ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scam or not?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:52 pm 

hi,,im new here..i have been wondering about something for a few years..maybe you guys/girls can help me figure this out..its kind of a long story, but i would like your opinions if you want to give them..my 37 year old neice met a man on line..they emailed, and eventually started talking for hours and hours and hours on the phone..he started to send her flowers by the dozens,,gift for her two daughters, money for her daughters, he even fed X'ed her 5 grand cash to buy a car..their romance grew to the point they picked out rings on the internet and became engaged..and also after she wrecked that car she bought with his 5 grand,,he had yet another car, delivered to her front door for her...so time went on and they grew closer and closer,,,but of course, he had a "sick mother" that always needed his attention..so everytime they agreed to meet (he is from R.I. and her , wisconsin), oh his poor mom would take a turn for the worse and he couldnt come..another time they planned to meet, his mom got WORSE and he needed to donate one of his kidneys to transplant to his dear old sick mom..so then of course he was laid up for 2 months from his surgery..he had planned to come visit her 3 times, but never made it here..but their romance continued to grow over a 3 year period and low and behold, he made plans again to come over july 4th. to get my neice and her 2 daughters and take them back to R.I. with him..it was all planned to the last detail, she sold most of her belongings, packed up the rest and put them by the front door, all ready for when he came...the DAY BEFORE he was suppose to get there,,, oh my, his mom got sick AGAIN and he could not come...now that time my neice,,"got a clue" and finially figured out what i had been telling her for 2 years, he is not who he says he is...so they never did meet, i do not think she talks to him anymore,,the subject is taboo now, we do not talk about HIM anymore..but over that 3 years, i think he spent at least 15 grand on her...so what kind of person would do this, but yet, not show himself??? anyone have any ideas? his so called name was Chris Barrett,,and i dont even know if that was true or not..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:04 am 
Gold Member

If he was a scammer, he wasn't very good at it - outlay of $15,000 over 3 years, but no apparent return on that outlay. Did your niece own some assets that he hoped he may be able to persuade her to part with as a result of his apparent extreme generosity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:28 am 

nope my neice did not own anything..its not a scam really,,but i never knew why all that would even take place if he had no intentions of showing himself..i am thinking he was a lonely rich man with nothing better to do with his money..?