+1 866-939-6245.

He offered me an apartment on
" The address of the apartment is 635 West 42nd Street Midtown West - (11th & 12th Avenue) USA"

Unfortuatelly, I was scammed by Wanda Burts (Wanda Burts <nyapartmentrentals55@gmail.com) who offered me
an apartment that was on The Apartment is located on 246 East 47th St, New York, NY 10017, USA.

Her phone number: WANDA BURTS -+ 1 206-9844076 of course no one ever answered. As soon as she received the money the apartment- mail - and phone vanished.

This is why I decided to look more thoroughly on this Moss and the telephone he gave me, and found you Thank you for this.

If you need any other detail concerning Wanda.......please let me know If I can stop her from doing this again. I'LL BE VERY GLAD.

But these ar not the only "odd" adds I've found on Craig list, I've informed them all but they keep apearing. Is there anything we can do?
Regards
Rosario

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:27 pm 

I was also communicating with Wanda!

Here´s some of our emails from THIS week!

These people need to get a really bad decease.

I guess I need to stick with the trusted apt websites. CL is too sketchy.

---------------
Western Union is safe.

I can send you my contract and agreement form to guarantee the payment.

Thanks so much

KINDEST REGARDS
WANDA
----------------
Hi Wanda.

I haven´t used WU in a while, do they offer some sort of protection for me? Excuse me for being cautious.
I´m not completely at ease with sending that amount of money without the security that there will be an apartment when I arrive in the city. No disrespect to you of course.

What about using http://www.iescrow.com ? I´ve used them before when I sold a car, safe and easy.

Or I can have a friend come by the apt with a check.

Thanks a lot / Pierre
------------
Hi,

I'll personally be at the apartment to handover the keys to you and check you in to the apartment.

I have withdrawn more than $3000(monthly limit) from my paypal account this month so i will not be able to accept payment via paypal at the moment.

You can send the payment via Western Union

Below is my info:

Name: Wanda Hernandez
City: NYC
State: NY
Zipcode: 10016

Email me back with the western union information after you make the payment.
Info such as:

10 digit MTCN nbr
Sender's First Name
Sender's Last Name
Sender's Address
Amount sent
Text question and answer(if any)

Thanks and im waiting to hear from you today so i can book you down and reserve the apartment for you.

Please keep the apartment clean and make no damages

KINDEST REGARDS
WANDA
----
Hi Wanda.

I email you about two apartments. This one and the SoHo one. I obviously only need one of them, so how do we lock this one down?

I can have friend come and take a look at the place and hand over a check. Or how do you normally do the transaction?

Thanks / Pierre

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next