ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice ASAP Please! So what is this scammers next step?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm 

A friend of mine has been dealing with a scammer for the past 5 years...unbelievable that it has gone on this long I know but with no one to look into what was going on prior to my involvement he had no idea that the girl that he was talking to that was in Florida and then was going on a "trip" to Africa and the plan was to come to him in Canada once her "trip" was concluded in 4 months.

(First off this was the odd one of the scammer stories since most of them go there for some business purpose and this one went for a 4 month "trip")

While that count have been Red Flag 1 I consider the first red flag was the fact that she had no family in her home in Florida and no one to return to there so she was going to start new in Canada with him!

At the end of the 4 months she had flight plans to come to Canada but when he went to the airport she wasn't there...red flag number to and several days later he got an email that she was here but returned to AFRICA not FLORIDA having not met up with him! And she sent him several pictures of herself around landmarks in our city.

This is where red flag 3 comes as the request for money I think started.

First asked for money because she had nothing where she was...possibly he sent her some then.

Flight arrangements were made again several months later...this time at the airport the red flag 4 came in the asking for BTA...a common scam story it appears. When he told me of this that was the second time I questioned if she was legit but he was really hooked on her and wasn't listening to questions. He sent her the BTA money ...maybe more at that time.

Well the day came for her to arrive again and he got a call or an email that she had been stopped at the airport and was arrested for gold nuggets in her luggage and she was now in jail and no way to know when she would be free. He got emails and contacted by friends of hers but he began writing her off as a lost cause.

A few months went by and then suddenly he got an email from her that she was free and clear and could make arrangements for another flight again.

She began working on some sort of farm to earn the money to be able to get another plane fare. I don't know if he told her he couldn't give her any money at that point and thats when the story to work on the farm came up. She must have convinced him to change his mind sometime later because I learned later he did continue to send money to her.

Since this time has been met with several attempts to come to Canada...all met with problems:
Got sick on way to airport
Accident on way to airport
Lost ticket on way to airport

As there are I am sure several reasons given more than this...each time she lost the plane fare or didn't get reimbursed for the ticket and so had to come up with funds again for the flight.

Finally he gave her a final chance to be here be the end of the season or that was it!

By this time I learned a little more and started investigating into who this person really is because nothing added up that this was either one really accident and stupid girl and my research led me to all kinds of scammer victims websites.

Just before the next attempts began I asked if he was still sending money and he said he was just getting ready to send her some more...I begged him not to and many times asking him after this he has said he hasn't sent any more money.

Then came the last few attempts:
#1 Aug 2012: couldn't take "arranged" flight by KLM because "problem with immigration it will take a few more weeks" as the excuse.
First off the problem with this is that remember 5 years prior she came here and went back...no immigration problem back then! and another issue was with information in hand I called KLM nearly 4 days prior to the flight to check if she was really booked on that flight. Wonderful workers at KLM gave me what I needed...A ticket was generated on the KLM website a few days before but was never paid for and was ALREADY cancelled out. I informed my friend was I knew but also that immigration doesn't take weeks it can take years!

#2 Sept 2012: Problem with immigration was resolved and a new booking was created. This time KLM gave me her confirmation # without my even giving it to them! and I followed it online as her booking went sour. But yet still days before she was telling him she was happy she was coming...ticket already cancelled though. Day came and another problem with getting on the plane...try again next week!

#3 Sept 2012 1 week later. A "friend/travel agent" went to the airport with her and make sure she gets on the plane. Then he emailed my friend to say that she was on her flight that night from Accra, Ghana to Amsterdam a lay over in Amsterdam in the early morning hours and then connecting flight from Amsterdam to Canada.

She never made her connecting flight and she lied about being on another later connecting flight that I found out was cancelled long before she told him that she would be on that flight. He even went to the airport to of course confirm what I already told him --- she wasn't there. Story now continued to her stuck in Amsterdam and now he beleived he wanted to know what happened to her. Although he finally listened to me and deleted her he didn't delete the friend though.

I do know he was asked again for more money and he told them no.

#4 Oct 2012: He gets an email from the friend that he can't let the girl stay in Amsterdam and its "cheaper" to send her on to Canada then go back to Africa...again questioned why not to Florida or somewhere in the US. But so this friend is paying the way.

I asked a long time ago also if the US embassy could help with any of this and have always been met with they wont help her.

Flight is planned for this weekend (Oct 27th).

I realize this is a long posting but please understand that it spans 5 years of craziness.

I know he is not dealing with a girl but a group of boys/men in internet cafes in Ghana.
He has finally agreed that if no arrival on this weekend then she is deleted, blocked and ignored from now on...so is anyone else associated with it that contacts him.

My question is what is this scammers next move? There obviously is no person going to be arriving on Saturday or is there? Has anyone ever got to this point of the scam?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Need advice ASAP Please! So what is this scammers next s
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:03 am 

Next move is that something will go wrong again as you will know by now.

In your friend they have found a money well. They will continue will all sort of stories and probably other fake girls as well, if he blocks this one.
Unless he stops answering these mails it will never stop and even if he stops, they will keep on trying for the next years. They will not let go.