ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I found a great roommate, but my friend got scammed bad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:52 am 

I loved my experience with Roommates.com, I found the best roommate ever. So I was not reluctant to refer the sight to one of my bestfriends. He just spent every penny he had on purchasing his first home. He planned and saved for a very long time. He was scammed from a Nigerian. Same story we are all hearing... "She" mailed him the deposit and six months of rent in advance and in the form of a money order. Communication was kept and "she" seemed very likable and easy to get along with. "She" soon after had an emergency and needed him to refund a portion back. And yes, since they prey on good people which many of us are... my friend did so without hesitation! "She" continued to email her move-in information (so suspitsion wouldn't raise) after a few days, he never heard from "her" agian. The bank notified my friend the money order wasn't real. But not till his $2000 "refund check" was cashed and he was now responsible to pay. He was in the negative and he struggled to pull himself out.

I don't understand why the banks can't detect these fake money orders;
however, I don't put any blame on the banks.

I just recently moved and it was time for me to search for another roommate. I used roomates.com again and without suprise... these Nigerian Scammers are still up to no good. MANY times I was offered money in advance. And many times they were "a model"

The scam is coming in veriouse forms as well. They are now asking for the American to open accounts! And their reasons are very convinsing!
Also many times they don't say they are In Nigeria (some other country), or they are a model (I got "student with weathy parents" once)

4 things I can suggest to look for : 1- advance payment 2- They often ask for your regular e'mail address so they can communicate that way (scammers aren't even paying the small roommates.com fee to commit their scams) 3-They are not in this country and 4- Their sence of urgency ( they want you to act now, instealing you with fear you may loose this "perfect roomate".

My sympathy to all of those scammed who work hard in life to have a down-right-bad-person steal their money leaving them with nothing they can do about it. This particular scam in the end sent my good friend on a downward spiral which almost cost him his new home.