ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narrowly Avoided a Scam
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:40 pm 

I was contacted via a craigslist ad by a girl named Jennie Robert claiming to be needing a room in my area and at first it seemed pretty innocent but then she started talking about sending me more money than needed and that i was going to have to send the rest back (apparently cause her uncle is stingy and all this stuff). She said she was from the uk but then suddenly she had gone to Nigeria (the reason for this because her stepmother was getting a kidney transplant, this was a big red flag for me). Then she was sending me 4,000 dollars for a 1,130 dollar lease and it was just getting to fishy in my mind. The conversations (on MSN messenger) were constantly going around in circles and things just were getting more and more complicated and i didn't understand it... so i looked it up and i'm glad to have discovered that it's a scam before i got the check and did all that stuff (although i was actually thinking of having it sent to my grandfather who has a license in federal securities and a license with the exchange commission)
I'm also glad to see i'm not the only one being contacted with these crazy claims. For a bit it just seemed so innocent but now i can see that it's fairly common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:43 pm 

Apparently they already sent the check... what should i do with it? send it back? I also told the person i thought they were scamming me and told them i couldn't go through with the transaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:05 pm 
destroy the check

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:37 pm 

is there anything else i should do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:03 pm 
grzesiek024 wrote:

report her email account to the provider, you have not suffered a loss the cops will have no interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:06 pm 

armac wrote:
grzesiek024 wrote:

report her email account to the provider, you have not suffered a loss the cops will have no interest.

alright, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:02 pm 

another question, the thing that struck me the most odd was that this "girl" said she was in the UK and then suddenly had to go to Nigeria for an emergency. Is this a usual pattern? Cause it almost got me but also was a good ploy to make me sympathize with the situation. But the biggest mistake they made was timing, cause i have to move out soon from my apartment and she kept on insisting she'd arrive before i left for my destination (Even asked me to pick her up from the airport) but also that i would have to send the money to her in Africa as soon as possible. But the check (at least she says in the e-mail) will arrive next wednesday, and so for me to the wait the 5 days, and send the money back would probably take another week which would be the day that she would "supposedly" arrive. And i said, why can't i just give it to you when you get here? and she would reply, cause i need to get some stuff here before i go... and then i got an e-mail from a "David Morgan" supposedly a CEO of First Credit Bank, it was what really tipped me off cause the grammar was terrible (what bank uses "PLS" and "u" in their e-mails?!) and that it's e-mail was "firstcredit001@yahoo.com")... and then i decided to really research it and found this site. thank god right? But still, i couldn't help falling for her little story, in one of my e-mails i wrote "i'm sorry if you're a victim of coincidence but" and then i post a scam alert there and said i wasn't going to go through with it. Of course, it was a real person I'm sure they would've really tried to get into contact with me to tell me otherwise... and i haven't heard crap. I'm just glad i got this, they caught me at a really stressful time (i'm going to Europe as an exchange student and how terrible would it be to arrive and find i've been duped and lost 4,000 dollars?!).
great site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

grzesiek024 wrote:

You can try contacting your local FBI office and Attorney General's office . . . they may or may not take the information (kind of depends on which state you are in)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch