ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: MYSTERY SHOP SCAMMER!!!!! BEWARE - Global Evaluations
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:45 pm 

Also, he hasn't claimed to have sent a money order yet, but literally as soon as I read this forum, I sent him the following message, verbatim:

"Dear Mr. Adams,

I regret to inform you that I DECLINE to participate in this Mystery Shopper position. Please refrain from contacting me from this point forward. I am NOT interested, and will NOT participate in any activity you request of me henceforth. All mail/money transfers you send to me will be promptly turned over to the local police authorities and/or district attorney.

Again, it would be in your best interest to STOP all contact with me. I have no qualms about going to the police.

Thank you."

PLEASE let me know if you have any more advice -- what do I do if, after all this, this guy tries to contact me via cell phone or something? Or if he ends up sending the checks regardless of my request that he not do so. DO I go to the police? Or could I get busted just for being in possession of the checks if they are delivered to me?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:49 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

CaptainPants wrote:
PLEASE let me know if you have any more advice -- what do I do if, after all this, this guy tries to contact me via cell phone or something? Or if he ends up sending the checks regardless of my request that he not do so. DO I go to the police? Or could I get busted just for being in possession of the checks if they are delivered to me?

You could block his email address or phone number, that way he cannot but you again.

If he does send you checks, destroy them.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 pm 

Thank you all for your posts, I averted a financial loss. I have been in contact with this individual, Larry Adams. I was told I would be sent a check to be used so I would not have any out of pocket expenses. What a shock when the package was delivered with a check in the amount of $1,950.00 from a bank account from Citizens Bank of East Providence RI. The name on the check is Fisher College, 118 Beacon Street, Boston MA 02116. I plan on calling the bank in the morning to alert them. I lost no money but this jerk has my personal identifiable information.

Once I received the check, I emailed this Larry Adams them that I received the check (as I was instructed to do) I received the following email:

Hello,

Thanks for the response. Now you are to deduct your own money which is $150 as the pay for the survey, So you will also deduct $50 for the shopping and also send the rest of the money through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER as this is a part of survey. Kindly get this done today.

Thank You

Now what? My mistakes were again emailing this Adams person and sharing my personal information. At least I'm not out any money.

Everyone please be aware of these scams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 pm 

I replied to a Craigslist ad for a Secret Shopper service. The company was Tealunit and the name was Thomas Martins. The accepted my reply and offered me a job going to a Western Union location and wire money to another "secret shopper" in Washington D.C. I sent them an email saying it sounds too shady for me and count me out. The next day I received a USPS envelope with 2 $950 money orders and directions of where to send the cash. The money orders were USPS and I read that USPS money orders are the most trustworthy, so I figured that if the bank said they were good than I had nothing to loose. I did not deposit the checks, but I cashed them at my bank.. I'm sure they probably reference my account since I did slide my ATM card. I had second thoughts qbout it and never sent the cash... I told the scammer "nice try, I'm not sending the money", and they have not replied. I heard USPS money orders could take as long as a month to come back bounced. Is there a chance they won't notice it and I can keep the money? Should I notify the bank? Should I deposit the cash in my account in case the bank deducts it from my account automatically?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:06 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Quote:
Is there a chance they won't notice it and I can keep the money?

Nope . . . eventually they will find out. And, if you knowingly try to keep it and use it, you are commiting fraud.

Quote:
Should I notify the bank?

Yes . . . tell them you found out it is a scam and you do not want it to effect your account.

Quote:
Should I deposit the cash in my account in case the bank deducts it from my account automatically?

I would, otherwise they will deduct the amount until you do return the money, and who knows what checks you have written off of that account could end up bouncing.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:56 pm 

I just got the same thing after answering a survey job ad on craigslist - same company, Survey Job Evaluation Inc - they wanted me to do a shop for Walmart and transfer a check - I received a check in the mail, made out to someone else, not even to my name! To "Christine Mikesell." Shouldn't craigslist be aware of this scam?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm 

They are now going by this email address. mrlarryadams@aol.com. Below you will find the responce to my email. I hope this will help someone out.
Soory I could not post the ad as Craigs list had already flagged it.
Dear Applicant,

Heritage Mystery Evaluation Inc is a well established Evaluation Firm, We are a company that conduct surveys and evaluate other companies. We get hired to go to other peoples companies and act like customers in order to know how the staffs are handling their services in relation to their customers. once we have a contract to do,you would be directed to the company or outlet or restaurant, and you would be given the funds for the job (either purchase things or require services), after which you would write a comment on the staffs activities and give a detailed record of your experience.

