There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beware Matthew Gearhart
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:12 pm 

Hi,
Was contacted through Match by a Matthew Gearhart. Email address he is using is Matthew_Gearhart@yahoo.com. Profile info did not match up with what he would tell me during IM convos - all of a sudden he wasn't in NY, NY as he indicated, but was instead working on a project in England and when he is state-side he supposedly lives in Albany and has a sailboat up near the St. Lawrence waterway (he wanted to take me sailing!). He claimed to be a civil engineer. His english was very poor and didn't sound like American speech patterns so I found myself asking lots of questions trying to test him. It all was just too good to be true that someone so quickly from a couple of emails and IM's could be in love with me (as great a person as I am, though, clearly I was thinking either this person is mentally ill or this is a con artist).

Matt (he will also use this name) sent me pics of himself and his daughter Sharon. Oh, when file attachments were sent to me, they were entitled "IVAN" so this could be another name that he is operating under. When I asked about that, it conveniently is his middle name. He is into sailing and Story was that his wife died when his daughter was 3 (then in a later story she was 2) from melanoma. Also had a girlfriend after wife died who cheated on him. Father supposedly died when he was 11 yrs old and his mom Grace Gearhart (who's from Britain) raised him. But then later story changed that he moved from Missouri with his mom & DAD when he was 14 years old (some miracle, huh?) He supposedly attended college at Westminster College in Missouri and changed from being a Catholic to a Protestant and will try feeling you out on your religious beliefs - all this seemed so rather similar to what was on the Derrick Cole/Eric McFadden (who also contacted me by the way) write-ups and I found it just so hard to believe that one person could have so many tragedies befall him and then of course all the inconsistencies. Before I got all the inconsistencies, but I had suspicions, I gave him my work address as he wanted to get me a gift!

Hey, at least I got a dozen beautiful roses out of the deal! I was also able to find out through the florist (she contacted FTD on my behalf) that the person who placed the order was FEMALE - so clearly this is some kind of ring these people are working in.

My last (hopefully) contact with him was today - I made him call me at work from wherever the hell he is. All of a sudden, he speaks with an accent (led me to believe he was American) and he sounded like someone from an African English-speaking country - possibly Nigeria?

I was able to get pictures and will attach photos of him so that others can be aware of him. If someone also wants the poems and emails I can send, but think this says it all.

Attachments:
tn.jpg
tn.jpg [ 3.99 KiB | Viewed 7188 times ]
Matt Gearhart.jpg
Matt Gearhart.jpg [ 2.03 KiB | Viewed 7189 times ]
matt gearhart2.jpg
matt gearhart2.jpg [ 2.4 KiB | Viewed 7189 times ]