ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRAP, I'M BEING SCAMMED BY TWO ROOMMATES.COM USERS HELP!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:33 pm 

:shock:
Someone help, I'm currently in the process of renting out my room, and thought this was a scam. I did an internet search and saw all these postings. my e-mails are similar to other postings on this site! Thanks for your help at this site, you saved me money! Can i still get scammed if i gave out my name, number and e-mail? can they get money from me with this information? someone help! how should i handle this? i haven't done anything yet... should i leave it and stop contact, toy with them and pass along information to government, or tell them to f.... off and nice try? :evil:

Here is e-mail from two people, if you are reading this and it sounds similar, get out now!!!! Its probably the same person! :evil:

FIRST GIRL...

> >Thanks so much for the mail. I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house. (I NEVER GAVE A BREAK DOWN OF THE HOUSE) I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates.com as i'll love to rent the place.
> >
> >I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I dont smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. My families lives here in Australia and i have no friends in US except you lol..... I am currently working on contract for my company ABC consulting inc. here in Australia. I had professional certified in MCSA and MCSE. (I AM IN THE INDUSTRY AND ASKED HER QUESTIONS, SHE NEVER ANSWERED THEM) I hope to end my current assignment by the 10th of August and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.
> >
> >However, based on your mail i will be making a payment of $375 to move in. I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 12months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.
> >The things i will be moving in are as follow;
> >my Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metalic green.
> >suite case containing my books
> >my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
> >my clothes in three luggages
> >my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures.
Hope to hear from you soon
Regards

ANOTHER...
Thanks for the mail. I'm so glad to hear from you. However, i'll be out to get a shipper who will be moving my properties in before my moving in date. In the mean time, i'll be needing your full name, mailing address and your phone number so as to prepare the payment as my client will be sending money orders of pay ( about $6000 being money due to me) from which i'll like you to deduct the fee for my room and help me keep the balance with you as i'll be needing some money to pay the shipper that will move my things down. I will keep you posted of when you are likely to receive the payment.
>Hope to hear from you soon. Have a good time.

ANOTHER...
Thanks for the mail. Please i'll like to confirm if XXXXXXXXXXXXX is the name that will appear on the money order and will also like to have your phone number please.
Thanks

ANOTHER...
I REALLY DONT KNOW FOR NOW THE DAY MY THINGS WILL BE SHIPPED SINCE I'M STILL ON A LOOK OUT FOR A SHIPPER.
YEAH, THE ITEMS WILL BE UNLOADED ON MY ARRIVAL SO THAT I CAN TAKE CARE OF THINGS MYSELF.
I INTEND TO COME DOWN AFTER MY PROPERTIES IS SAFELY SET ON DECK AND SET FOR SHIPMENT.
THE RENT WILL BE INCURRED IN FEWS DAYS HOPEFULLY THIS WEEK.

Please if this is ok by you, kindly provide your full name asap so that i can proceed with my plans. Hope to hear from you soon.

DURING THIS TIME I REPEATEDLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT HER AND NOT ONCE DID SHE GIVE ME AN ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SECOND GIRL...
Hi,
Thanks for the mail and i appreciate your efforts towards this,well I need more info from you regards to the room and also I need to know the deposit that I will be paying.I would have love to come and check it but I am not around presently now but with what you have said about the room,I think its a nice place.About me, I am actually from the UK but I was staying in the states before ,just went on vacation to see my Mom in west africa because she works for a missionary school and she is posted down there.I want to come back to the US in less than two weeks so thats why I am in need of a place to stay.Kindly get back to me ASAP with the deposit i need to pay because i will like to pay for the deposit before my arrival and i will like to know the total amount I will be paying for a whole year.Welll let me tell you a bit about myself,I am single as I said and I dont have a bf presently,I do part time modelling and also I have finished with my
masters programme I do like spending time at the park so is there any park close to you?I love having quiet time alone and I listen to music also.I am new with this roommate .I do modelling part-time and i have job offers already in the US,I have my masters degree in Financial accounting.My job will be based on contracts so i do not have to go to work all the time,I will only need to go to work 3 times in a week and my hobbies include reading and listening to music.I love swimming also.

