ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just got scammed - PLEASE READ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:54 am 

Hello, well I was selling a PS3 on an online classified ad here in Miami at miamiherald.com

I got a response from a guy with the following e-mail address: willy muddork <calebgallant4@yahoo.com>

Here are the first 2 e-mails he sent me:

Quote:
I am interested in immediate purchase of your item. are the itemin good working condition..? will you be accepting money order as a form of payment.? The item are they still in good condition and i want to know tyour final and asking price that you are selling before i proceed forward......?? please kindly email me some pictures of the item..........??\ Await your response.....?? Best regards Mr muddork

Quote:
Hello,

.i really appreciate it.?i am ready to pay you with a postal m oney order.i am not in living in miami.....?it is really nice to hear that the The Playstation 3 and Resistance are in good working condition..........?

Thanks so much for the quick response.The Money order that will be issued out to you will include the money for the sales of your item + the shipping cost and my commission like i said in my earlier mail . I would like to restate clearly that this item will be shipped to Spain and I have a shipping agent who would take good care of this.

You are to cash the Money order you will recieve and deduct the funds for the sales of your item and please have the excess funds sent to the shipping agent via Western Union Money Transfer at one of their outlets around you in order to schedule the pick up of the item.

All neccesary transfer papers will be dully signed by the shipper on behalf of my client when the shipping agents comes for the pick up of the item.

send me the receivers name and address including your mobile number so the shipper can contact you as soon as you get the payment.
Thank you so much for your understanding. hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Well I replied and asked that he pay $1,800 using Postal money orders since I believed them to be very, very safe.

He agreed to send the payment and additional money that i was to send to a shipper through western union once I cashed the money orders at my bank. We gave him my girlfriend's P.O. box to send to because we did not trust someone overseas with our home address. So, About 2 weeks later the money orders arrived, $950, $950, $950, $950. My girlfriend looked them over carefully and cashed them at the bank as she also did not think Postal money orders could be faked.

But, then I talked to people and they said it sounds fishy, so I looked online and found this site. The money orders had been in the bank about a week already.

We went to the bank 2 days ago to let them know we were suspicious about the money orders even though they had been in the bank over a week and still the money was available to us to use.(We did not use any though just incase).

Well, I did not send him the PS3 or the extra money by western union. However, just today after about 11 days in the bank, the money orders came back as fakes and our bank charged us $28 in fees for that.

What can we do to catch this guy? I have some information he gave me such as the contact info of where to send the extra money to "the shipper"
in Spain. Do you think we could catch him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:45 am 
Gold Member

Little chance of getting authorities interested in these scams, I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:56 pm 
no chance, you lost only 28 bucks, nobody will look at your case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:58 pm 

At least you didn't loose 1900 like me. Not with the money orders, but with money transfer. Thank your God whoever that may be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:20 pm 

Hello Guys, the guy sent me 4 new money orders for $950 each without telling me anything about them. He must think we are not on to him and that we are dumbe enough to cash these as well or I don't know what he thinks.

But, the person is now calling me on the phone to try to continue his scam.

I got his phone number on caller ID. What can I do with this? Is there a way to catch him do you think?

I tracked his phone number online and it is a cell phone in Mt. Pocono, PA here in the USA.

The name and address were not listed since its a cell phone. But, it told me the name of his cell company is Southwestern Bell Mobile which I think means cellular one.

What should I do with this information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:41 pm 
It means he is in Canada and is using a pay as you go cell phone.

Post subject: CONTACT THE POLICE AND FBI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:13 am 

don't take this lightly!

go to the moneygram consumer protection site listed at the bottom of my post

I work for walmart and have seen a lot of these fake money orders come through. Whatever story the customer comes in with, we check with Moneygram to see whether this moneyorder is in good standing. 100% of the time the money order was made out to a different date for a much smaller amount. Scammers are using old moneyorder numbers and the $850 amount to collect money- unsuccessfuly anyway since WE ARE INSTRUCTED TO CALL THE POLICE. *** YOU WILL BE ARRESTED IMMEDIATELY REGARDLESS OF WHAT SITUATION YOU ARE IN!*** whether you are aware of it or not you are involved in the scam directly by transporting money!

I strongly advice ALL victims to contact their local police AS SOON AS they get a money order for this amount with money order stub or complete money order- if not, you'll be arrested like many of the victims on this site who complain about their situation.

