ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how lava life is swindling its customers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 pm 

Hi - I have something I think should be shared on a site like this. It is not exactly a scam, but I would say that these people have figured out a way to make unauthorized charges to your credit card. They apparently do this to a lot of people, but due to the nature of their business, most people don't tell anyone about it. They just pay these unauthorized charges without saying anything to anyone. This actually happened to me a few months back, and I promised myself that I would tell everyone I could, which is my way of getting even with Lavalife for doing this to me:

Approx 1 1/2 years ago, I paid for a membership on Lavalife. I paid for this on my TD Visa, thinking that if something went wrong, Visa could take of it, since they used to advertise that sort of thing.

Anyway, everything was ok, I used up my time, and that was that. About 1 year later, I noticed an item on my Visa statement that I didn't remember ordering, etc. It was a charge for about $70 on my Visa ! I called Lavalife about it and they said : well, we have your credit card on file, so we charged a membership to it. I asked them for my money back since I did not make this second order and it was, an auauthorized charge. They replied (someone from their "risk assessment" dept replied) that they would not refund me this money, even though I didn't make the order.

I called Visa, and they told me they couldn't do anything about it.

Apparently, Lavalife rips people off whenever you pay by credit card with them. How they do it is like this: when you order their service and you go to pay, you have to check a terms of service box. In the text for this agreement, is a statement that they can charge you again and again and again on the anniversary date of the purchase and recharge your credit card each time !!!

I would have thought they would be honest enough to refund a customer's money for an unauthorized purchase, but it looks like they are ripping off people just because they have found a way to get around the law. Please don't fall for this. I would advise not even doing business with them.

There are many free personal sites out there that don't even charge. If you want one, go here: http://www.plentyoffish.com

or here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/

Post subject: Re: how lava life is swindling its customers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:09 am 

exactly, or you can also try 2meet4free.com...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:38 am 

That's just outrageous!! :shock:
Isn’t there any way to stop it? Can one call the Credit Card Company to block them from collecting the payment next year? I thought there was such an option, though I’m not sure about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:41 am 

Check them first at Scam Search. Scammers are becoming desperate as time goes by.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 pm 

Quote:
Isn’t there any way to stop it?

The only way I know of is to have the bank change your credit card number.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 am 

:x I thought i meet someone on lavalife and he turned out to be a con artist. What i thought was going to be a nice guy, was some swindler in africa. Lucky for me i never sent any money as i started to get suspicious because of a warning e-mail sent by a friend.
Why i'm mad at lavalife is they will not post warning of these scams on their site, letting people know how these preditors work. I feel they are responsible for not informing the customer. They have a obligation to me as i paid dearly for their service. I feel like getting a lawyer and suing them.
I understand from a friend who i later told that they heard something on the news in my area about 2 weeks prior. why is this company not being responsible enought to protect their ligitimate clients.
I've been angry and upset, feeling depressed and then to make matters worst this preditor starts sending me nasty messages.
:x :oops: :( :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 pm 

Quote:
worst this preditor starts sending me nasty messages.

I sugguest you block his emails and im's.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:57 pm 

Hey, I have a problem. I was woken by a text from my friend telling me that Lavachat has put a bill of 75$ onto my phone. He gave me the dates of when it happened, 2 days, and I never went on there, I don't even have an account. Anybody know about this?