ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True.com Romance Scam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:04 pm 

Yep another victim not as hurt as some could be just puzzled can someone read this and make any since of this?

I do believe the person in question was more of a professional. They knew everything as we do in the Usa and talked like a American. Met this person on True then went to e-mailing each other. The person was in Lagos Africa the usual setting of course. Her job was into Computer Exporting and was working and installing Computers for a new Collage down there. Everything was going fine until she found out she was paid in Money orders that can be only cashed in the Usa for security reasons of the fraud that goes on there. So she could not fly back

I helped here by sending her money by Western Union. She did supposedly buy the Ticket. Then she could not keep it a secret any longer and told me of this inheritance she was supposed to get. It was sitting in a Uk Courier company and needed to be shipped off. I of course did not have 5 grand to send them ... so we are trying to figure this out and then one morning she emails me that she got paid for a past client. And send me the UPS tracking number. It was a Sun trust cashier check from Florida for 8,300 I placed that in my bank and cashed fine. It had a guys name on it was sent from Florida. Well I sent 5 grand to the Courier company and sent here more money since it was hers? Now I am 8 grand in the negative.

Before that she wanted me to reverse one of her payments for her plane ticket and send it to some lady in New Mexico for Antiques. I told her the payment could not be reversed and she had to do it. I checked on these addresses and names with Net Detective it pulls what looks like dummy addresses . The name is not available but all you see is NA for address or phone or name or anything that might give you a lead. What confuses me is What does A person in Africa have to do with connections in UK, New Mexico, and Florida? Unless this is a major operation of scammers working together is all I can think of?

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:27 pm 

Quote:
Unless this is a major operation of scammers working together is all I can think of?

You just answered the question.

Scams these days are very "high tech" and world wide thanks to the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:53 pm 
Gold Member

Yes, the scammers are somewhat professional. This is how they make a living, and some scammers have had years of practice at spinning lies and decieving their targets. I'm sorry you were scammed, but don't blame yourself for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:37 am 

I been thinking. There must be some place on the internet where these scammers meet. Underground so to speak or whatever. I know police have dug down and busted rings of people who exploit warez on the internet. I just wonder if somewhere on this net there is a place where they all meet world wide. Just makes me curious if they could be found by someone if there was such a operation.

Which I am sure there is.