There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do they ask you to "Hold" and then forward "M
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:12 am 
Gold Member

I have a question to people who have had contact with scammers from Nigeria, or anywhere in West Africa. I'm a relay operator. I make calls for these Nigerians all day long against my will. They often contact people they meet on dating sites and ask them if they can use their address to have packages shipped there. Then they ask people to allow Fedex or DHL or UPS to come pick up their package at the house and forward it to Nigeria. Or they just ask the person to ship it to them themselves.

Has anyone ever given their address to the scammer for this purpose? Or had packages just show up at their house that belongs to the Nigerian?

Here's the reason I ask. The goods that they have shipped to these US addresses are stolen. Not in the conventional way... They use stolen/fake credit cards to buy things over the phone and then they need somene in the US to allow them to ship it to their address because most businesses wont ship to Nigeria. Then they con the person into either sending it to them in Nigeria, or they just have one of the big 3 shipping companies to pick it up.

If anyone has a story like this... please reply. TIA

Post subject: After researching this a bit more...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:36 am 
Gold Member

Apparently, this is a huge operation. It's called the "Nigerian Reshipping ring" of crime. I just googled those words..

As a relay operator, I've always wondered how the nigerians get the US addresses to initially ship their fraudulently-bought packages. I always assumed that the people receiving the goods inside the US were just helping the nigerians (and knew the stuff was bought using stolen credit cards). But the more I read, the more I realize that the "reshippers" are victims of a huge scam operation.

I still want to reiterate, if this has happened to you, and you were unwittingly help re-ship packages to Nigeria, or anywhere else, please reply here. Thanks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 pm 

yep I was involved with this. I ended up taking the item they bought and shipped to me and selling it on ebay.