ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I've been scamed..need help/advise
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:25 pm 

Hi, I have also been fallen into the victims list on the USPS money order scam. I never expected this in my life that money orders too can be counterfited until this happen. Here is the story..
I met a online chat friend , she said she is from Lousiana doing jewellery business. We were used chat often and she kind of became trusted friend.
Then last month she said that she was in nigeria for some business purpose and she needs some money urgently and asked me to cash money orders for her. So she send 4 money order $1K each and encashed it and send it to her. but after a week the bombshell came it my bank found that money orders were counterfit and they deducted $4k from my account and i was shocked and scared by seeing huge negative balance on my bank account. Then i found on internet about these scams and i tried to reach her but no reply from her till today and i hope it'll never be. fortunately i had managed to borrow some money from my friend and paid to the bank.
But i'm still worried that am i legally in trouble even though i haven't done anything illegal. Is there any chance that these people can be caught?
or Is it worth fighting out?

I's not about money, if you lose money you earn earn it again. But the embarresment, it's difficult to live with it. I know i have made a mistake and it's a lesson of my life.
But the heartbreaking part is why the banks are keeping a low profile about these scams atleast they can put a warning notice on each branch or maybe thru emails. I'm going to fight with my bank about this, if i had seen anything like that i would have never fell down as victim. But whatever happend is happend you can't change it back, atleast we can try and help others not to be victimised like me.

I wish and pray that no one will be victimised in future and we provide as much as help as we can to avoid these scam and alert everyone.

Take care..VJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:21 pm 

Here is what you are faced with in all honesty. The debt to the bank is paid, the bank doesnt care from here on out about the deal, they got their money back, they got what they wanted; however they probably also reported it to check systems who will blackball you.

NO the perpetrators cannot be caught in most of the cases.. Why? they are usually in a country like nigeria where we the US have no powers of detainment or arrest. Your case and loss was not high enough for the feds to even care to look at it.

Chalk this up to a lesson learned in trusting strangers. Warn your family and friends about the scams that are going on right now and keep hammering letters off to your senator and congressmen to get laws passed requiring banks to properly clear checks and post warnings of these scams at the teller windows. Get your family and friends to also fire off letters to the same tune, the more they get innendated with letters from angry citizens demanding changes in the laws the more they will stand up and take note.