Examples of details you would forward to us are:-

1) How long it took you to get services.
2) Smartness of the attendant
3)Customer service professionalism
4)Sometimes you might be required to upset the attendant, to see how they react to clients when they get tensed(under pressure).

We turn the information over to the company executives and they would carry out their own duties in improving there services. Most companies employ our assistance when people give complaints about their services, or when they feel there are needs for them to improve their customer service.Here is a chance for you to get a free shopping and dinner out,if you will like to be a Mystery Shoppers. You are to evaluate and give comment on customers services in different Stores,shops and restaurant in your area code . You will be paid to shop and dine out, you will also have access to free meals, Free Merchandise , Free services , free Travel, Free entertainment and lot more. Your Identity would be kept confidential as the job states (secret shopper) you would be paid $150 for every survey you carry out, and bonus on your transportation allowance, and funds would be given to you if you have to dine as part of the duty. Your job will be to evaluate and comment on customer service in a wide variety of shops, stores, restaurant and services in your area. No commitment is made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. If you are interested , you have to fill the list below so we can look at your distance from the locations which you have to put your service into,and your address would also be needed for your payments.

Requirements:-

You must be RELIABLE, detail-oriented, and write reasonably well, and have access to a computer with Microsoft Word and a reliable Internet connection, must be 19 years old and above , no experience needed .

Application info needed:-

First Name :
Middle Name :
Last Name :
Phone 1 :
Phone 2 :
Address 1:
Address 2:
City :
State ;
Zip Code :
Year of Birth :
Gender ;
Disability :

Thank you.
The Hiring Manager
Mr. Larry Adams

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:51 pm 

i almost was scammed too! thank god i decided to google the name of the company and found this site!
here is the email i received after i replied to a craigslist posting:

Good day,

Your application has been viewed by our customer service, and has been
approved. Through extensive background checks, your information has been
reviewed and processed. It is a pleasure to inform you that you have been
cleared to receive employment from our company.

Your first assignment would be to run a survey on a prominent company in
your area, which is a close Western Union Location , which would be
disclosed to you later on, the management and staff of western union has
reported a laps in the services of their Management and some of their
staffs.

Their complains were based on reports which their customers forwarded
anonymously and Phone calls which were also made to the head office.

The Western union location was reported for evaluation for the following
reasons.

I) Customers have reported their money missing
ii) Slow services
iii) Unbalanced exchange rate
(Iv) Poor services
(v) Rudeness to customers
(vi) Excess charge
(vii) Late opening time and Closing before time.

Your Secret Evaluation would be

1) To make a transfer of fund from this western union location to our
Mystery shopper in the us or anywhere we prescribe which would be given to
you, And the funds would be picked up by our based mystery shopper at the
exact location Which a customer reported her funds stolen from.

2) You would have to record the time at which you got to the location and
the duration of the transaction.You would be sent a check which would cover
your payment of $250.00 for the duty. As soon as you receive the check, you
would then cash at your bank, and deduct your $250.00, and use the rest of
the money for the services.

3) Upon receiving the funds, the locations address would be forwarded to
you, and also the Name and address of whom the Mystery shoppers transfer
would be made to. You would have to keep a comprehensive report on every
activity you carry out.
4) You would also provide me with the name of the cashier that attended to
you.

As a reminder:
Every activity of Mystery shoppers remains a secret between you and your
employees. As as the company reserves the right to every documentation and
information which you gather on behalf of the company.

Let me know if you are ready for this task, so that I can prepare the
cashier for this activity and get the check sent out to you ASAP, to cover
for the cost of the transfer and your commission.

A swift acknowledge of receipt of this email and your readiness to continue
with this job will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Thomas Martins
HR Manager
Tealunit Mystery service,Inc

what i was wondering is that, if i cashed the check(s) at a bank other than my own...would it come back to me? im not going to, but how could it harm me if i cashed the checks?

im glad i found this site...i am in need to extra cash and i thought this was too good to be true :(

Post subject: Re: MYSTERY SHOP SCAMMER!!!!! BEWARE-Heritage Mystery Evaluation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I am so glad I found this site!! Yesterday, while browsing through Craigslist I came across an ad entitled: A Competent Mystery Shopper Needed. I went back today to try and find it so I could paste it here but to no avail-surprise, surprise. In any event, the ad asked that you e-mail a resume to: harrysmith365@aol.com. From what I've been reading on this site, it appears the scammer may have changed his email address as previously mentioned above or this is just another e-mail address.

