ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: online dating
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 am 

Have anybody heard anything bad about russianlovematch.com there real costly and im not sure the girls on there are real or they work for the site does anymore know any thing can someone help me.I like this women but i not sure if the site can be trusted

Post subject: FUTILE SEARCH FOR HOT RUSSIAN BRIDE or RUSSIAN LOVE MATCH
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:11 pm 

UKRAINE TRAVELOGUE BY A NAÏVE AMYERIKANYETS IN
SEARCH OF A HOT RUSSIAN BRIDE OR A RUSSIAN LOVE MATCH

Odesa is certainly one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Kiev is also impressive in its own way with its huge streets and sidewalks and architecture that compares to the grandeur of Moscow. I enjoyed great weather for the two weeks, the stunning, dramatic architecture and the free concerts in the park.

I have had some unforgettable experiences here with the Ukrainian people that I will cherish, e.g., the taxi driver with the old Soviet era Lada spewing black smoke and no suspension to speak of going the full nine yards trying to find a Kiev night club listed in the Lonely Planet guide that we finally concluded must be closed. This guy was hilarious, ranting and raving in Russian, knowing full well I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about. He just wouldn’t quit trying to find this place for me for over a half hour for a $3 taxi fare, stopping, getting out of his taxi and asking other taxi drivers in such an animated way. I was laughing so hard at the end, I had tears coming to my eyes. He cracked up laughing too in spite of himself. I tipped him well.

Without a doubt, many of “the Ukraine girls really knock me out” with their long, shiny blonde hair, tight miniskirts, short shorts, push-up bras, plunging necklines and strappy, spiked high heels. A guy can sit in a sidewalk café for hours in Odesa ogling the parade of beauties strutting up and down the sidewalks like high fashion models on the runway. It boggles the mind. I know this from experience.

Like anywhere else, most of the people here are friendly and sincere – probably 60% of them. Some are mildly hostile or grouchy and others just plain vicious, petty and self-serving. The last group shouldn’t be a problem for you unless you have paid them well and entrusted them with helping you navigate the sometimes treacherous waters of the most vulnerable and intimate part of your life – your love life. And if they repeatedly betray you and blatantly violate your trust and confidentiality, it can make a guy feel altogether jaded and alienated for a while. And if you travel so far only to have all your efforts and expense to establish romantic relationships undermined by people you pay handsomely to represent you in a favorable way who instead poison the well, it might motivate you to at least warn others of the distinct possibility that these unfortunate circumstances may also befall them.

Below is a list of thirty things I wish I knew in advance that I’m presenting here as a service to my comrades considering taking the plunge into the former Soviet Union in search of a sweetheart. I am writing this on a lonely evening after having been stood up by a lady I’ve been communicating with for months. Although, I’ve been told by Hot Russian Brides Administrator Patrick Hollidge that the following points are not the responsibility of HRB to share with its clients, it certainly would have been nice to know more of what I could expect. If you decide to pursue face-to-face relationships with ladies on Hot Russian Brides (HRB) or Russian Love Match, all the same company with Anastasia Web as I’ve learned, you might be interested in the steep learning curve I have undertaken having met only six ladies in two weeks through their services:

1. Learning at the last minute that you have to spend at least $1,000 with them to get email addresses of the ladies’ agencies (to be fair, this point was spelled out in the fine print that I agreed to by logging on to the website);

2. Learning at the last minute that HRB will only give you ten addresses – five at a time because of their manpower constraints; they maintain that for some strange reason, it takes a lot of time to cut and paste those agencies’ email addresses into an email post for you; this was not spelled out in the fine print;

3. Learning that you cannot hand-carry attestation forms to the agencies upon arrival; they’re supposed to receive it one month in advance for some other reason; not spelled out in the contract;

4. Learning that there may be other unspecified paperwork due a month in advance; not spelled out in the contract;

5. Learning that the Russian visa application is long and tedious and may take several weeks to get approved – unless you want to pay $170 for expedited processing; to be fair, it’s much harder, bordering on the impossible, for them to get a visa to the U.S. nowadays;

6. Learning from a lady that you have to make travel plans through the agency of the lady you want to contact; if you object strenuously enough, they’ll maintain that the lady misunderstood and attribute it to the language barrier;

7. Learning from HRB Administrator Patrick Hollidge during a wake-up phone call from him at 5 am that he understands that he could inform his customers better as to what to expect, what needs to be done, and what timelines should be observed, but he doesn’t have to change anything on the website unless he wants to and that he can change the terms and conditions or anything else on the website whenever he wants to; he also states that he does not care what is written about him or his company on the internet (that’s a relief -- I certainly wouldn’t want to upset him);

