ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think I am a target of a roommate scam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:24 am 

I am leaving out some details until I get her next e-mail, which should tell me a lot more.

Luckily nothing has transpired yet. This appears to be a variation on some of the Susan Smith scams that I have seen posted here. I was contacted by someone on (good old) roommates.com who is seeking a roomie for a year while on educational leave here in the US. I told her how much I would need as a deposit, but her last letter stated that her employer would be sending half of her study leave pay to the roomie, and the other half to her when she arrives. The variants are as follows:

She does not claim to be a model, computer consultant, or any of the other ones. She claims to be with a real organization, that does exist overseas. I have tracked down that information so far. I have also sent a request to the organization to see if they know her or her supervisor. I did go so far as to track down the website , and the website and organization are a government entity, which validates what she has told me so far. Because everything so far she has said traces down to real people and real government entity. I am trying to find out what school she plans to attend in my area, since I do IT work for all the universities here where I am, so I will easily be able to find out if she is indeed enrolled for the January term

It MAY be legit. I am waiting to hear more from her. Once I get the next e-mails I will post a follow-up. I am not putting her info out here just yet as I want to see which way the e-mails will go. She DID offer to send via bank wire, which I am not keen about giving out my routing information

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:34 am 

OK as I thought, it is too good to be true. I did some more research, and one of the things I found is that her e-mails are actually originating out of Lagos, Nigeria. I should have checked her origin IP sooner.

One of the things that I have heard about WHY these scams persist, is that the Nigerian Government itself, is actually involved, at some of the highest levels.

I will be posting more details once I get her next e-mail. Funny thing was, this one's grammar was actually quite articulate, instead of some of the usual stuff, when you can tell they are not a native English speaker. The Nigerians must have recruited some English Speakers to help perpetrate the frauds.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:36 am 

Well I knew it, here it comes now

This is the latest from her. I have omitted personal details. Now someone else must be writing it since this is not as articulate

-----

I am sorry i would stress you a little because i am having some probs here in Paris due to the latest Riot which has caused some inconviniences to my arrival to the state but will feel more better if you could help me in getting to the state.

I just spoke to my boss now and told him about our discussion and he was highly pleased that i've been able to secure a place,.Like I discussed with you earlier that my salary for my programme here in UK is $12000 and my boss is only ready to pay me half of $6000 and he promised to send the remaining $6000 to my destination in US latest 3rd day of my arrival which is the house I will be staying(your house).I already signed an agreement with him that I should be paid in US Money Order simply because I know my next stay will be in the US and I won't like to start carrying cash around so I requested for Money Orders which was approved by me.Since I have agreed to pay $826.50 for the room price then you can easily take the money order of $6000 to your bank to have it cashed or deposited and immediately you have money you will then deduct your $826.50 and send my Trvael agent the balance thru any Money Gram location around you and that is all.

The Money will be received there in 10mins after you have completed the Money Gram transaction and he will settle all my expenses i.e my Travel ticket fees,Donation for the children with heart related probs,Bills,Moving of furnitures by Shipper and some Shopping and Immediately all has been done,i will depart to arrive the same day or latest the following day.All I need to send to you now is my travel agent's Money Gram receiver's info and you will get that on or before you receive the payment.
I hope this should be clearer now so pls feel free to reply me asap and let's know if we can proceed so that you can receive money order nextweek while I will arrive the same day at night depending on the delivery of the payment or the following morning.I hope you know that the payment will still be on your name so that your bank can attend to you easily with no hassle so pls expect the payment and send the rest via any Money Gram location around you once you have cash at hand.Thanks so much and pls reply me immediately because I am still hanging by my computer so your reply really means alot.I 'll let you know as soon as i get the details of the flight information,from the travel agent.Thanks so much for the understanding and hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,