ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best friend scammed in check fraud by her boyfriend, help!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:12 pm 

One of my best friends has been scammed by her so-called boyfriend. Here is the story that he wove:

-"Darik" owed "Brianna" a sum of $500, which she generously lent him after he wove some other sob story for her.
-Brianna asked Darik for the $500, as she needed the money for this month's rent.
-Darik then went to another "friend" and asked to borrow the $500 he needed to pay back Brianna.
-The "friend" being oh-so generous, gave Darik a $5,000 check made out to the "friend."
-The friend claimed he came into it because someone else owed him money, and being the generous person he is, wanted to help out Darik.
-Darik then came to Brianna with the check, which was somehow signed over to her (that part I'm cloudy about).
-Darik told her to cash the check at her bank, take the $500 he owed her, and give the remaining cash back to him.
-Of course the check was a fake, the bank called Brianna and told her she needed to repay the funds immediately or they would go to the authorities.
-Since Brianna had already given up the cash, and her account did not contain nearly the $5,000 that was needed, she had to go to her brother-in-law for help.
-He obliged, because, well that's what family does.
-When Brianna asked Darik what in the hell had happened, he sold her yet another sob story about one of his dying friends needing the money, and 'oh, he had NO idea that the check was bad.'

My analysis: yeah freaking right. What I think happened was that Darik owed someone around $5,000--and desperately enough that he needed to take advantage of someone (Brianna). He keeps making up more and more sob stories as to why he cannot repay the $ yet. Darik is obviously still in the picture at all due to the fact that he has to keep conning her so she doesn't go to the police.

My question is, where do we go from here? Lawyer? Police fraud report? Or if she does that will she never see the $ again? What if she can't afford a lawyer? So many questions, so little time. I truly feel that this guy and his cohorts are DANGEROUS. Please HELP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 pm 
Gold Member

Is 'Darik' in the U.S? Would he happen to be of Nigerian/West African origin?
'Darik' is no friend of 'Brianna' - she should report him to the police immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:44 pm 

Hi there--no, he is not of Nigerian origin. He actually lives in our city and is definitely a U.S. citizen. What I'm concerned about is that the $ he stole is literally all she has. It's important to her that she gets it back, so is going to the authorities the best answer? I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:37 am 
Gold Member

Unless you want to hire some heavies to put the frighteners on him, the proper legal course seems the best way. Brianna needs to make clear to Darik that any relationship they had is now over, and he has landed himself in serious trouble due to his illegal activities. Brianna should speak to a lawyer about what civil action can be taken against Darik to recover the debt owed, and to prevent any further contact from Darik (under the relevant anti-harassment laws). Because there has been an emotional involvement between Brianna and Darik, this may seem difficult for Brianna, but she needs to come to terms with the stark reality that Darik is nothing more than a low-life confidence trickster who has used her for his own financial gain with scant regards for what might happen to Brianna as a result. He belongs in prison.