8. Learning that HRB’s affiliated local agency administrator (Inna Chernaya) in Odesa may state in writing that you will be charged $250 for each contact to see if you’ll bite; again, if you object strenuously enough they may tell you that the charge is really for five meetings and blame the language barrier for the misunderstanding; the Kiev agency stated that they charge $100 per meeting, but settled for $70;

9. Learning from the Odesa agency that they will also charge $50 for each subsequent meeting with the same lady; apparently, if you marry the lady, you’re indebted to the local agency administrator for life; of course, she is likely to deny having said that and blame it on the language barrier if challenged since there is no written contract with her agency and no provisions in the contract with HRB;

10. Learning that the address of the Odesa agency is insufficient even for two local taxi drivers to find and finally when a third taxi driver helps you find the building, even residents of the same building do not know where the unmarked office is;

11. Learning that, after having knocked on many doors of the building to inquire where the office is, you find the correct office, but there is nobody there to receive you or to keep the appointment that you made with HRB’s affiliated Odesa agency administrator;

12. Learning that when you call the affiliated agency administrator in Odesa with whom you had an appointment but does not speak English, she just hangs up on you without an explanation of any kind;

13. Learning that it you complain to HRB that they will finally call for you to get the local agency to set up some meetings and do their job, but they will scold you for not knowing psychically or magically that you had to submit the attestation form in to the agency one month in advance; they will do you the favor of calling the agency to get some services for you, but you must understand that you’re not really entitled to these additional services for your $1000 and that you should feel indebted to them for interceding for you because you didn’t submit the attestation form a month in advance (it’s kind of like telling you that your car doesn’t run because you didn’t register it in time); apparently, their motto is “The customer is always wrong”;

14. Learning that local agency personnel refer to their clients as “little children” or “cheap” if they complain about the services or lack thereof;

15. Learning that the ladies you had looked forward to meeting the most suddenly took a holiday out of town and will be unavailable until after you leave town;

16. Learning from the Odesa agency administrator Inna Chernaya that other ladies who said they are anxious to meet me do not want to meet today due to the weather (it rained for about 20 minutes that morning, but blue skies prevailed for the rest of the day); I learn from one of them later that they had never been contacted earlier;

17. Learning from a lady that the administrator of the affiliated Odesa agency has badmouthed me in no uncertain terms for daring to complain about poor services and is surprised to learn that I’m really a nice guy; and here I am, paying the salary of this toxic administrator who has poisoned the well;

18. Learning in four email posts one right after the other from another lady that I had hoped to meet that I had been complaining too much according to the agency administrator and that she is no longer interested in seeing me; for some reason, I had expected that, even if the administrator could not speak well of me to the ladies I had communicated with for months, that she would at least exercise confidentiality about problems not involving ladies I had hoped to meet;

19. Learning later from the same lady that she would be willing to meet after all and asks you to call her the next day but she gave you the wrong mobile phone number to call; you call her son the later on and he tells you her correct mobile number that isn’t even close to the one she gave you;

20. Learning that a lady with whom I had never communicated has come all the way to the agency from a town outside of Odesa to see me as soon as possible and that I should come to the agency right away; I looked up this woman’s webpage and don’t recall ever having seen her before and had certainly never communicated with her at all; was told that she had three children, but her webpage lists her as having no children; declined the invitation/summons and communicated with HRB Administrator Patrick Hollidge via email about this bizarre situation; he replies with the non-sequitur and “Pat” response out of left field that I’m just unhappy with the response I got from this “relationship” with this woman I never met or even wanted to meet; WTF??!!

21. Learning that another lady I’ve been communicating with for several months appears in the flesh looking 20 lbs. heavier and ten years older than her pictures;

22. Learning that three ladies who advertise themselves as not drinking or smoking actually drink like fish and smoke like chimneys – one of whom even ordered cigarettes on the restaurant tab; they laugh when you mention that discrepancy and shrug it off by saying that they could quit drinking and smoking if their future husband wanted them to;

23. Learning that most of the ladies who stated on their webpages that they possessed intermediate English proficiency actually speak English as well as most Americans speak Russian and require translators to accompany us at $10/hour; of course, each time I end up paying for the translator’s meal and drinks as well to avoid looking like a cheapskate;

