There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for avoiding scams
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hello all:

My heart goes out to all of you that have been scammed in any way: financially, emotionally, etc.

If a similar post has been made, I duly apologize. However, it is good to keep fresh in your mind, especially if you are active in the internet dating scene.

1. Solicitations from members where the photo looks like 'stock' or too pretty. Many of these look like they are glamour shots or perfect portraits.

2. Many of these scammers usually take their profile down within 2-3 days of contacting you.

3. Scammer when emailing or chatting advises they are in a foreign country for business. Among the best excuses I have heard are: antiques, textiles, oil, education.

4. Scammer will ask you numerous questions, will not answer many about themselves. I have had many enjoyable exchanges while stringing them out. I ask them about many local spots they claim to be from, many cannot provide the answers...

5. Why would an employer pay in postal money orders over seas? You know how much hassle that has to be to find an local post office that provides postal money orders in U.S. currency?

6. Grammar. They are almost trying to be too proper or they have more typos than a person that pecks at their keyboard.

7. Sob stories. Do you really trust your personal info or cash in the hands of a stranger that suddenly is in a pinch and YOU are the only one that can help them out? I had one scammer tell me that they needed 760 dollars to pay for an airline fee or they would lose a ticket, but conveniently mentinoned they were a frequent flyer. I explained to them that as a frequent flyer many airlines overlook fees like that to preserve your business. I was promptly called a bag of crap and they disappeared. Why would someone have to pay to get their money? Use some common sense and be vigilant. Nobody is going to send you a large sum of money and trust you will send it back after taking your finders fee from 7500 miles away.

8. In the end ask yourself if a long-distance relationship is really worth it. I know many of us are lonely people and are flattered by the caring and the attention. Trust your instincts. Ask yourself why a person from so far away with a perfect picture and business stature is contacting you out of millions. Not because you, me, or anyone isn't worthy, but seriously, what are the chances? What do you really have to gain by trying to fall in love with someone you are not physically around? These turds have time to craft the perfect response via email, chat rooms or limited phone conversations. You truly cannot sense the chemistry or read the most telling story of all--their body language when not in person.

I will include some hilarious chat logs if anyone is interested how I had these idiots going, a little payback never hurt anyone.

Best to all!

Post subject: Re: Tips for avoiding scams
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:12 pm 

But what do I do once I was stupid, and fell for a scam, am in debt? I was stupid and had a lapse in judgement.
Your advice will help those who might be solicited, but no one can help, once you've already been conned. Which sux!!!
I just wasn't thinking for a few hours and bamm- out $2,500. I need help getting it back, but I guess there's no way in hell I can? I seriously feel like killing myself. And am not usually mentally unstable!!! Allison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:36 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

First, you are not stupid! The scammers are good at what they do. Look around . . . there are thousands of other people here who have been in the same place that you are in now and we have all made it . . . you can too!

Please read this post

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3003

and contact the people listed there. You can even ask to have your information directed to Bill White, and tell him that Shawn from ScamVictimsUnited.com directed you there. He may be able to assist you in getting in contact with the right people to help you.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:32 pm 

Please don't beat yourself up over this. 2,500 is a good sum of money, but it is not the end of the world. Look at this as a learning experience. Your life is priceless. We all make mistakes every day. If you can help prevent another poor soul from suffering your same fate, it will help you feel much better. Take it one day at a time. Was that money earmarked for something in particular?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:18 pm 

Thank you for the info. I almost got scammed by this woman that said she is from Europe coming to the States for business. I have an ad on roommates.com.