ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harry Williams on E-Harmony Nigerian Scammer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:46 pm 

This guy is piece of work. His name is Harry williams from Midvale, Utah. He says he's originally from England. He's working in Nigeria installing computers and he loves to send sweet, complimenting emails. My mom always told me if someone sounds too good to be true they usually are and he's no exception. He'll tell you he's working in Nigeria for a few weeks. I guess I kept talking to him because he told me everything I would want to hear from a guy.

Anyway, yesterday he emails me about his driver being shot and he broke his leg jumping out of the car to safety. his friend is in the hospital and they don't have any money because they lost their wallet, passports, etc and he needs 4,000 western unioned to him to help this poor guy. He even sent me a picture.

I haven't responded to him yet as I'm still trying to get a hold of eharmony but just want people to be aware of him.

It's too bad there's so much garbage out there.

Last edited by jenger91 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Harry Williams on E-Harmony
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 am 
Gold Member

I am sure we will see these scammers use the recent and ongoing violence in Nigeria to try and hit that all important emotional spot. I am glad you noticed it was a scam before it was to late.

Post subject: Re: Harry Williams on E-Harmony Nigerian Scammer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:36 pm 

I contacted eHarmony and they never responded back. Go figure. I also found this guy on myspace. Does anyone know if theres anyone else I can contact to try and stop this piece of crap? He's still out there and is trying to contact me.

This really ticks me off that people can take advantage of others like this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:57 am 
Gold Member

The myspace one might actually be the actual Harry Williams and that is where the scammer found his information and pictures. If you want to find out set up a fake myspace account and send him an email saying something that only the scammer would know, like where you met him and that you miss talking to him. If he responds like he doesn't know what you are talking about then it is probably the real Harry and if he responds like he knows what you are talking about report him to myspace.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:13 pm 

I have been contacted by two fake "matches" on eharmony within the last month.
One was named "Tim" and the other "Larry." No last names. Both requested communication with me and both had sob stories. They both wanted to move off eharmony as soon as we started "open communication."

They both had pictures of themselves that appeared to be American-born (white) guys. Neither would agree to talk on the phone or meet in person (very odd for a guy on a personal site).

The dead giveaway was that uniquely weird Nigerian version of English (for example, "Tim" said he was "self-independent"). I googled his email address and found him on another personals site. Same job, same "self independent," same email, and same birthdate--except he was 10 years younger on the other site.

I have seen a ton of Nigerian scammer emails, and I know that is who these guys are, but the problem (I guess) is that they haven't actually done anything or asked for money.

I reported them to ic3.gov and to eharmony, but neither has responded to me. You are on your own out there, so be careful. E-harmony is perfect for scammers. They claim to have a good screening system and have a reputation for attracting serious clients.

These guys can hide behind the "guided communication" for several days. This provides a real advantage for them, since by the time you hit "open communication" you may already be quite excited to meet and exhilarated that this nice guy has chosen you. By the time you get an actual note written by them, you may be more than ready emotionally to buy into whatever garbage they are selling. WATCH OUT!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:36 pm 

OMG...Thank you XLRhinoCat. I never thought about running his email address. Well, I did and the first letter he wrote me through eharmony is there. The website address is http://www.profilelooker.com/Milagro/blog/2/ for anyone who's interested. It's at the bottom of the page and his email is Harrywilliams_444. I feel I need to let people out there know. I didn't send him any money but I'm sure some lonely person might. I just hope people out there google his name or email address. Thanks to everyone for their replies and I sent up a fake profile on myspace and sent him a message and the idiot wrote back the same bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I know that a lot of people have found out that their "match" is a scammer because they have googled his name or email address, and it has brought them to this site, so the fact that you are posting all of his info may help someone else.

Another thing that you could do to bring more attention to this is to contact your local media and tell them your story. A lot of them are always looking for a new consumer protection or investigative story, and that way you can get the word about the scam out to more people. (you can mention the assistance/advice you got here too, so that others will be able to find us and share their stories)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:55 am 

I too have been contacted by a Nigerian scammer on eharmony. His name is James Bennett. After hounding eharmony, I think they have finally taken him out of the match pool. This is getting ridiculous. I thought eharmony was supposed to be a quality single's site. It takes less than a minute to trace someone's IP address. That is how I find out Jame's was a scammer. I mentioned this to eharmony and they said they had 15,000 new users a day so they couldn't possibly trace everyone's IP address. I would think they should be able to write a program to flag Nigerian IP addresses.

Does anyone know if there are any groups who set up stings to try and catch these guys? Kind of like the Preverted Justice sting operations that catch adult males that pray on teenage girls in chat rooms.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:51 am 
Gold Member

TXchic44 wrote:
I too have been contacted by a Nigerian scammer on eharmony. His name is James Bennett. After hounding eharmony, I think they have finally taken him out of the match pool. This is getting ridiculous. I thought eharmony was supposed to be a quality single's site. It takes less than a minute to trace someone's IP address. That is how I find out Jame's was a scammer. I mentioned this to eharmony and they said they had 15,000 new users a day so they couldn't possibly trace everyone's IP address. I would think they should be able to write a program to flag Nigerian IP addresses.

Does anyone know if there are any groups who set up stings to try and catch these guys? Kind of like the Preverted Justice sting operations that catch adult males that pray on teenage girls in chat rooms.

There is a way for Eharmony to block IP's and there are programs that already exist they just don't want to pay for it since I am sure they get paid ad money for every hit they get on their site.

I don't know of any groups that try to nail scammers since that requires going to a different country and it is to dangerous and not really worth it since it is hard to track these guys/gals down.

As a side note Perverted Justice goes after Women perverts too they just don't usually end up on dateline.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 am 

you may want to check in facebook there is a man by the name or Harry b williams... he's often in the UK going to Nigeria... who's been trying to scam me ... and he's now using the address of Asheville, North Carolina...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:28 pm 

just 3 weeks into communication with a Match.com contact, HARRY KNIGHT was in love with me, a one-woman man and very romantic. I was his `baby` and going to help him get back a love life since the tragic death of his wife. He was a building contractor, widow with a 15-year old son named Cody, currently working in Lagos, Nigeria. When he asked for $500 to set up an account for payment from the job, it didn`t take too long to find him on scambook.com. After doing some research on Nigerian Romance Scams, I am blown away by the industry. Note: he did not get one penny from me. DON`T GO THERE!!