Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I being scammed - 2 different people emailed me
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:54 am 

Here's the first one:

Hello,
I'm writing you After excessive enquiries on accommodation listing on the craigslist.org your property happens to interest my personalty and has been singled out by me. I am Jenny a 26 year old female living in the Great britain,EUROPE after the death of my father and am a professional in the field of fashion design. The daily theory achievements have warranted me to want to relocate to Us so i can further more on my career and make it well in life course i have all it takes to these have warranted the need for a special and comfortable room and roommate were I will stay for the duration of a year or more depending on how the lease is been drawn; all expenses are the responsibility of my client who is owing me some few dollars. Please do get back to me as soon as you can, with the full details on: Rent, Room Size, Neirbourhood,Intersections and exact amount for rent, method of payment since I will be arriving 2nd week of November or Ending. Furnished?telling me the modulation involved in the rent of the room. You can email at jjennylonelly1980@yahoo.com,i will be waiting for you urgent reply
and will also be looking forward to you reply.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
May God Bless You!!!
Jennifer Betty.

Here's the second:

Hi,

i read your ad about the room on craigslist and i am really interested in renting it,kindly get back to me with all the necessary information about the place,and if you have current pics send them to me via email.
i will be really glad to settle payment for the room before i move in that means i will not be able to set an appointment to come see it but will appreciate it enough if your replies includes shots of rooms,baths and outside views for me, want to have it ready for me to move in and stay throughout, house must be close to { Ypsilanti} area.
I will like to know the rent including any deposits,utilities if its furnished or not and when its going to be available for move in. Pls include pics,phone nos in replies by landlords, roomates only! No Brokers or Agents! thanks

Amelia Duviver

Same girl, most recent email:

Hi,
thanks for your prompt reply.the monthly cost is quite affordable so i will be sticking with this,the details and description are wonderful so i know what i'm expecting to see.i am considering staying for a year.i will also like to know when the room will be available for move in cos i am not going to be around until the end of this month but the rent is ok so i will like to start paying so you can book the room for me.i am a representative of Mastoofy Jewels a family orientated jewel dealers, they currently dont have a web but has got designated branches in the States and Canada and my division is in Ontario, my contract manager will be responsible for the first deposit and utilities payment upfront then i will be paying the rest monthly and timely too. im moving from west africa i came down here due to some offers from some buyers which im about to seal deal and be over with. Im relocating to the area to establish myself and expand in experience and get into the jewel field of my own and also im a 25 yo professional young lady with 3 years exprience in proffessional hair styling, single and am an easygoing person,i don't smoke nor drink,and don't come home late in the night i don't attend night party nor bring over night visitors,i like reading novels and friendly with people,Am neat and like to live in a clean area and with a clean and nice person,i don't smoke but don't mind others smoking.And i would like to say that if there are any paper works that need to be filled and signed i will only be able to do that once im intown and before i move in i will do all that neccessary i will be looking forward to hearing back from you as soon as possible.thanks
:shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm 
Gold Member

They're all scams, I'm afraid.

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:27 pm 

Hi
thank you for posting that. I was also skeptical and got the same email.

Hi,

i read your ad about the room on craigslist and i am really interested in renting it,kindly get back to me with all the necessary information about the place,and if you have current pics send them to me via email.
i will be really glad to settle payment for the room before i move in that means i will not be able to set an appointment to come see it but will appreciate it enough if your replies includes shots of rooms,baths and outside views for me, want to have it ready for me to move in and stay throughout, house must be located in clean and nice enviroment easy access routes area.
I will like to know the rent including any deposits,utilities if its furnished or not and when its going to be available for move in. Pls include pics,phone nos in replies by landlords, roomates only! No Brokers or Agents! thanks

