ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there nothing I can do?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:57 pm 

I became a victim of fraud this morning when I had a gut feeling to call my bank about a large withdrawal I made yesterday pertaining to money orders that had supposedly cleared my account. I, along with a few others, have found myself victim to Roommates.com. All the warning signs were there, but I didn't think to do any research like some fortunate people. I feel dumb, but I know I'm not a dumb person. I am just wondering if there can be any justice done in this situation. I feel upset with Roommates.com and need to know if I can do anything else. I have done it all, the local police, secret service, FBI, attorney general, and my bank! I feel there is nothing else I can do. My $4,500 loss is too much money to just say ok, that sucks, but I’ll pay you back with all my savings, as well as some wonderful repayment plan that will probably take years. If anyone has any thoughts, or insight, I am open to any suggestions.

Sarah – First Time Fraud Victim
Li_luscious@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:42 pm 

Sarah I know that you want justice in this so bad, but reality is that these swindlers are most likely outside the USA where our government has no authority to investigate much less make an arrest. That is what the scammers count on.

Reality- You owe your bank $4500.00 there is no getting around this, call the bank Workout department and make a payment arrangement with them. Before you do that, take a sheet of paper and make two columns the first Income coming in monthly and the second being Outgoing money to bills, rent, food , transportation and any other payments due monthly. At the bottom take the income total and subtract the expenses and that is what you have to work with monthly. If the bank gets nasty then fax them a copy of your worksheet.

Keep record of each call you make to the bank, day date time and rep you talk to , how did the conversation go, were any agreements made?

In the future if that is needed it is record of attempts to resolve the debt. Anything that they want you to sign have someone look it over and mail any letters via certified mail return receipt. Keep a copy of the letters with the return receipt stapled to them when it comes back for records.

If worse comes to worse you can always let them take you to court and ask the judge for a mediator, take all your records with you showing you have attempted to resolve the debt and what you have to work with financially monthly.

Though the banks bully people they are also smart enough to know that you cannot bleed a turnip. If they have any hope of recouping loses they have to work with you not against you.