ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ROOMATES.com SCAM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 pm 

I am SOOOO glad I smelled something fishy and googled roommates.com scams.

I almost had a problem on my hands. I have an ad on there... for months... then found a roommate who emailed me. Wrote me back with:

Quote:
Hello Roomate,

Thanks so much for your prompt response.....This is a little about me.

I am into Humanitarian Services and i am also a freelance in fashion
design...well for now i will be renting the room for about 12 months
for now might increase the lease term but for now it is just going to
be for 12 months........Well i am coming to the United States to see if
i can start something there ok.I am single and love my work...I am very
happy for your reply that shows the kind of person i am renting
from....Im really glad to have details about the room...its just
great..its what im looking for...you;re God sent...i am an easy going
lady and surely u will enjoy my stay in the u.s.a...i really want to
promise u that we ll surely have the best of time..Heres is just more
about me MY name as you know Alice Garcia
Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5' 6" (167cm)
Weight: 122 pounds (55.0 kg)
Body: Average
Activity Level: Active
Smoking: No
Drinking: Socially
Marital Status: Single
Children: I have no kids
Zodiac Sign: Picses
Languages I speak: English
Religion: Christian
Grew up in:
Britain
Education: MCSA/MCSE
My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli,
Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian,
Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese
My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top
40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.
My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing,
Swiming and Hiking/Walking
Well, now that all is set with the room... i would like you to provide
me with
your details so that i can pay you in advace and get everything secured
before my arrival to
the states..ok? so pls i would like you to send me

Your Full Name:
Address(Street Address,City,State and Zipcode:
and Phone number:
and as soon as i get this, i will have it forwarded to my boss and he
would
write you a check and send it to you asap
I Would be waiting to hear from you asap...I am not on phone now but
before i arrive i will make sure i give you a call.

Alice Garcia.
National Office Oxfam Canada
250 City Centre Avenue,
Suite 400,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 6K7
alicegarcia100@yahoo.com

OK ok... kept emailing with her, seemed nice enough... until I received the next message one day later:

Quote:
Good Mornning,

Thanks for your response,i'm really interested in renting your room and i will be glad to rent your place.I'm such a person who like a clean environment and privacy.I need an hygienic environment as i will like to live in a healthy surroundings.However,as i won't be available to come check the place before my move in date which is 20th of August.Or if you can assure me of the room been a nice and hygienic one.

ABOUT ME
Name:Christi Palmar
Height: 5' 9'
Weight: 78
Body Style: Athletic/Fit
Marital Status: single
Children: no kid
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
Religion: christian

Education: MCSA/MCSE I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with.... I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail. My favorites are;My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks..My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking.

However, I do sell African beads,i used to buy it in West Africa and send it to Europe and U.S.A for sell and i based in Spain but now want to be selling it to the states there and based there.I am into sales of Beads and i do travell alot and i normally come to african to buy them in large quatities and travell over to Euro and Usa and sell.

Right now i am comming down to open my own private beading company and thats means i will be staying them.

I would love to know some about you..And the total cost of the room

Christi Palmar

I decided they were way too similar to be a coincidence. This is rediculous! I am sooo glad I looked this up. I even wrote back to each saying we wanted to do a credit check... guess what!? Those girls who responded within 5 minutes to every email havent written a thing since. It's been 6 hours. Lets see how long this lasts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:45 am 

I am really glad I checked out this site!!!
The EXACT same thing happened to me recently, but at the 2nd red flag-I ended our little e-mail convo! Thank goodness...I think roomates.com should definitely warn people upfront. It's kind of negligent on their part!
here is what i recieved

Hello

Thanks for your response,i'm really interested in renting your room and i will be glad to rent your place.I'm such a person who like a clean environment and privacy.I need an hygienic environment as i will like to live in a healthy surroundings.However,as i won't be available to come check the place before my move in date which is 15th of October.Or if you can assure me of the room been a nice and hygienic one.

ABOUT ME
Name:Grace Noura
Weight: 78

Education: MCSA/MCSE I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. I do not have a pic presently o n my system but will try to attach one to my next mail. My favorites are;My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese My favorite music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks..My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking.

However, I do sell African beads,i used to buy it in West Africa and send it to Europe and U.S.A for sell and i based in Spain but now want to be selling it to the states there and based there.I am into sales of Beads and i do travell alot and i normally come to african to buy them in large quatities and travell over to Euro and Usa and sell.

Right now i am comming down to open my own private beading company and thats means i will be staying them.

I would love to know some about you...Let me know the total cost of the room.

Grace Noura

AND
Hello Again,

I am very glad to know the home is nice.I am sure these must be the lord doing,Cause i just came on here on roommate and mailed you and everything went out perfect.