Well, I think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects other's privacy,like I said I dont drink or smoke I am very sure I will enjoy leaving with you.I will be glad if you have a yahoo messenger so we can chat and talk more and get to know each other better,my yahoo messenger id is j_cole2luv if you have a yahoo account you can add me am allways online,or you can set up a yahoo account its free and if you prefer the email,and if you think you will prefer we contact by email,its okay by me.
Please kindly get back to me ASAP.Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

ANOTHER...
Hi ,
I got the reply of your mail.I really appreciate your concerns about me and I also told Mom about you she said thank you and that you are such a nice person.I am ready to pay the rent and the price for the deposit.I will really love if we can meet online anyway. .I do modelling and my job is based strictly on contracts so i do not have to go to work everyday,I will only be going to like 3 times a week.I am perfectly okay with all what you have said so far,i do not have any questions for now,but i will let you know if i have any as time goes on.So about the payments,Mom has someone owe her some money over there she was optimistic about the room she doesnt want me to loose it.She said that you are a nice person.So she would nt know if you can have the person send a certified cashiers check or Money Order to you for the payment of the rent and some other things.I fyou have a wells fargo account it will be better and faster because my uncle will have the rent transfred to you.So all I just need do is move in when i get there.
She was only making a suggestion and she will be needing your full name and address so she will have the person mail the check/money order to you so that we can proceed with the payments arrangements.Hope to hear from you soon?Thank you for all your efforts towards securing a room for me.Hope we make good room mates anyway.
Regards,

Dear xxxxxxxxx,
Thank you for the email,i have been to the states before but not too Minnesota.I dont have friends there but i am a kinda person that will adjust to any environment cos i make friends easily.I will send my pics to you and if i eventually get the room i will want you to com,e and pick me up from the airport.I asked you if you have a wells fargo account so that i can have the payment of the rent wired toi you.PLease mail me back so that i can know the outcome of things.I tried talking to you but you were not online but al the same i will drop an offline for you.Thank you for everything i really appreciate it.
Jenny

Thank you so much for your email.I am alright with the arrangements but i will sign my part of the agrrement when i get to the states.I will want to pay half the deposit to you and i will get the other half to you when i get to the states.The wells fargo account is the only option my uncle said will be alright.I will want you to please mail me the information like
1,name
2,address and zip code
3,account number
4,routing number
please i was told by my uncle that once i get the account information from you,he will wire the money into your account by monday morning..Please XXXXXXXXX i will need your phone number and the other roommate.will i be transfering the money to your account or the account of your roommate,please let me know,i want to know if you have gotten the yahoo messenger.

THESE PEOPLE SUCK, SPREAD THE WORD SO OTHERS DON't FALL FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![b][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:29 pm 

Dusty - no they can not get any money from you. If you have not provided any bank detials and have sent any money back to them, your name and number are useless to them. Calm down, you are a lucky one to have done a search on this. Next time they call tell them you rented out the room to someone who came and paid you cash and they will bug off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:17 am 

Thanks sunray, yeah i kinda figured there is no way they can get anything from me, you can find that information on the net anyway. I know people that do that, telemarketers, right? Yes you cannot trust people too much. So after writing this yesterday, i got another response from my roommmates.com ad full of the same crap.

I am going to provide the names and e-mail of these folks in case anyone is else is going through this and trying to be scammed by these people.

Michelle Brown
Roommates Id: MichelleB25
E-mail: michellespice21@yahoo.com

Jennifer Macomba
E-mail:saint_jenny143@yahoo.com (saint yeah right)

Jennifer Cole
E-mail: j_cole2luv@yahoo.com
Hey,
Thank you for contacting me.I appreciate your time and efforts towards this and i hope we work something out.Well i need more information from you about the room.I need to know the condition of the room,hope it is in top condition and how is the area in general?Is the area well secured and are there supermarkets and grocery stores around?How close is the nearest hospital and how friendly are the neighbors?I am a very easy going kind of girl,pretty laid back and with a modest sense of humour.I do work out alot,so i need to know if your place is close to any gym that i can use.Kindly get back to me with some information and also i need to know how much your monthly rent is,as i will want to pay the first month's rent as a holding deposit and will be paying it down before i arrive so that you can hold the place down for me and i can be confident of a place to settle into once i arrive.

Now a little about myself;I am from North London ENGLAND;that means i am British and had all my education in London.I am 25yrs old and very much single,the only child of my only parent,my mother alive, i lost my father and my only brother years ago while i was still a kid in an auto accident.I am currently living with my mom who's a catholic volunteer worker,but also manages her antique business.She is a volunteer at the sister's of the eucharistic heart of jesus convent,here in London,England.I have always wanted to relocate to the US even while i was a little girl growing up and my mom is in support.It'll be a long dream come true for me when i finnally settle in the US.I will be working as an accountant once i arrive and i also have an Ameriacn Immigrant visa on my passport and that allows me to work anywhere in the US.I have chosen your city for a start to my new life in the US.I am easy to get along with and well mannered.I do not use people's items without permission and consideration.

Kindly get back to me ASAP with the your monthly rent and the deposit i need to pay to enable you turn down other interested parties and keep the place for me until i arrive,because i will like to pay for the deposit before my arrival and i will like to know the total amount the rent for a whole year would be,as i am more interested in a long term lease,but still open to any form of lease you want.But i will like to pay the deposit first of all before i arrive to show my seriousness and so that you can hold the place for me until i arrive.I am single as i said and i am not attached to anyone at the moment here and do not have anythinh holding me back since my mom ha given me her full support.I do part time modeling;i call myself an amateur though,LOL,just something i take as a hobby and also i have a masters degree in accounting which i bagged from the Metropolitan University in London last August before picking up a few accounting jobs here and there here in London.I will be looking to pick up accounting jobs once i arrive,accounting is my life and i love it.I am new with this roommates of a thing so i do not know if i am doing the right thing or not.I have not lived with roommates before,as i have lived with my mom alone in the past but i have no doubs in my mind about my ability to live peacefully with others as i was raised to be a lover of peace.A friend just introduced me to this roommates thing and i really wish that i am able to find the good cultured kind of roommate i am looking for here,i hope i am doing it right anyways.LOL.

Well,i think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects ones privacy,like i said i dont do drugs or smoke but i drink only occasionally,i strongly believe there will be any problems living with me as i was raised by strong catholic Christain parents and have inbibed such good qualities from childhood.I will be glad if you have a yahoo messenger so we can chat and talk more and get to know each other better,my yahoo messenger id is michellespice21 if you have a yahoo account you can add me,or you can set up a yahoo account its free.I will love to see your pics and those of the place as well.Please kindly get back to me ASAP.Hope to hear from you again.

Regards.

MICHELLE BROWN.

Post subject: Another one
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:23 pm 

This is yet another response I've had from some UK person responding to my ad.

DOLL05 is the roommmates.com user id :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:00 pm 

Yup, same deal here. I think Roommates.com itself is a scam or at least a haven for scammers.

NHEngineer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm 

yep, its a haven for scammers. pick on incident people. its so funny, this one, im messing with right now, could identify all the locations to send a money gram, but didn't know the best or closest airport in the area. there's only one in my area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:04 pm 

I'm having a lot of fun with those ingrates. I played one for nude photos. Got a few but not nude enough. This is fun.

NHEngineer

Post subject: Roommate Scam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:27 pm 

Thanks for posting this information. I have advertised a room for rent on Roommates.com and was contacted by Jennifer Macomba. I knew that it sounded too good to be true. Glad I ran a Google check before I was reeled in any farther.

Here's the e-mail she sent to me. Very similar to the one posted previously.

Same name and e-mail address:
Jennifer Macomba
saint_jenny143@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for the mail. I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates.com as i'll love to rent the place.
ABOUT ME:
Name: Jennifer Macomba
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5' 6" (167cm)
Weight: 122 pounds (55.0 kg)
Body Style: Athletic/Fit
Activity Level: Active
Smoking: No
Drinking: Socially
Marital Status: Single
Children: I have no kids
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Languages I speak: English
Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
Religion: Not Religious
Grew up in: Australia
Education: MCSA/MCSE
Annual Income: Over $75,000US
ALSO
I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. My families lives here in Australia and i have no friends in US except you lol. I am currently working on contract for my company Matrix Internet Technology Services here in London and hope to end my current assignment by the 15th of Sept and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.
My favorites are;
My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese
My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.
My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking

However, based on your mail i will be making a payment of $1500 to move in. I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 12months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.
The things i will be moving in are as follow;
my Mercedes (C-class 2004 model) metalic green.
suite case containing my books
my 26' DELL PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre
my clothes in three luggages
my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures.
Regards
Jenny

Post subject: Roommates.com scam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:06 am 

Be aware of the following scam: I placed an ad on roommates.com looking for a roommate and received this email. Sounded too good to be true. I am so glad I googled this persons name and came across this website.

Thanks so much for the mail. I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates.com as i'll love to rent the place.
ABOUT ME:
Name: Jennifer Macomba
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5' 6" (167cm)
Weight: 122 pounds (55.0 kg)
Body Style: Athletic/Fit
Activity Level: Active
Smoking: No
Drinking: Socially
Marital Status: Single
Children: I have no kids
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Languages I speak: English
Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
Religion: Not Religious
Grew up in: Australia
Education: MCSA/MCSE
Annual Income: Over $61,000US
ALSO
I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. My families lives here in Australia and i have no friends in US except you lol. I am currently working on contract for my company CleverLink Internet Technology Services here in Australia and hope to end my current assignment by the 16th of Septmber and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.
My favorites are;
My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese
My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.
My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking

However, based on your mail i will be making a payment of $750 to move in. I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 12months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date.
my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures.
Regards
Jenny

Post subject: I know how you feel.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 am 

I was contacted by both "Jennifer Macomba" & "Jennifer Cole". "She" sent me money orders & I sent some of the money to her "shipper" in Canada. I posted a message on this site myself. "I wsa scammed by a Roommates.com User" <---- My post

Post subject: jenifa kaminy <jenifakaminy@yahoo.com>
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:12 am 

How about this? This chic seems like a scammer too...

I saw your advert on craigslist and I am interested in your room apartment.I have been living in the UK for the past 5 years and I will be having some seminars coming up soon in the USA.Right now I am in UK for a programme on children with heart related probs.My next programme/seminars will be in the USA and I will be needing a room to stay for this seminars and I need to secure a room before my arrival to the US.I am having fun here in UK and I can't wait to arrive to the US.Pls do get back to me with the room description,move in rent fees for the first month and any deposit if included.Hope to hear from you onderful day

AND
Everything is ok by me and I already informed my shipper here to move my furnitures for me so no prob I will ask him ship some of my furnitures to the US and also my BMW X5(JEEP) or I can just get a car hire to move around when I arrive.Anyway my arrival to the US has been extended to 13th DECi.e Tuesday so pls keep your promise that you will keep room for me till my arrival.Everything is ok by me and I must let you know that I am ready to come stay with you soonest in the US.

Definitely a scammer??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:35 pm 
Gold Member

From reading them, they have the style one would expect from scammer in trying to soften you up ready for the sting.
Of course on the other hand, they could be genuine.
Be aware of any requests to accept a check from a 3rd party in order to pay for the first month's rent and/or deposit, particularly if the check is for more than required amout, and you are asked to return the difference by Western Union, Moneygram, or even bank transfer. Even if the check is not from a 3rd party, and is the correct amount, still be wary. You will pay the check into your bank account, it seems to clear after a few days, then you will be contacted and asked for a refund because the trip has now been cancelled. You refund the money via WU or Moneygram, and then the check is returned as countefeit.
When accepting a deposit and /or first month rent, make clear it is non-refundable in event of cancellation of the room booking.

Post subject: Imagine
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:58 am 

:X Now imagine if the world was like that.:I

Post subject: Holy crap, they are still using the same Pitch
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:24 pm 

Hey man, I just got the same pitch from this chick

As she writes

Thanks so much for the mail.I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the house.I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from roommates.com as i'll love to rent the place. And please tell me if i can ever consider the room as mine.I'm Australian, a quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"7' straight. I dont drink and smoke but i'm cool living with people that do.I always love to go on date but seldomly party.I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. My families lives in Australia,i am currently working on contract for my company JEK consulting INC. here in England.I had professional certification in CCNA(cisco certified network association)also a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems, plus another in Business Administration.I hope to end my current assignment by the 8th of may 2006 and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.However, based on your mail i will be making a payment of $500 to move in. I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than Eight months. So i'll send my client to see you,you will get the payment prior to my arriving date.
my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of
furnitures.
Regards

so I gave this person my address and waiting to have a " check " sent to me from which then I will take to the police so they can further investigate it. I really hope nobody takes their checks to the bank to have it cashed, and I really hope this person gets caught.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:12 pm 

HOLY CRAP!!!

I am corresponding with someone from roommates.com and I swear to god, that first email is almost exactly the one she sent to me!!!! I KNEW it sounded fishy!! And to think th at I almost sent her my mailing address and phone number and almost booked parking and EVYERHTHIGN for her...thank you SO MUCH for posting those emails...sorry I am just freaking out right now!! To think I almost got screwed over!!