ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Mom almost was scammed--scammer name ROBINSON MICHAEL
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 pm 

My mom has recently been talking to someone who claims to be Robinson Michael from Ozark, Missouri. I believe he started messaging her on Facebook, and really preyed on her good nature, kind heartedness and loneliness. He claimed he was out of the country working on an oil platform in the Red Sea for a company called Deutag Drilling and was/is using the phone number 619-356-8315. Up until yesterday he has been communicating with my mom via text messages and on facebook chat. Yesterday when i came home from work i found my mom home crying. I asked her what is wrong and she told me "the friend I have been talking to online daughters is in the hospital from a car accident". Now, my mom is the sweetest person in the world, but is not very street smart and is very guillable, so she was crying because she felt terrible for this mans daughter. I asked her "has he asked you for money yet?" and she told me no. She told me that his job will not let me leave to see his daughter (Huge red flag) and next thing I know she gets another text that says "Can I ask you for a favor sweetheart?", then proceeds to call her and ask for $3000. I grabbed the phone from her and told this guy to never call my mom again, and told him that I have called the cops and know that he is a scam artist. I was wondering if this is going to be the end of all of this? My mom was lucky and did not give this guy any money, or personal info besides her name and cell phone number. Is this guy going to stop now that I called him out on his scam? He has only invested maybe 2 months or so with my mom but im worried he may take another route to scam her. I have advised her to educate herself on internet scams and to NEVER SENT ANYBODY MONEY. I believe my mom was lucky and learned an expensive lesson at a cheap cost (a little embarassment and shame that she will quickly get over). Any light or info anyone can shed on this for me is greatly appreicated. Thanks.

Tmac

Post subject: Re: My Mom almost was scammed--scammer name ROBINSON MICHAEL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 am 

Hi Tmac. I am so glad you were there to proctect your mom. The scammer may try again. See if she can block his telephone number on her cell phone. She will also need to block is email account and block him on her facebook.

Have your mom read some to the threads on here of people who were scammed.

Somethings you can teach your mom is how to do a Google search and check the IP Address. Reinforouce to her about never sending money.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 pm 

Janez,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post... just a quick update on my mom situation. he tried to text message her again this morning at about 5am with just Jerry... I responded him by telling him I know he's a scam artist and this is no longer her phone and the cops have been advised of his scam...he has n not yet responded. Btw at one point he tried to have my mother email"his daughter"and have her the address of amandamichael55@yahoo.com..obviously another way you gain her trust...Has this happened to anyone Russ, where you have called out the scammer?, if so, how's did it turn out footer you? Is there any advice you can give? Thank you for taking the timer to read this.

Tmac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:41 pm 

Quote:
he tried to have my mother email"his daughter"

Tmac, as you may already know it is more likely than not the scammer.

Quote:
Has this happened to anyone Russ, where you have called out the scammer?,

I have not called out a scammer but know people who have. The best thing to do is not to respond to ANY form of contact. When he realizes he is not going to get any money he will forcus his attention on his other victims.

BTW, thank you for taking your time posting this. You may have saved someone else from being scammed if they do a Google search and end up here.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 pm 

TMac wrote:
Janez,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post... just a quick update on my mom situation. he tried to text message her again this morning at about 5am with just hey"... I responded him by telling him I know he's a scam artist and this is no longer her phone and the cops have been advised of his scam...he has n not yet responded. Btw at one point he tried to have my mother email"his daughter"and have her the address of amandamichael55@yahoo.com..obviously another way you gain her trust...Has this happened to anyone else, where you have called out the scammer?, if so, how's did it turn out for you? Is there any advice you can give? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Tmac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 am 

Calling out a scammer is useless. It is amazing how they will continue to deny and claim to be the person they say they are, even with all the proof you have. Calling them out means you are still talking to them and talking to them means opportunity for them. Only thing that works is to ignore them completely.