Below are my pictures

The picture i wore hat i was at the photo studio,But other once i took at the front and backyard of my house.

My financial advisor will be sending you a certified cashier check of about ($3800) from which i will like you to deduct my rent and help keep the rest as i will be needing some money to pay the travellers agent that will be arranging my flight.

Therefore,i will need your full name and address zipcode and phone number in order to get the moneyorder/check prepared as soon as possible.

Also i will like to know the nearest airport to the house and also to know if you can be chanced to come pick me up at the airport on my date of arrival..

Your future roommate,
Grace Noura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 pm 

Well at least it feels better to know that I am not the only one that fell for this scam. I am not going to put the details here because they have already been put up so many times already. I had the same thing happen to me, lost $3100 to this punk Joseph Kendrich. I am currently waiting for the police to come by and take my statement but from the looks of it I am out the cash and right before Christmas to boot. I am shaking I am so angry, not only that I lost the money but that I fell for it. I have been looking back over the emails and I can see the warning signs. It looks like I am going to be living like a hermit for the next couple of months. What I would give to have 5 minutes alone in a room with this guy. I really feel for you guys that got taken. Damn it makes you feel like an idiot. Hopefully some people find this info and avoid all these problems.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I would suggest that all victims start here

http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/resour ... _check.htm

and get an account at a new bank so that you have money to live off of until things are settled.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:06 pm 

Yep, same Joseph Kendrich guy tried to scam me. I googled his name and this link came up

thanks sooo much for your posting

cg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 pm 

They tried to get me too. She or he emailed me on roommates.com becareful folks.

----- Original Message -----
To: Richard Lowe
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: hello

Hi

Thanks for your response,i'm really interested in renting your room and i will be glad to rent your place...I'm such a person who like a clean environment and privacy.I need an hygienic environment as i will like to live in a healthy surroundings.However,as i won't be available to come check the place before my move in date which is 5th of May.Or if you can assure me of the room been a nice and hygienic one..

ABOUT ME
Name:Aliyah Winifred
Weight: 118
Education: MCSA/MCSE I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail. My favorites are;My favorite cuisines:Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek,Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese My favorite music:Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks...My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking..

My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast
Food/Pizza,French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai,Vietnamese..My favorite music: Dance/Electronic, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop,Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing,Swimming and Hiking/Walking

However, I do sell African beads,i used to buy it in BENIN and send it to Europe and U.S.A for sell and i based in Spain but now want to be selling it to the states there and based there..I am into sales of Beads and i do travel alot and i normally come to BENIN to buy them in large qualities and travel over to Euro and Usa and sell..

Right now i am coming down to open my own private beading company and thats means i will be staying there......

I am a citizenship of the united state and i used to come visit my uncle when i was a kid during holiday but he and his wife are both dead at the moment...I will be staying for 9months and if everything works out fine then i will extend my lease.

I had 3 cars at spain and sold the 3 cars because i am relocating and like i said i am in west africa now and when i come to the VA from here i will buy a car and set up my own beading production company that will require about 100 workers,Large land space to accomodate machine or better still a ware house,These is to let you know i am coming to invest big time in the state.

I would love to know some more about yourself,And let me know the total cost of the room.I dont have a scanner non fax but i think i do have an attached pictures on my laptop which i will try and send it to you in my next mail.

Regards,

Your future roommate,

Aliyah Winifred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:18 am 

Thank goodness I found this information, I received the same email...

Hello, I am interested in renting your place and here is a little info aboutmyself. I am Jamie and I am 26 years old, at present I am based in the UK but will be relocating to your Province in a couple of weeks to settle.Consequent to this and in order to make settling in much easier and quicker I am searching for an accomodation early and I saw your ad on the site and would be very happy if reservation for the place can be made.
I can assure you that you will not have any regrets letting out this apartment to me as I am a very respectful and matured individual who values peoples opinions and also loves to be happy and make people happy( Happiness is a product of making someone happy).I am calm and collected by nature and I get along much easily with most people.
Furthermore, I do not smoke and I drink very lightly.I will be coming over alone,with no family or pets.
My reason for moving is because I have a new job offer and the pay is very good. I will be working as a DataBase Adminstrator for Priority I. T Corp.
Please reply me as soon as you read this email.I ll be waiting to hear from you.Kindly contact me via email at w.alan77@gmail.com
Thank you once more
Yours sincerely
Jamie

AND his mother is also going for surgery again.
AND his shipping information is "A. Whiff" <shipitfastuknownow@gmail.com>
Another email address used is W. Alan" <alorasealord101@gmail.com>