ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I almost got scammed.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm 

This was one on phoenix.craigslist.org, I received a check for 1455.75 and was told instructions to wire. Its a case pretty much similar to many others on this website, luckily i found this before i was enthused about cashing the check. Here are the instructions i received below.

We are glad to inform you that the payment have been sent to you. This is to let you know that your first Assignment shall commence today, also
i am taking opportunity to inform you that we are a very busy company and we are using this medium to let you know that you would enjoy your work with us as
we are ready to create impact to the Public in training the youth.
This is also a notification to you that your job starts today your application has been approved , We have an assignment for you for this week.
The company has issued out a payment to you for this week's assignment packet meaning that your weekly payment of $350.00 has been issued to you with some
funds which you will use in executing this Assignment. Read below for you Packet Data.

ASSIGNMENT INFORMATION'S :
Read and make sure you understand all that is stated below to avoid any mistake occurrence. You will receive a payment from our finance manager
today And this is your assignment.
The payment tracking number is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, You can track this for proof of delivery at http://www.ups.com
The Payment you will be Receiving today of about ($1,455.75) would be issued to cover the project bills for the your weekly wages and Assignment :-
Once you receive the payment today,you take the payment to your bank and have it cashed to enhance your assignment for today and then Deduct your
first week pay which is $350.00. You would be left with $1,105.75 which you will used for the below assignment.

Follow these instructions below.
1ST ASSIGNMENT :
Your first assignment is to go to any money gram location outlet closer to you to find out about their ways on their Trading/operation system.
As a secret shopper, You should pretend as if you were a client and want to send money and memorize all you see at the outlet. We want you to report
back to us with the following information's:
Procedure of attendance: -How many attendant(s) in the outlet: -
How many minutes it took for them to attend to you and process transfer:
IMPORTANT:- All this should be kept unknown from the cashier and a comprehensive report on every activity you carry out
As a secret shopper your job is to observe any thing unusual going on in the outlet. Make sure you observe everything you see in there because you
would be asked some other questions when you return. Also you cant just walk out of the outlet without any transaction.So thats why we sent you the funds to
make the transfer.
We want you to deduct your weekly payment of $350.00 and have the balance sent to the information provided below for proper preparation of our up
coming exhibition :
Pls Note, that there would be transfer charges($50) for sending through Money Gram, and this would be deducted from the total funds at hand ($1,105.75). An
amount of $1,055.75 will be transfer to our exhibition manager: Here is the information of our exhibition manager:
TRANSFER THE REST OF THE FUNDS THROUGH MONEY GRAM MONEY TRANSFER TO THE BELOW INFORMATION:

Name : XX
ADDRESS : XX
City : XXX
State : XX
ZIP CODE : XXXXX
Text Question: In God?
Text Answer: We Trust
Our Finance company has just established a new system which you might have never heard of and it is called Alert pay { Alertpay.com },And this
service is been Privately owned and established under our management since 2004 , With competitors we have a very low rating and few customers and we want to
develop and upgrade our service to the best and fullest. So we only need the report you provide so we can work on our service.
Make sure you don't go with a note cause if you are caught writing anything down, they would definitely suspect you are a secret shopper. Just
observe all you see and report back when you get back home. Your next assignment for next week would be visiting a museum, We would provide you with the
details and address and your payment for next week..
Also to further finalize this Assignment, you have to get back to us with the below money gram transfer information's for the money you sent to our
exhibition manager:
1. Senders Name and Address
2. 8 Digit Money Transfer REFERENCE # {MTCN}
3. The amount transferred after deducting western union charges.

All these would be give to you at Money Gram. This project Shouldn't take you more than one day to execute the Assignment and the time limit matters to us,
With that, we determine your efficiency in Hardworking and commitment you show in working with us And your next assignment begins by next-week. Do get back
to me with the Reports and Transfer informations.
Looking forward to work with you on this project. And remember to act to be a client who wants to send money so they would not detect you are a
secret shopper.
Expecting your reply IMMEDIATELY.
Best Wishes.

Sincerely,
Richard Williams

Yours sincerely
Mr. Richard Williams
mystery42009@yahoo.com
MASCOT Steels Co.

Now the real question is, if i have the information and address to wire the money is there any way maybe the government can step in and lets say help catch the person being wired the money? for example and agent who works in that location can monitor anyone receiving payment at the address through western union?

Post subject: Re: I almost got scammed.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

mister_g wrote:
Now the real question is, if i have the information and address to wire the money is there any way maybe the government can step in and lets say help catch the person being wired the money? for example and agent who works in that location can monitor anyone receiving payment at the address through western union?

It would have to be the government of that counrty, and I am guessing the wire was going to Nigeria, that would have to do something . . . and they don't want to stop a "business" that is bringing millions of dollars into their country each year. That is why education about these scams are the best way to fight them.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch