ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to check legitamacy
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:40 pm 
i was sent a large money order (believed to be counterfit---see ebay scams) and after reading all the horror stories on the internet I just wnat to know what to do to verify if the money order is legitimite BEFORE i cash it and get slapped with fraud charges. Is there anyone i can contacct without runing the risk of being suspected to be in on the counterfiting?
any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:06 pm 

Call the originating place from where the order was drawn, tell them you suspect it to be counterfeit and wanted to check, or take it to local authorities, JUST DO NOT TRY TO CASH IT!!!

Post subject: write me!!
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:45 pm 

write me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:31 am 

take the following into the post office with you when you go to verify legitimacy of the money order.

1. Proof you were selling an item - The ad, the auction ending receipt etc.

2. The origional envelope the money order came in

3. The money order

4. Any information on the buyer that you have

If told that it is fake, then demand you be able to sign something to prove you did your due dilligence in having them looked at, and turned all evidence over to the post master or postal inspector willfully and without reservations. Make sure a receipt for every piece of evidence is given to you or dont leave until they give you one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:33 am 
i heard if you try and give it to the authorities (assuming it isthe polivce) not only do they tell you but they suspect that you made it and they alert the FBI ehich leads to searches of your house etc (since it is illeagle to even possess couunterfit MO). Furthermore, I live in billings Montana and the cops here are not legitimately trained in counterfit money orders because it is not realy an issure here.

I also heard this is the case if you give it to a bank official to check out BEFORE you and try and cash it. Also living in montana the bank official says it is legit, he may be wrong due to lack of training (which also leads to FBI hell in a few weeks after cahing it since the money order is shipped out of state and checked by people who are REALLY educated on this issue) and yes the bank official can be wrong because it has happened before in bigger cities then where i live.

so those options are out because i do not to deal with the FBI or go off of false information and get screwed with it later.

ps... DeAnna ---- i sent you a email

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:36 am 
It is NOT a POSTAL money order it is a REGULAR money order so i doubt the postal service can veriify it...correct me if i am wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:40 am 
if anyone is reading this and is wondering who i am in a fooly with...his "clients" shipping address is

NAME.....BISOLA OLUMEGBON
ADDRESS...405 SOUTH WATERVIEW
CITY......RICHARDSON DR
STATES....TAXES
ZIP CODE...75080
COUNTRY....USA

and he used the email infinity_john_smith003@yahoo.com to contact me

Post subject: pitmommy
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:42 pm 

go with your gut, if it smells like fish it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:20 am 
Hes a scammer. I can almost guarantee it. lots of scammers use yahoo, secondly they use the name smith.

Post subject: do not take to post office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:06 pm 

Kiddo...this is DeAnna...do not take it to the post office!!!!!! call your local post master...give them the #'s off of the bottom numbers!!!..i reported mine as counterfeit at the post office and they arrested me....do not..i repeat do not take them to the post office!!!!!
demand you speak to a post master.....or you will spend the night in jail possibly...very good chance!!!
only give the #"s over the phone..or they will charge u with attempt to cash..and......
God knows what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angel Hugs!
DeAnna!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:14 am 

help me wrote:
It is NOT a POSTAL money order it is a REGULAR money order so i doubt the postal service can veriify it...correct me if i am wrong

You can call the number on it and ask if it is valid. But just because it comes back as valid does not mean it is not stolen or "washed". It just means it's not fake. Look for fading. Also look what kind of pen it is written in. If it is written in marker type or felt tip it is more than like fake. felt tip pens are used to cover any markings that were left on it from the original writing.
Also look for tiny black dots(western union money orders). These dots pop up when the money order is exposed to chemicals.

Post subject: Re: how to check legitamacy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:19 pm 
bisola olumegbon is a good person is one of the scamers that is try to use is name as fraud