ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Secret Shopper SCAM WITH A NEW NAME! DON'T BE A VICTIM!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:38 pm 

I was so excited when I saw the ad on craigslist, I really was. I worked in retail for a long time and we had secret shoppers every month so I figured when I applied there was such thing, and I'd be ok.
I was wrong.
I got an email, I'll post below afterwards, from a James Johnson, telling me about all the secret shop information, then he sent another email with a tracking number and saying I should recieve a check in the mail FOR $2,860.00 and I could keep $600, $50 for transportation, $100 for the secret shop at walmart and $2110 to be sent in a money gram from western union to a place in australia.
I called my mom, luckily she had watched something on Judge Judy (haha) about a scam like this, so I looked up the bank, SunTrust Bank in Nashville, called them and asked them to check the account number. IT WAS A FAKE. It was from a Downunder Theatrical Productions, also fake.
The company name he used was :
SHANE ROBINSON
SECRET SHOPPER® INCORPORATION
4609 Collins Avenue
PO BOX 120921
St Louis, MO 63114

but it was sent from:

James Johnson
Hiring Manager
Miller Survey/Evaluator Consultant

This is such crap. There is no way to catch this person? I contacted the bank they are "using" and they just said it was a fake account number, and that was that. I'm sure he's using different names and scammed many people, but thanks to my mom, judge judy, and you guys on here I wasn't one of them.

here are two of the emails sent to me

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:04 AM
From: "James Johnson" <j_johnson127@hotmail.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: ..........@yahoo.com Message contains attachmentsEVALUATION INSTRUCTIONS.rtf (4KB)

Survey Agent,

How are you and hope everything is going smooth ?Your first package for evaluation have been sent is been scheduled to be delivered today via courier service UPS. Am sorry for the other tracking number i sent to you earlier, Here is the UPS tracking number; J206 645 858 0

You have to start your evaluation process immediately you receive the package, in the package you will find a payment of $2860 in form of check.You will use the fund to carry out your evaluation at Western union/Money Gram and the Wal-Mart store .

The evaluation Instruction has been attached to this email, make sure you read and understand all the instructions given to you in the evaluation instruction letter before you go out to evaluate the stores you choose.You have to evaluate the two store withing 72 hours after you have received the package .Your confirmation will be needed via email after you received package .

James Johnson
Hiring Manager
Miller Survey/Evaluator Consultant

and the first one he sent was this::

om: "James Johnson" <j_johnson127@hotmail.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: charleeenx@yahoo.comSECRET SHOPPER wants you to run a survey on two prominent companies in your area.
The 1st is a Western Union Location
The 2nd a Restaurant/Walmart
There has been reports about laps in the services of their Management and some of their staffs,the complaints were based on reports which their customers forwarded anonymously and Phone calls which were also made to the head office.The Western union location was reported for evaluation, Negligence for the following reasons:

I) Customers have reported their money missing
II) Slow services
III) Unbalanced transfer charges
The 2nd company was reported to be rendering
(I) Poor services
(II) Rudeness to customers
(III) Excess charge
(IV) Late opening time and Closing before time.

Your Secret Evaluation would be:

1) To make a transfer of funds from this western union location to our Mystery shopper, and the funds would be picked up by another mystery shopper at the exact location Which a customer reported her funds missing.
2) You would have to record the time at which you go to the location and how many minutes it took you to get service.
3) You would be sent a check/Money order which would cover your payment of $400 and also for the duty. As soon as you receive the check/money order, you would cash in at your bank, and deduct your $400.00, and use the rest of the money for the services.
4) Upon receiving the funds, the locations address would be forwarded to you, and also the Name and address of whom the Mystery shoppers
transfer would be made to. You would have to keep a comprehensive report on every activity you carry out.
5) You would also provide me with the name of the cashier that attended to you.Please, confirm to me that you did received this message so that the check/Money order can be sent out to you ASAP.

Kindly Fill Out the application form below and we will get back to you shortly with the assignment:
PERSONAL INFORMATION:
First Name.............................................
Middle Name.............................................
Last Name.............................................
Street Address .............................................
City, State, Zip Code .............................................
Cell Phone Number .............................................
Home Phone Number .............................................
Current Occupation......................................................

We await your urgent response.
Thank you for your help.
We look forward to working with you.
Sincerely,
SHANE ROBINSON
SECRET SHOPPER® INCORPORATION
4609 Collins Avenue
PO BOX 120921
St Louis, MO 63114