ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scammers enter the dating scene
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:01 am 

Since I recently re-entered the dating scene, I thought I'd try the internet singles forums. This has not turned out to be too promising, other than finding the scammers have found a niche there, too.

They will sign up for an account and even, in many cases include a photo (those lovely passport-type looking photos or an obviously copied photo from a magazine). Their profile reads like it was written by my friend's 4-year old. All this aside, it gives a location as a town or city in the states. I personally have not been contacted by one of these losers, but I know quite a few that have. One girl said that she got a message from a "Mark" who said he lived outside of Philadelphia. Through his broken english, he was quite the sweet talker. She knew right away he was full of it, not just because his pledges of love where sent to a woman he never met before, but mainly because his picture (who he insisted WAS him) was of Tom Cruise. She decided to play with him awhile. He said he wanted to meet her, wine & dine her, etc., so she tried to set something up with him. Then, suddenly, he got "called away" for work and was going to be out of the country for a few days. He even went as far to say he had to go to Nigeria! Exactly who goes to Nigeria on business? She tried several times to find out what he (claimed) to do for a living, but all he would say that it was computer related. Yeah, I'm sure it is.

He kept in contact with her while away on business, continuing to woo her to the extreme that I almost died laughing. Then he got to the point. He was "stuck" in Nigeria. Some problem with work...he wouldn't be able to come home for another month. UNLESS he could get $800 that he was short to fly back with. His employer had some kind of "problem" and although he would be more than happy to reimburse her for it when he got home, he had nobody there that could access his funds and loan him the money. He promised to pay her back just as soon as he returned to Philly. All she had to do was Western Union him the money and he could be out of there the next day.

She told him she wired the money, by automatic international bank wire (roflol) to the American Embassy in Nigeria and all he had to do was go there and show his passport and the money was his. He was freaking out!! Suddenly there was a problem at the Embassy...he couldn't go THERE! There was some issue with his employer. He urged her to send the money Western Union, but now she told him that all her funds were already tied up in the wire to the Embassy and she didn't have any more money. He continued to act like he didn't understand and after several unanswered emails, he stopped bothering her. However, at the same time that he was going through this whole "Nigerian Emergency" another friend responded to his singles post and he replied with the same garbage and guess what? He was still in Philly.

They're everywhere!!!!