Hi,
thanks for your prompt reply.the monthly cost is quite affordable so i will be sticking with this,the details and description are wonderful so i know what i'm expecting to see.i am considering staying for a year.i will also like to know when the room will be available for move in cos i am not going to be around until the end of this month but the rent is ok so i will like to start paying so you can book the room for me.i am a representative of Mastoofy Jewels a family orientated jewel dealers, they currently dont have a web but has got designated branches in the States and Canada and my division is in Ontario, my contract manager will be responsible for the first deposit and utilities payment upfront then i will be paying the rest monthly and timely too. im moving from west africa i came down here due to some offers from some buyers which im about to seal deal and be over with. Im relocating to the area to establish myself and expand in experience and get into the jewel field of my own and also im a 25 yo professional young lady with 3 years exprience in proffessional hair styling, single and am an easygoing person,i don't smoke nor drink,and don't come home late in the night i don't attend night party nor bring over night visitors,i like reading novels and friendly with people,Am neat and like to live in a clean area and with a clean and nice person,i don't smoke but don't mind others smoking.And i would like to say that if there are any paper works that need to be filled and signed i will only be able to do that once im intown and before i move in i will do all that neccessary i will be looking forward to hearing back from you as soon as possible.thanks

Post subject: Here is another one - Damon Jenny
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:16 pm 

Thanks so much for the mail.I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house.I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates.com as i'll love to rent the place. And please tell me if i can ever consider the room as mine.I'm from England, a quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"9' straight.I am 29 years old. I dont drink and smoke but i'm cool living with people that do.I always love to go on date but seldomly party.I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. My families live in Australia and i have no friends in US except you lol..... I am currently working on contract for my company JEK consulting INC. here in West Africa.I had professional certification in CCNA.We sell computers and its components(soft wares inclusive).I hope to end my current assignment by 5th of December and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.However, based on your mail..I will love to know the preferable mode of payments.. I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than Twelve months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.
The things i will be moving in are as follow;
my Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metalic green.
suite case containing my books
my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
my clothes in three luggages
my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of
furnitures.
Hope to hear from you soon
Regards
Damon Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:19 pm 

Wow - you'd think they'd switch things up a bit:

Thanks so much for the mail. I really do appreciate
> the breakdown details of the house. I'll be so glad if
> you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert
> from roommate.com as i'll love to rent the place.
> And please tell me if i can ever consider the room as
> mine.
>
> About me .............
>
> I am a Briton currently working on contract in
> Africa, a quiet and easy going person to live with.
> I'm 5"7' straight , neat and drug free.I dont drink
> and smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I
> always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim
> for fun and sometimes play tennis. My families lives
> there in Great Britain and i have no friends in the US
> except you lol..... I am currently working on contract
> for my company JEK consulting inc. here in Africa. I
> had professional certification in CCNA Computer. I
> hope to end my current assignment by the 1th Feb and
> will love to come down as soon as possible to explore
> my talent and hope to have a more profitable job.
>
> However, based on your mail i will be making a
> payment per month to move in. I must confess i'm
> comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and
> affordable. I had like to make the payment for the
> first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make
> subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for
> more than 9months. So i'll client to see you'll get
> the payment prior to my arriving date. The things i
> will be moving in are as follow;my Mercedes (C-class
> 2004 model) metalic green. suite case containing my
> books my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre my
> clothes in three luggages my desk top computer
> (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures.I hope its all you
> can handle for me.
> Hope to hear from you soon
> Regards
> Susy Henry.

Post subject: Re: Am I being scammed - 2 different people emailed me
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:09 pm 

Some more of the same, scam scam scam. This is what the recent emails look like, they don't change much :)

My name is sandra cole,I am 25 years of age from the Great Britain,a very simple and quiet person to live with. I love travelling, sporting and enjoy meeting people. I dont smoke but do not mind people who do being around me. I am cool, pretty laid back and easy going person and like to have a mate who is very responsible and understanding mate.

I work currently in the field in Africa.I'm working presently with my company JEK Construction Inc here in Africa.I had CCNA in certification and do hope to end my current assignment soon .