24. Learning that one lady who appears as pretty svelte blonde on her webpage is no longer svelte or blonde grilles me about why I got divorced and whether my kids are gay and orders enough food for three in an expensive restaurant; then seems to object if you eat too much of the $60 worth of shashlik that she insists on taking with her in a “doggie bag” after the one-hour dinner date; you discover later that the food was for the local Kiev agency employee whom you paid $70 earlier that day for the contact who later complains shamelessly that she ended up getting only three pieces of meat;

25. Learning that a high percentage of Ukrainians are openly prejudiced against our black brothers; although they may say that they love blues and jazz, many use the “N” word liberally; when you point out the duplicity of their dislike for the people who created blues and jazz and are the best athletes in the world, they shrug it off with, “I don’t have to like them to like their music”; then they seem surprised and offended to learn that you don’t find bigotry an attractive quality;

26. Learning that one lady you are introduced to as a substitute for a last-minute cancellation is in love with some guy she met several months ago and that she got a student visa, although she does not intend to study anything, and cannot wait to move in with him in New York in a few weeks, but that she does get severely depressed when they quarrel which makes her feel that life is meaningless because she has no goals in her life;

27. Learning that the same lady has ordered her favorite entree for both you and the translator, along with two double shots of whiskey that both you and the translator expressly told her was not wanted; then finding that the restaurant that advertises accepting VISA credit cards won’t accept yours for the food and drinks you didn’t even want or order because of some unexplainable glitch in their system;

28. Learning that it takes over a half hour to cash a VISA Traveler’s Cheque if you can find a bank that will cash them and you have to stand in queues at three different bank windows before you get your Hrivnia; of course, they charge a 2% commission fee as well and will scold you if you complain; also, it seems that some people here will cut in front of you while waiting in line if you don’t assert yourself;

29. Learning that even some of the banks that advertise accepting traveler’s checks will not accept them and out of frustration, you end up taking cash advances off your credit card at a 3% commission fee;

30. Learning that you can easily go through $200 for a three hour dinner date (including the agency fee and translator fee) and then the “non-drinking, non-smoking” lady already three-fourths drunk and practically chain-smoking who is severely depressed and in love with someone else and only half as pretty as her pictures asks for another $7 for taxi fare back home – and maybe you get a faint-hearted wave and a glib smile as the taxi pulls away. If you look closely, you might be able to make out the thought balloon above her head that reads, “Sucker!! … Loser!!”

Aside from the above, my trip to Ukraine was just great. It really was.

As you might expect, the ones who appear on their webpages to be real lookers are more conceited and less available or totally unavailable when it comes down to making actual plans – and then, if you do get to meet them, they may not look all that great in person. Don’t underestimate the power of Photoshop software to make a glamorous photo of an average looking woman appear to be a top fashion model with impossibly long legs to die for that go all the way to heaven. I don’t necessarily believe this, but I have to admit that, for all I know, some of the real lookers could be men using models’ pictures. Of course, there are also plenty of hookers available who are probably more honest with respect to delivery of services promised – and way cheaper. I certainly would not recommend this for several reasons, one of which is the fact that the AIDS epidemic here is full-blown and on the rise. Russia has the largest HIV epidemic in Europe, and accounts for around two-thirds of the cases in the Eastern Europe and Central Asia region. Of course, one has no way of knowing which of the Hot Russian Brides may be HIV positive either. Who knows? Maybe I just dodged a bullet.

All that said, I wouldn’t totally rule out the possibility that you could find your soul mate on the dating websites. Of the six ladies I actually met in two weeks, there was one that I was interested in seeing a second time, but she said that she was leaving for a vacation in Crimea the next day – possibly with her boyfriend, for all I know. She commiserated with me about these experiences, rolled her eyes, nodded knowingly and summed it all up by saying something I heard from several different people in two weeks, “This is Ukraine”, meaning that this is just the way it is here. It’s no wonder that so many are so desperate to get out of this country. Of course, there are many sadder and more tragic stories where trusting guys spent over $10,000 to bring ladies to their country on fiancé (K-1) visas, only to be abandoned by them in a matter of weeks.

In all fairness, I do believe that there could be many sincere sweethearts somewhere here who would be wonderful soulmates and make all this pain worthwhile – however, probably a lot less likely to be found through Hot Russian Brides. I have heard that some other local agencies with less hype or no exposure on the internet, especially in smaller towns, may provide a better selection of ladies whose pictures may not be appear to be as sexy or glamorous as the ones on Hot Russian Brides, but who may be more genuine, sincere and down-to-earth. I can imagine all of the trouble taken to find this “heart of gold” would make all of these problems seem very romantic and comical. I can imagine my grandchildren laughing as I tell them about the hell I had to go through to find their Ukrainian grandmother. It may be possible that, despite all this expense, inconvenience, headache and heartache that I experienced, someone could actually get lucky and find a lady with real integrity and inner beauty who does not view us as prey. I cannot calculate what those odds are. You do the math.

