There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roomate Scam-Seems to be valid cheque from cdn company
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 pm 

Hi there,

After reading through all the previous posts, was wondering if anyone had an incident such as the one I am experiencing happen to them?

Was contacted over a mth ago by a pretty yougn IT consultant out of Australia that works for a compnay call SYDIT. She phoned me once and was put off by her accent which she claimed to be a mix of South African (where she claimed she was born) and Australia where she moved to later in her childhood.

:idea: 1st thing that made me weary is that she sent me an email with her interest, then when i responded to tell her to tell me more about herself she sent me another email in where she made the mistake of saying she was looking forward to moving to the US where I clearly stated in my ad and my previous email that i was located in Canada, she emailed back and corrected herself

:idea: 2nd thing was that only in speaking to her once on the phone she then proceeded to send me an email saying that she made arrangments with her bank to send me the money and sent it via FEDEX with tracking number, when I received the package there was a cheque for 4800$ from a real estate company out of Toronto Canada (I searched the company the net after becoming suspicious)

:idea: 3rd thing is that i was that i then proceeded to email her after the receipt of the cheque and told her i was very uncomfortable with her sending me such a large amount, she proceeded to email me back saying that she felt she could trust me with her moving expenses through our email correspondance and the one phone call we had together

:idea: 4th thing she then emailed me her flight itenerary which lacked confirmation information which seemed to be deleated out, seemed to be her way of trying to re-assure me that indeed she was ligit, and was very forward in her way of speaking which by the way her grammar was geetin increasingly worse with every email, she proceeded to tell me make sure to pick her up at the airport ect. she did not ask she just said please pick me up at the airport etc. now this was getting me suspicious I have friends from Australia and they have manners so it wasnt a cultural barrier in her writing to me and being so bold in telling me what to do....

:idea: 5th thing and most important.... I talked it over with some people and we came to the conclusion that i should not deposit the cheque in fear that it was some sort of Scam (this was before i found this website) so i emailed her back and told her that I would not be depositing the cheque until i met her in person....

:idea: 6th thing....never heard from her again....she is suppose to arrive tonight according to her itenerary which i think is totally bogus, so i will wait at home to see if anyone shows up.....but im not holding my breath...on monday i plan to call this company in Toronto, Canada to see if they know anything about this cheque I have which they supposidly sent to me on her behalf...

Wondering if anyone has experienced this?

:idea: :!: O and by the way 7th thing that made me all more convinced that I'm being tried to be scammed is that last week i received another email from a girl in london england emailing for the room on behalf of her sister and made the mistake of saying she is looking forward to moving to the US and again I am in Canada....she later sent me an email and corrected herself as well....Jenny Wilton the same name as others on this forum seemed to have been contacted by....

I will confirm my suspicions about this Australian girl tomorrow for all of you should she not show up tonight.

Post subject: Re: Roomate Scam-Seems to be valid cheque from cdn company
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:12 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I would have to agree that this sounds like a scam.

Quote:
she made the mistake of saying she was looking forward to moving to the US where I clearly stated in my ad and my previous email that i was located in Canada, she emailed back and corrected hersel

big red flag . . . they are running so many scams that they cannot keep their info straight.

Quote:
in speaking to her once on the phone she then proceeded to send me an email saying that she made arrangments with her bank to send me the money and sent it via FEDEX with tracking number, when I received the package there was a cheque for 4800$ from a real estate company out of Toronto Canada

How many people would really send that much money to someone that they have talked to once? Again, red flag.

Don't deposit the check, in fact I would destroy it.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch