There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:26 pm 

Hi!
I'm a new member to this forum. I've recently put my ipod nano up for sale on Craigslist. A woman by the name of Stacy Barbara wants to buy the ipod for MORE than the asking price, + she will pay the shipping and handling. Something didn't seem right, she requested we go by US money order, and I agreed.

I got the email from the USPS and the email address ended with @deliveryman.com. This didn't seem right, things weren't adding up (there were spelling errors from the USPS email). She asked that I send the ipod first, and then i'll receive the money order checks.

I told her that the ipod is no longer up for sale, and i would like to call off the deal. However, now I'm a little bit concerned, I gave them my Home Address along with postal Code. Could this potentially harm me? have there been cases in the past where they might actually go to the victims address and rob them?

I'm just a little bit concerned as this is my first time dealing with something like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:09 pm 

Good catch. The US Postal Service doesn't contact you by email when you have a money order coming and @deliverman.com sounds like one of those free domain names. You just sign up and pick @deliverman.com as the domain name you want for your emails.

Just stop all communications with them and you should be OK. They are likely thousands of miles away from you. While these people aren't to be taken lightly they are out to get money and if you refuse to go along there is nothing to gain for them and they will stop contacting you in time.

If they are really persistent tell them you have contacted the police. That usually scares them off. I assume they were planning to send you a fake USPS money order for more than the original amount then have you wire the remainder by Western Union or Moneygram. Later you will find out the money order was fake and you will be on the hook for the entire amount and loose the Ipod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:52 pm 

yeah, thats what I assumed.
The USPS email seemed fishy, so I called the deal off. Its a good thing I found this forum.

I wasn't 100% sure, it was my first time dealing with USPS (well, I technically still never DID deal with them :roll: ).

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:33 pm 

Just glad you caught it in time. Often people come here after they have lost money. It's always good to see someone catch it before doing that.

Forgot to add: My advice may seem to be different in other posts as to the dangers of dealing with these scams it's because in other cases people want to toy with the scammers. This is called "baiting" them. The purpose is to frustrate and anger them. They do have people in the US and Canada. Anger them sufficiently when they have personal info on you and there's a very slight chance one could end up at your door which is dangerous in the extreme. These scammers have been known to kill people.

In your case there's almost no risk involved. Scammers prefer steal from people thousands of miles away from a position of anonymity. They might harass you some and I wouldn't be surprised now they have your email address, if you start getting a bunch of other scam emails. Most likely the advance fee "419" type. You can either use an email filter, change your email address or do as I do and collect scam mails. Hey, some people collect coins others collect stamps, I collect scam emails. Some are quite amusing. :lol:

You might want to look around and see how some of the other scams work so you won't be caught up in one of those. Also if you want to see these guys get what's coming to them check out http://www.419eater.com/index.htm and read some of the things in the Letters Archive. Just make sure you aren't drinking anything when you do. It's bad on the keyboard. :D

Post subject: Here are is a link that I hope can help you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:52 pm 

Here is a website I have built for all sorts of subjects, but one page concentrates on crimes. Please take a look to see if it helps.
Everything in Life: Crimes