However, there was clearly no luck in the cards I was dealt by Hot Russian Brides or Russian Love Match and its local Ukrainian affiliates in Odesa and Kiev. I decided to fold my hand and cut my considerable losses. It turned out to be a very expensive learning experience. I fully acknowledge that there were no guarantees that I would win at this game. It’s just that I feel like I was dealt cards from the bottom of a stacked deck – and they wouldn’t even let me look at my hand until after I had placed my bet.

“Caveat Emptor” (buyer beware).

August, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:42 am 
Gold Member

Cooldoc,

What agencies did you use, other than Hot Russian Brides?
Sounds like anyone considering doing the same as you, should avoid the agencies you used. There are agencies that are genuine, and won't try to rip you off, but it's difficult to judge them beforehand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:40 pm 

Ouch
Hmm I have been on Russian Love match now for a couple of months and is 2000$ poorer. well I'm glad I "only" spent 2 grands so far :) by the look of this I could have lost alot more!!

Many thanks to cooldoc

Post subject: Re: FUTILE SEARCH FOR HOT RUSSIAN BRIDE or RUSSIAN LOVE MATC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:34 am 

cooldoc wrote:
I don’t necessarily believe this, but I have to admit that, for all I know, some of the real lookers could be men using models’ pictures.

Believe it. Many of the so-called women on those sites are really men. They are professional scammers and will take you for every cent you have. The more organized ones belong to scammer gangs and keep a stable of women that pose for the pics they send. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and stay far away from Russian bride sites.

Post subject: Lollers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:58 am 

Let me get this straight cooldoc, it was the agency's fault that you didn't do research about the place you were visiting? LOL. What next, are you going to blame them for the weather?

Sounds to me like you're just bitter because the trip didn't work out. Only about two of the things you mentioned could even be closely equated to being the agency's fault, and even then I question the legitimacy of your claims.

Post subject: Yeah
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 am 

I agree with you Plymouth! I was kinda quick when I made my last post!!

I ended up staying at RLM/HRB and actually get the impression that theyr doing a good job even if I still think this is expencive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:39 pm 

Thanks Eric, I agree with you.

I don't know how many times cooldoc has left the country but I know when I was 18 (a long time ago) I learned that absolutely NOBODY accepts traveler's checks anymore. I've even had bank managers tell me not to bother with them.

In the end I think this fellow is just sore that it didn't work out. After all, it is a very long flight.

Post subject: Plymouth is HRB/RLM employee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:32 pm 

Hello there, Plymouth, Web Administrator of HRB/RLM. I know your style by now. You're still just as sleazy as ever, aren't you?

I repeat: Caveat Emptor. Don't say that you weren't warned if you decide to blow your money with these greedy, unworkable scam artists.

Post subject: Re: Plymouth is HRB/RLM employee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:43 pm 

[quote="cooldoc"]Hello there, Plymouth, Web Administrator of HRB/RLM. I know your style by now. You're still just as sleazy as ever, aren't you?

Wow. Paranoid much?

Look cooldoc, I'm not affiliated with, nor do I work with any agency. The fact that you suspect this just kind of proves my previous point. The moment someone questions your mighty opus of a "report" you accuse them of being a shill.

I've been going on a lot of tours for a while now and I think I've got you pegged. You sound to me like some older dude who goes into these tours with stars in your eyes. Let me take a guess, the ages of the women you wanted to meet were probably between 20-30? How close am I?

Look man, you didn't do your research at all. You brought traveler's checks which haven't been widely accepted since the '80's, you didn't even research the area you were visiting and worst of all you probably didn't even listen to the agency that brought you there. I've used HRB once or twice and even though they were a bit pricy I never had the kind of problems you're whining about.

My suggestion? Stop dating online and find yourself a retirement home to prowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 am 

Look coolodoc maybe i was a bit hard on you. Were all here to vent about some kind of scam or not. I guess my problem is that your report sounds less like a scam and more like a bad accident. Believe me, I've read about some doosies in my time too.