Unfortunately, I did e-mail my resume, which contained my name and phone number-not good (although anyone can essentially look you up and get that information anyway). In response to my e-mail, I just received an e-mail from "Mr. Smith" similar to ones previously posted on this site. The e-mail goes into detail as to how the company (Heritage Mystery Evaluation, Inc) works and what they need from me (i.e. applicant info). I have pasted Mr. Smith's e-mail below. At first I started to respond but when I realized I had to provide my address, my gut told me to google the name of the company. Once again, I'm glad I did. It's a shame how many scams are out there, but I am thankful that people care enough to warn others-all you need to do is research:). As they say, anytime someone asks you to wire money or asks for personal information such as social security number (and now your name, address and phone number) be very cautious. I've read some other posts on this site where people actually received checks and what not because according to the e-mail, the company needs your address to send payments. It occurred to me after reading those posts that giving out your address is very dangerous as it can be an open invitation for the scammer to pop up at your doorstep and harm you and your family. Aside from the legal ramifications of accepting/cashing checks don't lose sight of your personal safety when giving out your address.
I hope this information was helpful and once again I want to thank all the other people that took the time to post their personal experiences on this site.

**********************************************************************************
Dear Applicant,

Heritage Mystery Evaluation Inc is a well established Evaluation Firm, We are a company that conduct surveys and evaluate other companies. We get hired to go to other peoples companies and act like customers in order to know how the staffs are handling their services in relation to their customers. once we have a contract to do,you would be directed to the company or outlet or restaurant, and you would be given the funds for the job (either purchase things or require services), after which you would write a comment on the staffs activities and give a detailed record of your experience.

Examples of details you would forward to us are:-

1) How long it took you to get services.
2) Smartness of the attendant
3)Customer service professionalism
4)Sometimes you might be required to upset the attendant, to see how they react to clients when they get tensed(under pressure).

We turn the information over to the company executives and they would carry out their own duties in improving there services. Most companies employ our assistance when people give complaints about their services, or when they feel there are needs for them to improve their customer service.Here is a chance for you to get a free shopping and dinner out,if you will like to be a Mystery Shoppers. You are to evaluate and give comment on customers services in different Stores,shops and restaurant in your area code . You will be paid to shop and dine out, you will also have access to free meals, Free Merchandise , Free services , free Travel, Free entertainment and lot more. Your Identity would be kept confidential as the job states (secret shopper) you would be paid $150 for every survey you carry out, and bonus on your transportation allowance, and funds would be given to you if you have to dine as part of the duty. Your job will be to evaluate and comment on customer service in a wide variety of shops, stores, restaurant and services in your area. No commitment is made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. If you are interested , you have to fill the list below so we can look at your distance from the locations which you have to put your service into,and your address would also be needed for your payments.

Requirements:-

You must be RELIABLE, detail-oriented, and write reasonably well, and have access to a computer with Microsoft Word and a reliable Internet connection, must be 19 years old and above , no experience needed .

Application info needed:-

First Name :
Middle Name :
Last Name :
Phone 1 :
Phone 2 :
Address 1: (No P O Box)
Address 2: (No P O Box)
City :
State :
Zip Code :
Year of Birth :

Thank you.
The Hiring Manager
Mr. Harry Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:39 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

scammerssux wrote:
what i was wondering is that, if i cashed the check(s) at a bank other than my own...would it come back to me? im not going to, but how could it harm me if i cashed the checks?

If you tried to do this and were caught, you would be charged with trying to defraud a bank.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 pm 

I have been contact by teal unit inc. but not as a mystery shopper, but as a account receivable representative in Canada, which was posted on workopolis. This is the response from my resume.

Dear Applicant, We got your resume for the job of Accounts Receivable Position as posted on Workopolis. Our HR Managers have gone through your resume and you have been shortlisted as one of our candidate to be our Account Receivable Representative in Canada. We are currently seeking an accounts receivable representative in Canada for cash collection activity. We are a US base company looking to open a branch office in Canada . Your primary task as our accounts receivable pending the time we establish our branch office in your City is to coordinate payments from customers and help us with the payment process. Once orders are received and sorted we deliver the product to a customer. After this has been done the customer has to pay for the products but in most cases we make our clients prepay for orders or items they order for . About 90 percent of our customers prefer to pay through Certified Checks or Money Orders drawn from the United State based on the amount involved. We have decided to open this new contract -to-hire job position for solving this problem. Our company use this process to test our accounts receivable rep before you start working in our office as our Full time accounts receivable rep. Summary of your First Primary task(Collection of Payments): 1. Receive payment from our Customers or Clients.2. Cash Payment at your Bank or any cashing facilities near you.3. Deduct 10 % which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to our consultant, you will be contacted to send payment to, You'll have a lot of free time doing another job, because this job is part time, you'll get good income. We are considering your application because you satisfy our requirements and we are sure you will be an earnest assistant till we start running our branch office in your state. Get back to us with information below information for reconfirmation, so that we can add your mailing address to our Regional database and forward it to our customers for them to send payments. First Your response to this email is important , so that we can be sure you want to work for us and reconfirm your mailing address details we have in our database. We will be updating you as soon as the payment is being sent to your home address and you will be directed as to where to have the remaining 90% of the money sent to, you will be wiring the money through instant transfers( Western Union/Money Gram), note that your 10% does not cover the cost of wiring the funds, you will have to deduct the wiring fees from the remaining 90%. Thanks For Your Total Understanding. Best Regards,Teal unit inc Thomas Martins