I somewhat feel sympathetic for the victims but not really. Victims- you will not get money for free! if someone tells you that they will give you a cut. percentage or set amount from the amount they're expecting call the police and send them all your evidence! do not try to cash any money orders from them~!

ONE DEFINITE RED FLAG is anything dealing with nigeria!

I have learned from customers being scammed that the people " from nigeria" are picking up money from different countries.

DO NOT CONTINUE ON WITH CASHING SUSPICIOUS MONEY ORDERS

believe me! you are not helping ANYONE out- you dont' have any relatives of any kind living in some other country that just died and gave you a huge inheritance- that woman you are talking to is not some poor mother trying to cash a check that she is not able to- and you are not going to get any amount of money from some large amount a person claims!

DONT BE STUPID!

for more information to protect yourself from these types of scams and any scams involving MONEYGRAM go to this website! Educate yourself and protect yourself!

http://www.moneygram.com/ConsumerProtec ... C=US&LC=EN

Post subject: we just got emails from this guy too
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:45 pm 

my boyfriend and I run a wedding photography and coordinator business here in Key West. We recieved an email from this guy this morning on our photography email about shooting his wedding in NY. The english was terrible and there wasn't a whole lot of information but we responded anyway. I sent a second email soon after asking how he heard about us. This afternoon he replied to the first email saying how he needed the information immediatly and our address to send us the deposit. No reply as to how he heard about us. I googled his email and this forum came up. We decided to mess with this guy a little more and email him back asking for specific details on the wedding and how we only accept money via PayPal just to see how far it could go.

We're not quite sure what he hopes to get out of this. How do you scam someone out of town for services? it's not like he's actually getting married and we'll show up and take all these photos and magically realize we didn't get paid.

Thank you to the person who posted about this guy. We really appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: we just got emails from this guy too
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:37 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

HannahKeyWest wrote:
We're not quite sure what he hopes to get out of this. How do you scam someone out of town for services? it's not like he's actually getting married and we'll show up and take all these photos and magically realize we didn't get paid.

My guess is that he will ask to send you a cashier's check or money order as a deposit to book you for his "wedding", then once you have the check something will "suddenly" come up and the wedding will be canceled (my first guess, the bride to be is dying) . . . anyway, he will then ask for you to return the money from the check/money order to him since there will be no wedding. A few weeks later when the bank finds out that they were counterfeit YOU would be the one out the money.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: ooooooh
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 pm 

we had NOT thought of that! I'm laughing so hard over right now. Well it's a good thing we already know about this and we already said we don't accept those forms of payment. Considering how poorly this person writes his emails and can't even play along well enough to convince us this is real, I wonder if he's really smart enough to come up the same idea as you.

Post subject: Re: ooooooh
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

HannahKeyWest wrote:
Considering how poorly this person writes his emails and can't even play along well enough to convince us this is real, I wonder if he's really smart enough to come up the same idea as you.

I have been watching these scams "evolve" since I became a victim in 2002, and they usually run the same way . . . the only thing that changes is the item or service that they are contacting a person about . . . we got hit selling a classic car, and at that time there were a LOT of people becoming victim who were also selling classic/used cars. As we worked with the websites that advertise the cars for sale to get warning out there we started to see a "shift" . . . the scammers started hitting site were people were selling instruments and musical equiptment, then animals (horses and prize winning dogs) . . . then we started seeing the Roommate scams in which they would "back out of the deal" and request that the money be sent back to them because of a death in the family, and I am guessing that the wedding service offer is just the next logical evolution of this scam. Once enough media and internet attention gets out there to warn people about one scam, they change it just enough to attract a new wave of people.

I even saw a email from a scammer where they contacted the person about a horse for sale, and then in the second email the scammer kept talking about the car for sale . . . he was using the old "script" from the car scam and forgot to change the word car to horse! :lol:
This is what tipped off the potential victim and is how they found our site.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Re: ooooooh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:45 am 

HannahKeyWest wrote:
I wonder if he's really smart enough to come up the same idea as you.

He doesn't have to be. He's likely just a lad sitting in an internet cafe in Nigeria or Benin or (Place name of country that is known for scams here). He has a script to use which he probably just cuts and pastes from. When he feels he is close to getting money out of you he will report it to his boss who will arrange for the money transfer and pick up the money at WU.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]