There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rental Scam Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 am 

Hi

I had posted an ad on Craig's List for a room to rent and got a response that I had no idea was a scam. I had given them my address and phone number. By giving them that information can they do anything? I did not give any bank information or credit card information. It's kind of a weird one because I don't know why you would do sort of a reverse kind of scam or what the benefit is to the scammer? Can you give me the best advice on what to do if anything for this? I want to report it in some way but am not sure where or how even with the suggestions here on where to report. I didn't give any monetary information.

Thanks,

XXX

Last edited by Janez on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete name

Post subject: Re: Rental Scam Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 pm 

Quote:
I don't know why you would do sort of a reverse kind of scam or what the benefit is to the scammer?

How this type of scam works is the scammer says s/he wants to rent the room. They will then say they will send you a check for more than the rent. They will ask you to send the amount that is over to another person, such as the mover, via western union or moneygram. When the bank discovers the check is fake you will have to pay back the money. You might also be arrested and charge with cashing a fake check or any number of other charges. The best thing you can do is to block the email address and phone number. Do not respond to anymore emails or phone calls. Best of luck to you.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:27 pm 

Done and reported it as well. I just wanted to be sure they couldn't do anything with the info they received. Thanks so much....lesson learned for sure...:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm 

Hey big question....even after telling these people that I was reporting this to the authorities they were dumb enough to send 3 money orders from Colorado for $900 each. I want to turn these in and report this further so would you be able to direct me to the right place to do this? Should I speak to my bank and have them confiscate these? I just want to find a way to stop them. Lucky I know not to cash them but if they are dumb enough to send these to me then I want to be smart enough to bring them to the people who are working to catch them...:) I felt dumb when I just believed this was a real person now I feel like I have a way to help others!

Thanks,

Sue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:34 pm 

Quote:
they were dumb enough to send 3 money orders from Colorado for $900 each. I want to turn these in and report this further so would you be able to direct me to the right place to do this? Should I speak to my bank and have them confiscate these?

I believe it would be better to call your local police department and ask to speak with someone in their fraud department and explain what is going on. They may want to go to your home to pick up the checks. Just make sure when you give them the checks you also give them the envolopes the checks came in. I would also suggest you have someone else there with you if and when someone comes to pick them up. Give them any copies of the emails that were sent to you. After all you want to make sure you protect yourself from any charges that might be filed against you. The person who sent the checks may not know they are involved with a scam and may think they are just working from home. What ever you decide please let us know how it went.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php