Is this a scam or a accounts receivable position ??? Does someone know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

SCAM

red flags include

accounts receivable representative in Canada for cash collection activity.

Cash Payment at your Bank or any cashing facilities near you. (really?!?! why would you do this at YOUR bank, and not through the company's bank account?)

Deduct 10 % which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed (so instead of getting a paycheck from the company you are working for, you just deduct your pay from the money you are dealing with)

Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to our consultant, you will be contacted to send payment to . . . you will be wiring the money through instant transfers( Western Union/Money Gram)
I don't care what the situation is, if they send you a cashier's check or money order and then want you to wire any portion of that money IT IS A SCAM.

In about a week, your bank will contact you and tell you that the check is counterfeit and they will demand that you return the money . . . but since you already wired it you will not have it so they will deduct it from your bank account.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:20 am 

Here is another one: Hill Consultants, hillconsultants@live.com

Funds for the MoneyGram Evaluation will deliver to your address this morning by USPS. Follow the below instructions to complete the Evaluation.

1.1 Write your Name and Address on the Money Orders before cashing them at your bank.
1.2 Deduct your pay of $200 after cashing the Money Orders.
1.3 Deduct another $150 for transfer fees..

1.4 Locate a MoneyGram International Outlet near you to conduct the survey by patronizing their services, you are to appear as a potential customer making a MoneyGram transfer to a relative in CA. Below is the transfer information you need for the wire.

Transfer Amount : $2850
Receivers Name : Mark Anthony Bayya
Destination : 22638 Figueroa St. Carson CA 90745

Be sure to observe how long it took you to get services, Smartness of the attendant and Customer service professionalism during the transfer process and Under no circumstances should the MoneyGram Agents know this evaluation is being carried out on them.

Email me as soon as you make the transfer with the following information;
Reference #, Amount Sent, Name And Address Of Sender.

A questionnaire form regarding your overall experience with MoneyGram will be emailed to you after we receive the transfer information.

Thank you and get back to me as soon as the survey is completed today.

Your faithfully,
Charles Stanfield

I actually deposited the money orders yesterday (haven't spent any of the money). I got a niggling feeling in my stomach so I did some Googling and determined that it was a scam. I called my bank just now and they are going to see what they can do. I also sent an email reply saying that I would NOT be participating and that any future materials I received from them would be turned over to the police, and then created a filter that sends all future emails from them to the trash. (I use GMail so I can't block their address.) When I called the bank, the nice lady said "Oh yeah, we've been getting a lot of that lately, so don't feel bad." I'm embarrassed - I'm a smart person but am in dire need of money right now so I wanted it to be true. Hopefully, since I alerted my bank before anything really happened, I can emerge relatively unscathed. Does anyone have any more advice about next steps (other than "Listen to your gut")?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

KaraG wrote:
I'm embarrassed - I'm a smart person but am in dire need of money right now so I wanted it to be true.

Don't feel that way. The scam works because they understand that the check will not be detected as a fake until AFTER the bank releases the money to you. A recent survey of Americans showed that 59% of them believed that the bank verified the check before depositing the money into your account, so you are not alone . . . you are in the majority.

This is why education about scams and the check clearing process need to be stressed.

Quote:
Hopefully, since I alerted my bank before anything really happened, I can emerge relatively unscathed. Does anyone have any more advice about next steps (other than "Listen to your gut")?

Since you have reported it to the bank, and are not planning to wire or spend that money, you should be fine. Other things you can do it so help spread the word and educate others. If you are on any of the social networking sites you can connect with us (use the link in my signature to find our pages) , and then everyone YOU know will see the link. We also have the "Share" button on the top of all of the pages of our site . . . use this to share the information with others.

Education and awareness is the key to fighting these scams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 pm 

ok so i bought into this, but I am worried b/c I sent them not only my info like birthday and gender but a bad picture of my drivers license, the Id is not 100% clear but I still sent it. can they steal any of my info this way?? what should I do. I threw the check away as soon as I got it in the mail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next