There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Be Aware -- 2 scammers on eHarmony
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:45 pm 

2 scammers on eHarmony.

Ken Walford - His yahoo ID is kenwalfordonline. He said he lives in Chicago and has a house in CA, travels a lot on the job because he's in oil business and when we first started the communication, he told me he's going to Scotland. We IMed a few times, and something's just not right, like he didn't know Lake County (everyone who lives in Chicago knows Lake County) So, I traced his ip address (I am in the IT field) and found that his ip address was in Enugu, Nigeria. When I asked him about it, he disappeared.

Wilson Hoods - His yahoo ID is wilsonhoods. But on eHarmony, his name is Davis. His profile said he's in North Chicago. Same thing, we IMed on yahoo, he said he was in Germany with his son who's 16. He's civil engineer and travels a lot, I asked him how come his son doesn't go to school, he said his son's smart and already finished the college. He never answered my questions like how long he will stay in Germany and same as Ken, he couldn't answer questions about North Chicago or avoided talking stuff only locals would know. I traced his IP address and found that it's from Accra, Ghana. Well, not Nigeria, but certainly not in Germany.

Don't count on eHarmony to do anything. There are ways to protect yourself from scammers... like trace the IP address (I can tell you how if you need to know), ask questions that only locals would know, etc.

Post subject: Re: Be Aware -- 2 scammers on eHarmony
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:00 am 

Yes, please post how to do it. I'm in the IT field too but a lot of people who come here to this board don't have a lot of technical know how. That should probably be one of the first things you should do when contacted by someone from a dating site. See if their IP# matches the location they claim to be.

Glad you asked him questions. These scammers are very good at pushing people's buttons but they have very little knowledge beyond their own countries so even simple questions about life in the USA. UK or wherever they claim they come from will often get them to reveal their ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:55 pm 

I have been reading your post about the IP address being in Nigeria. Did this Ken Walford ask you for money? Whenever anyone mentions Nigeria, they all say it is the Scam capital of the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:33 pm 
Gold Member

It is the scam capital of the world. The majority of the email scams are generated out of Nigeria because the scammers know the US will not come after them there. I have also heard that scam rings are forming in Iran because the US does not have any jurisdiction or extradition treaties with Iran so that would make the scammers untouchable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:41 am 

That is good to know..that Iran is now becoming the email scam perpetrators. Still wondering if pacifichawk was asked for money though. It is important to know who we are talking to online, but if they ask for money it changes the whole dynamics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:20 am 
Gold Member

The Iran information was on Dateline when they did their bit on scammers. I haven't heard of any scams really being committed from Iran so who knows if they have made any transition there yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am 

also beware of davestan86@yahoo.com

His profile on eHarmony was
'Dave' from 'Bell, CA'

but recently emailed me from davestan86@yahoo.com using the name Dave Jensen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:33 pm 

Yup, I've encountered davestan86@yahoo.com at eHarmony. He is indeed using Dave Jensen now.

Another scammer in eHarmony is Earl Darling - cutecaringearl@yahoo.com. So girls, really be careful in eHarmony.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:40 am 

FYI.

davestan86@yahoo.com ip address ---> Nairobi, Kenya

cutecaringearl@yahoo.com ip address --- > Lagos, Nigeria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm 

PacificHawk,
still interested in knowing if Ken Walford or Wilson Hoods asked you for money.

I'm asking because I have had that happen to me on a dating site.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:49 pm 

After I was almost scammed by a Edward "Eddy" Gaganol from eHarmony, I have been calling eHarmony every time I have recieved a suspicious profile. They will respond in a few days that they have investigated. I just assume that they are blocking the profiles. I read on another board that most of the fake profiles are started with stolen credit cards. Yes, I am naive! I thought eHarmony was a "safe" online dating website since there were so many "levels" you have to go through before you can email the person. But anyway.... I urge any eHarmony users to report any suspicious profiles they recieve. It may not be fool proof on stopping the scammers, but it is at least a start.

Melissa

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:01 pm 

PacificHawk, is there any way to find the ip address on Yahoo IM? Still wanting to know if you were solicited for money....wouldn't eHarmony have done something if you reported they asked for money? Seems like they would be a little more reputable than that. Anyway that's the impression you get from the ads.

Has anyone had a good experience on eHarmony?

Post subject: Re: Be Aware -- 2 scammers on eHarmony (more scammers?)
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 pm 

well here is another one from eHarmony that deserves some careful scrutiny.

Shadrick Grear from Milwaukee. He is very evasive to ignoring questions asked about himself. He says his home is in Milwaukee, but received an email with IP address from Ghana in W Africa. When doing a people finder search in US, this man just doesn't exist.

What's going on here girls?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:13 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

That really stinks that a company like eHarmony cannot do more to weed out the bad ones . . . like dating isn't hard enough already! :roll:

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:19 am 

My scammer was also on Eharmony. He went by the name Claide Eichmann. Classic mo- Handsome guy, had a wife who died of cancer 8 yrs ago, left him to raise his only son alone. Said he was an Amrican citizen, but was raised in Germany and the UK. Said he was in the gold and diamond mining business. Then he had to go to Ghana to oversee a mining operation. Ran out of $$, wanted me to send him some. Also wanted me to send phones, computers, workboots, etc. Then wanted me to send watches- he was going to remover the cz's and replace with real diamonds. He was very smooth-
Keep in mind- the pictures are ALWAYS fake, the address is also, their story never completely makes sense. If you have any niggling doubts that this may not be 100% on the level, then do not comply with their requests. A background check will turn up nothing because EVERYTHING is fabricated. Even the pics are probably stolen from a prior vicitm. They will send you checks to deposit- THEY ARE FAKE AND YOU CAN BE ARRESTED FOR ACCEPTING OR DEPOSITING THEM! They use money wiring services. You must stop all communications with them immediately.