Ive had my share of bad experiences with online dating. My first issue came from using the horrid Anastasia, where I almost lost myh shirt to a scammer. Ive been pretty careful since then but unfortunately this is a very dangerous proces.

is Hrb even in business anymore? when I check my old link i pull up a blank page.

Anyways, I hope that you have better luck later on down the road. Like I said, you need to really do some research before you start traveling, especially when you're going to some place far over seas.

Post subject: Plymouth is a shill
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:59 pm 

I am 99% certain Plymouth is a shill. This is not paranoia. This is well-calculated reasoning. Plymouth just happens to use the same words in the same order as the guy who tried so hard in vain to defend HRB/RLM from my complaints in a series of emails to me. It would be a mistake to think for one minute that these people are ethical enough to refrain from acting as shills to discredit someone who has legitimate complaints about their sleazy company. They have a big money-making ripoff industry to defend. It's understandable that he would be so overly defensive ... then realize that he went overboard and try to recover from his insulting and derisive overstatements.

Honestly, does Plymouth sound like someone who is thankful that a consumer is sharing his experience?

Or does he sound like someone engaged in major damage control?

He comes from the Karl Rove school of public relations, i.e., agree with nothing, deny everything and counterattack.

You're quite pathetic, Mr. Plymouth. Good luck with your dirty little scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:25 pm 

maninthestreet wrote:
Cooldoc,

What agencies did you use, other than Hot Russian Brides?
Sounds like anyone considering doing the same as you, should avoid the agencies you used. There are agencies that are genuine, and won't try to rip you off, but it's difficult to judge them beforehand.

Maninthestreet:

I've heard that Globaladies is good. Don't know for sure. Much cheaper and the pics are genuine, rather than touched-up glamour shots. Your question addresses an important point. Thank you.

This website would be more useful if there were reports from others who have had good experiences -- or at least were treated honestly. If you want to be treated fairly, I suggest staying away from the following:

Russian Love Match
Hot Russian Brides
Anastasia Web

Good luck :)

Post subject: paranoid much?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:58 am 

cooldoc I take back anything nice I wrote to u.

Your paranoid and your hopeless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:16 am 

hmmm... I've been checking out HotRussianBrides and I'm a bit skeptical, mainly because the bulk of the e-mails (210) I've been getting are from women half my age (I'm 39), or my age/older than me. It seems pretty clear that the ladies are not reading the profiles or they are just being automatically sent by the web site; I was pretty clear as to what I'm looking for (tall/fit/russian), but I'm also getting e-mails from short and heavy women from Colombia? I haven't spent any money on this site yet, and I will not, until they fix their site security certificate problem; it has expired... but I may not ever... read on.

I want to share the one experience I did have. I started chatting with a very pretty 25 year old woman in Khabarovsk in June; I met her through http://www.elenasmodels.com. She gave me her e-mail after the first letter (and the rest of her contact info subsequently) and I haven't had to deal with the agency since. I managed to visit her last week coming home from a business trip. Bear in mind that this is the Far East; this isn't Moscow or St. Petersburg; if she'd hadn't been a complete dream I could have been royally screwed as the airport is circa 1930 and the ATMs don't accept my ATM card. She fronted a bit of coin to get me to the hotel and situated; she also had scheduled the whole week off and spent it all with me. She never asked me for any money, I met her family... she is a fantastic girl... I never doubted her for a second. This experience has been not too different than meeting someone through Match, she is just further away and from a completely different culture.

I guess you could say that I'm a believer in this kind of thing so roll the dice; expect some bullshit from women 18-22 for sure, I've read that this is a like a game to them, and that people in western Russia/eastern Europe are less genuine then the women from the Far East. But, I'll bet that if you focus on one girl, and treat her like you would a girlfriend, you will get everything you'd expect from the best girl you'll ever meet. But, if you treat this opportunity like a meat market, vis-a-vis, travel to Ukraine and expect to meet/screw a dozen women, they will probably take your money and give you the finger. Let the buyer beware... well yeah, but what do you expect? These women (>22 y.o.) do need to get married; it's part of their social paradigm... but if you treat them the way a Russian man would, she is going to say screw you the only way she can.

Why am I looking at HotRussianBrides? Hell if I know.. I'm a man and the pix are hot, duh! I think things will work out between me and my Far East girl though, but I am finding that it will be difficult to get her a B-1 Visa... working on that one. Doing the financee visa (H-1) kind of freaks me out, considering she'd have to quit her job and live with me, and go through the hassle of getting medically tested; I'd think I'd like to get to know her better before getting that serious.

Just my three cents.