I hope to come down as soon as I do to explore my talent and love to have a more profitable job .I'm willing and ready to lease for 9months. I saw your advert and I'm sincerely interested in the place advertised as I will be moving to the in as soon as I leave here (Africa).
Please reply to my message if it's still available for rent.

Thanks as I anxiously await your response. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.Note: pls email back here.(sandracole101@yahoo.com)

Regards
sandra.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm 

and if you respond straight and to the point such as "... I'll need first and last months rent and please fill out the rental application and make sure to include 3 references within the US". This is the type of response you can expect, hehe, they are funny.

Thanks so much for the mail. I will be intrested in the room , I will really do appreciate it if you could get back to me with the breakdown details of the house and agreed staying with you as a roomie. I'll be so glad if you can reserve it for me and remove the advert from Ad site as I'll love to rent the place. Am sorry i did not have access to phone over here and also have attached my pic on this email you can go ahead and check it And also we will not be able to meet in person until i pack my things down there and also i am okay with all details of the apartment.
And please tell me if I can ever consider the place as mine.
About me .............
I am a female from the Great Britain (UK) currently working on contract in Africa, a quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight , neat and drug free. I don't drink and smoke but I'm cool living with people that do. I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. My families lives there in Great Britain and I have no friends in the out there except you lol.....
I am currently working on contract for my company JEK consulting inc. here in Africa. I hadprofessional certification in CCNA. I hope to end my current assignment by the 30th of Oct and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more Profitable Job
However, based on your mail i will be making a payment per month to move in. I must confess I'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 9 months But can also stay for the 3 month the lease is for before moving out and get prior to my arriving date.
The things I will be moving in are as follow :
My Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metallic green.
my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
my clothes in three luggages
my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of
furnitures.I hope its all you can handle for me.
I'll also like to tell you that am paying for the 1st month before my arrival and the rest month upon my arrival,will also like to know how much the rental fee is for a month with utilities and charges if any.
Regards
sandra.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm 

HI
I got a email on facebook a few days ago about someone that was interested in the room that I am trying to fill. I thought it was a little weard that someone from the UK would like to move to the US with such little information. I would this site after doing some web searches and read the other posts. The info that the woman was sending me was almost identical. I realized it was a scam but can someone tell me what the person was after? I am no longer responding to his or her emails. Here are some of the emails.

Hello Jason,

How are you doing today?

Thanks for the mail, and i do really appreciate, so about you talking
to me on phone that no problem at all cos i am more than interested in
renting the room so i want to understand i cant be able to call for a
litte while cos the network here in Uk, macnchester is a little bit
bad, so i will do so as soon as i can to talk to you, so i will like
to be getting to the state as soon.

So about my client is the one that will be mailing the check out to
you in a USD, so all you are to do is get the check have it cashed
have the money for the first month deducted and all other fees that
have to be deducted also so i will likt you to also have $100 for
yourself and have the rest sent via western union money transfer to my
private shipping company that will be responsible for the pick up.

I hope this all you can handle for me and if i can trust you with the
shipping company funds?

So i await the full information to send payment.

Thanks for the mail. I'm so glad to hear from you,I will have paid you
> for the rent before my move in Date, Concerning my Properties which
> ill be coming with to the state.
>
> Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metalic green.
> suite case containing my books
> my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
> my clothes in three luggages
> my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures
>
> However, i'll be out to get a shipper who will be moving my properties
> in before my moving in date. In the mean time, i'll be needing your
> full name, mailing address and your phone number so as to prepare the
> payment as my client will be sending cashier check or money orders to
> pay ( $3500.00 being money due to me) from which i'll like you to
> deduct the fee for my room and also have $100 for yourslef and help
> me keep the balance with you as i'll be needing some money to pay the
> shipper that will move my things down to the state. I will keep you
> posted of when you are likely to receive the payment.I hope i can
> trust you and i can as well be trusted
>
> So therefore you will have to send the excuss fund on the check to the
> shipper as for them to come over to the state to deliver my Properties
> to my new home.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
> Jenny

