ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help please friend being scammed she may leave country!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:23 pm 

My friend met someone on Zoosk who says his name is Eric she will not tell me his last name. She has talked with him now for over a year. He has been working on some oil rig on some island below Nigeria he has been there for over a year, Actually when she first started talking to him he said he was in scotland on an oil rig then had to fly to this oil rig in these islands by Nigeria. He keeps coming up with all kinds of stories of why he is stuck there and now is telling her he is just waiting for monies to be transfered into his account but now he has to get some kind of paper work otherwise the nigerian company cannot transfer his payment of 500,000.00 into his bank account here in the U.S. He is telling her he wants her to meet him in Scotland because he has to fly back there again for another payment. He says he lives in California and has a 9 year old son who is being taken care of by a nanny. Wife died of cancedr and parents died in car accident. He says he has a business that works on oil rigs but he has no eb site and says he is on face book but no pic or any info. I know she has told him that she is expecting a large settlement from workers comp. I am petrified!! She is on the phone telling him I love you calling him Baby she has never met this guy!! She tells me he would not stand her up if she goes to Scotland to meet him. He does call her and she says he has a valid cell phone number PLEASE HELP I AM REALLY AFRAID IF SHE DOES GO TO SCOTLAND TO "MEET" HIM I MAY NOT SEE MY FRIEND AGAIN.

Post subject: Re: help please friend being scammed she may leave country!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Show your friend the stories posted here. There are so many stories that sound just like the situation that is happening to her, and they all turn out to be scams.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 am 

I am sure that you have told your friend that this person is a scammer. She does not want to accept that right now. She needs to come to that conclusion herself. My suggestion would be that you seat with her and look at all the emails and whatever paper work he has sent and bit by bit work out all the cracks in his story. It is like putting a puzzle together,

Myself I had fallen for a scammer, by the time I had realised, I had evidence which I could not not deny. I tried to go to the authorities and reported the scammer but at the same time I kept him online and talking not to loose him. Eventually he confessed to me and now he is supporting me in helping other victims. I thougth I was talking to a 48 year old US guy when at the end I was talking to a 22 year old Nigerian kid scamming me so that he could go to college. Brutal, hein!!!

You friend must not travel anywhere to meet anyone as she has no idea who she is dealing with here but she needs to travel down memory lane and walk herself through the whole story. I am sure she is intelligent and she will work it out. Telling her will not help her.

I am available if you want to discuss further

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:29 am 

Dahlfi wrote:
Eventually he confessed to me and now he is supporting me in helping other victims.

Trust me he isn't. He just changed tactics and is now working on a new way to get money. Scammers do not see the light and repent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:22 am 

[quote="Pennywise"][quote="Dahlfi"]

yes, that would have been my thoughts as well but as I wanted to make sure I kept track of him, I kept him online and I have verified what he has told me as far as his whereabouts and what he is doing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:26 am 

Dahlfi wrote:
yes, that would have been my thoughts as well but as I wanted to make sure I kept track of him, I kept him online and I have verified what he has told me as far as his whereabouts and what he is doing.

So????

He told you what you already knew and nothing that is important. He is 22 and still wants to go to college??? With the number of Nigerians that want to go to college, they are a few universities short. That story is as common as the refugee camp and the big inheritence.

I do not know how he helps you in supporting other victims, but I find that a very dangerous thing. Every victim info, even if it is only an email address, he will start trying to scam himself, or sell to his friends. Victims, people that have proven they will send money, are the best prey they can get.

Hate to tell you this, but you really do not understand their world and you are still a victim in believing he is helping you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am 

Does this bother you? Being bitter which you are will not make the ball moving forward furthermore this post is for that Lady who wants to help her friend not to challenge my own story. So if you can help this Lady then write something constructive.

I shared this with her so that she could pass it on to her friend to help her friend see the truth. If you want to discuss my story, do it separetly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:05 pm 

Yes it bothers me! A lot! Where you think you have a scammer helping you, you are actually helping and educating the scammer. Like a scam victim, you fail to see reason, no matter who is offering it.
Also elling people scammers will repent and change their life because of you is giving victims false hope and only make matters worse. A person in love will believe they are in love with that one scammer that can change. You ofer help based on one personal experience, but you know absolutely nothing about scammers. So yes, it bothers me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:09 am 

[quote="Pennywise"]

This is you: Scammers are all low life scum bags who don't deserve to live. No one is arguing that but that is not bringing any solutions to the issue at hand.

This is me:Ok, then, I need to understand how these scumbags operates to find ways to stop them operating. It is a mean to an end.

I have done all I was told to do. Reported on IC3, went to my police station, spoke to an FBI agent several time and passed all that I had on him at the time. Why is he still at large? hein? With all that fancy technology these guys have at their disposal, how is it so hard for them to track down scammers ? They simply have too many complaints to deal with and in a way, arresting a scammer for them is like arresting the small time street corner drug dealer, it does not stop the drog traffic. To stop the scammers, measures have to be taken with the method and the tools they use to stop them operating. that is my logic here.

I don"t know what your story is here, but if you joined this site to vent your anger, this is not helpful, get a shrink!

I joined this site to compare my experience with others and see what else I can collect in order to get agencies to take measures and find solutions. That has nothing to do with being in love with a scammer which I don t recall saying. And where have I said that scammers repent? For the Nigerians, scamming and corruption is a way of life, there is no hope in repent there, pick it up with the Nigerian gvt. That is why you need to fight them with their own weapons.

Now and again, this post is for this Lady, if you want to pursue this, open another post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:02 am 

No, you are not in love with a scammer, but with the idea you have turned one that is now giving you "honest " answers and is helping you with other victims. If it isn't repent, what else is moving him.

If you need to understand how they operate you should have an open mind to what people try to tell you. Your scammer is still at large, cause whatever agencies you want something to do about it and take meassures have absolutely no say in Nigeria. How are they supposed to take care of your scammer. Send a SEAL team with Steven Seagal?

You want meassures to be taken with the method and the tools they use to stop them operating. How? The methods they learn from eachoter. The tools are the same as you and I use. You can not single out scammers and forbid them to date, or use the internet.
There are people that are fighting them with their own weapons, but all they achieve is wasting the scammers time and money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 pm 

[quote="Pennywise"] I am extremely open minded and I know about the jurisdictions issue with Nigeria but all I hear is negativity and acceptance that nothing can be done, or that is how I am receiving it. Steven Seagal is not required here (btw he also happens to be one of my favorite actors), Nigeria needs to enforce 419 and this is not happening. And if the FBI have no powers there, then why the hell do they log the complaints? Statistics?

This discussion is over. I am waisting my time here as nothing constructive is coming out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:03 pm 

Yes, statistics and and in the end maybe a bit of leverage.

Until you get a grasp of what is really going on, you are wasting your time everywhere. If you really want to understand then start to read and ask constructive questions. There is a difference between what Nigeria can do, will do and must do. They can not enforce 419 and neither can the US. Should they put pressure on Nigeria when the scam coming from Russia is equally large?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 am 

[quote="Pennywise" I had said that this discussion was over. However, 419 was brought by the Nigerian gvt. What has that got to do with Russia? Btw, you should have mentionned Malaysia whilst you were at it. So No, I do not know what is going on and may be you can help me there.
According to the IC3 yearly report, scamming is on the increase year on year. That tells me that whatever is being done is not effective. Coming back to Nigeria and I stick to the Nigeria issue cos that is close to me, Nigeria has no motivation to inforce 419 as it brings $ to the country the same as drogg trafficing is beneficial to Columbia. How's that?
Russia? I have not clue, except that I spent some time in Moscow for my job and was told that if you have $ in your pocket you can buy anyone. Nice.
Look, you are very passionate about this and I respect that but so am I . I have been collating information for over 2 years. I do not pretend I know it all but I feel that with what I know, I can give something positive.
I did not throw myself cold turkey and I have worked on the WU case for many months. I have an advisor who is close to this as he founded his own internet crime center, he is an award winning journalist, a lawyer and politician. I asked him if the WU case could be won, his answer was that Juridiction was the issue but could be worked around. That is enough for me.
Just call me +49(germany) 81 33 907 747
Please note that I will not answer you on this post anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 am 

[quote="Dahlfi"]Hello, I want to apologise by the fact that your post got somewhat hidjacked. Can you give us an update on your friend situation?

many thanks
Dahlfi