ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Your Expert Opinions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:35 pm 

Hi. I recently began searching for someone to move into my extra room. I've signed up with a few different roommates sites as well as made postings on myspace and craigslist.

I have recieved several replies (I believe via craigslist) which sounded really strange. Also the english was horrible so I immediately deleted them because I woun't stand to live with a retard anyway.

My dilemma is the more I read about these scams on the internet, the more paranoid i am getting to the few replies I recieve that really do sound genuine.

I have three people right now that I have replied back to but I was wondering if I could get your take on their e-mails.

1.Hey man,

I saw your posting on Craig's list and was interested in the room....

I'm a 24 white male with a good job, so you'll never have to worry about late rent. I'm originally from Dallas and I travel a lot for my job (Mon-Thur), so I basically just need a cheap place to keep my crap until I come home on the weekends. I have a couch, desk, tv/stand, and coffee tables if you don't have it. I'm clean and don't bitch about small crap.

When are you looking for someone to move in? My lease is up at the end of this month, so I wouldn't be able to move in till Sept.

Email me if you're interested or have any questions,

-Justin

2.Whats goin on. My name is Ryan and I'm 23 y/o. Room opening sounds great.
I'm moving back to Michigan from Los Angeles in 2 days. Just recently was
discharged from the Marine Corps so I'm very responsible when it comes to
bills. Really easy going and love kickin back, drinking a couple beers and
watching sports in off time. Played semi-pro hockey for the Plymouth Whalers
so I'm definetly a huge hockey fan. Ended up getting injured though. Anyway,
Sounds good and want to come take a look. Give me a call as soon as you can
to talk more about it. CELL (310)488-7050. Thanks bro. RYAN

3.Plz any email response to this message should be sent to my mail box directly at jessicaallens@yahoo.com for immediate response.

My name is Jessica Allens, a Civil Engineer, Real Estate Broker, and Licensed Contractor. I grew up in Michigan, but have called California my home for the past 11 years. I am a happy, energetic, athletic, funny, intelligent, and personable woman, and go to at least one new country, every year
a very simple and quiet person to live with. I love travelling, sporting and enjoy meeting people. I dont smoke but do not mind people who do being around me. I am cool, pretty laid back and easy going person and like to have a roommate who is very responsible and understanding roommate. I saw your advert and i am sincerely interested in the room advertised as i will be moving to the states as soon as i leave here [UK]. Please contact me if you are still looking for a mate, preferably through my mail address for a swift response alone.............( jessicaallens@yahoo.com) .
Thanks as i anxiuosly await your mail. I am looking
forward to hearing from you soon.
Regards
jessie.

This last reply included a photo of the woman.

As I said, I am extremely cautious with the replies I've been getting. I even googled some of the names of people who've replied and for those that I find info on, the info doesn't match the letters. This was most evident in two different people who claimed to be models. The names were real but the info didn't match up.

Anyway, that's my problem and I appreciate your help/opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:43 pm 

what confuses me about the last one is she says she has lived in Cali the last 11 years but then later says that she is living in the UK

but on the other hand she was the only one to go out of the way to send a pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:56 pm 

Number one is a weirdo, delete him....

Number two is a possibility, this is the only one that has some sense of honesty to it, if he was in the Marine's then he will have some sort of ID or discharge papers to prove it. He's also willing to come out and look at it first.

Number three is a definate scam, they will send a pic of "anyone's" image they get off the net that pic doesn't mean a thing! Run, don't walk, as fast as you can!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:00 pm 

Well, I think the fact the second one included a phone# is pretty reassuring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:13 pm 

Oh, and what do you find weird about the first letter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:52 am 

He's very vague about himself and he seems to have made up his mind before even seeing the place or meeting you, why doesn't he leave any contact info beside a reply to his email? Someone who's really interested would want to make contact as soon as possible and would definately have more questions. And the same would go for you not knowing this person or meeting him first. I know I wouldn't accept a place without seeing it first and meeting the roommate. I've read so many of these over the years that it's not difficult for me to pick out a problem.