Thanks so much for the mail. I will really appreciate the breakdown
> details
>> of the house. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and
> remove
>> the advert from Ad site as i'll love to rent the place. And please
> tell me
>> if i can ever consider the room as mine.
>>
>> About me .............
>> I am a Briton currently working on contract in Uk, a quiet and easy going
>> person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight , neat and drug free.I
> dont drink and
>> smoke buti'm cool living with people that do. I always love to go on
> date
>> but seldomly party. I swim for fun andsometimes play tennis. My families
>> lives there in Great Britain and i have no friends in the US except you
>> lol..... I am currently working on contract for mycompany JEK consulting
>> inc. here in Uk. I had professional certification in CCNA. I will be
> ending
>> my current assignment very soon and will love to come down as soon as
>> possible to explore my talentand hope to have a more profitable job.
>>
>> However based on your mail i will be making apayment per month to move in.
> I
>> must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable
> and
>> affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my
>> arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter. So i'll
> client
>> to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.
>>
>> The things i will be moving in are as follow;
>> my Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metalic green.
>> suite case containing my books
>> my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
>> my clothes in three luggages
>> my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of
>> furnitures.
>>
>> I hope its all you can handle for me.
>> Hope to hear from you soon
>> Jenny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Quote:
I realized it was a scam but can someone tell me what the person was after?

The check that they send you for the rent will be counterfeit. It will be for more than the amount that you need for rent, so once you cash it they will ask you to wire them back the overpayment. After a week or so the bank will find out that the check is counterfeit, and then YOU will be held liable for the money.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: I got the same email
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:22 pm 

Thanks so much for the mail. I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from the site as I?ll love to rent the place.

I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I don?t drink and smoke but I?m cool living with people that do. I always love to go on date but seldom party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis.

My family lives here in uk and I have no friends in US except you LoL..... I am currently working on contract for my company JEK consulting inc. here in uk. I had professional certification in CCNA. I hope to end my current Assignment by jan ending. and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job as I study. I do not have a picture presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.

However, based on your mail I will be making a payment of to move in. I must confess I?m comfortable with the cost and it?s quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then I will make subsequent payment thereafter as I plan to stay for more than 12months. So I?ll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date. The things I will be moving in are as follow:

My Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metallic green.Not sure for now
Suite case containing my books
My 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
My clothes in three luggage?s
My desk top computer (COMPAQ) and
Pieces of furniture.
Regards
Rose.
More about yourself

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 pm 

Same Scam....still operating. You really would think they would change the wording!!

Hello Roomate,

Thanks so much for responding to my introductory email..Please i'll like to have the breakdown details, the total move in cost of the room as well as the picture of the house as i'll not be able to check out the place until my arrival, so that i can make arrangement for payment prior to my arrival since i'll be coming down from the UK as soon as i'm able to secure a comfortable room. I'll also like to know a bit about yourself..

My name is Mickie Freeman,a very simple and quiet person to live with. I love travelling,sporting and enjoy meeting people.I dont smoke but do not mind people who do being around me. I am cool, pretty laid back and easy going person and like to have a roommate who is very responsible and understanding. I saw your advert and i am sincerely interested in the room advertised as i will be moving to NZ as soon as i leave here. Please contact me if the place is still available.

Thanks as i anxiuosly await your email.

Thanks so much for the email. I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from share accomodation as i'll love to rent the place. And please tell me if i can ever consider the room as mine.

Let me tell you a little more about myself.I'm british, a quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 26 years, 5"7' tall,straight,female and single. I dont drink and smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. My families lives in the Uk and i have no friends in NZ.I am a photographer and coming to NZ on a mission of taking pictures of the place and making an album.

However, based on your email i will be making a payment to move in. I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 6months. So i'll reach over to my client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.

The things i will be moving in are as follow;

My suite case containing my books, my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre ,my clothes in three luggages,my laptop (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures.
I will email you a picture of me in my next email in other to have an idea of the kind of person that is coming to stay in your place.

Regards

Mickie Freeman.