ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Money Gram money order sent from new york
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:05 pm 

My case is very awkward, i was sent 8 money gram money orders all exactly 915.30. Now the address is listed as 310 k st ne washington dc. The persons name was Vivian Sims and Xavior Sims, so i called and she said there real and everything a person i never met before or heard of... so i went to my amscott because 7 grand i was suspicious but im middle class, and wanted to get my life on track. Well amscott called corporate and she also called money gram and said i had bad news that they were counterfeit and they believe that we were victims. so they let it go. The envelope mailed that contained these was from Jenny Cole at 190 pond way staten island new york. These are two names i never heard of and i dont know what to do. my name is on these and my address is on the envelope. what should i do, please im not in trouble with anybody because amscott said i was too stupid to pull this off. the fonts on the money orders were wrong according to amscott. thankyou for reading this
the 411.com stated this about the vivian sims

Sims, Vivian
310 K St NE, Apt A
Washington, DC 20002-3595
202) 544-7590

Post subject: forget it or not?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:23 pm 

should i forget about it or talk with local pd and open that can of worms. i hear about victims getting arrested now im confused and scarred im 22 and a father/husband. i dont want to go to jail............ please help im lost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 am 

If you are in possesion of ALL of the checks and you have not cashed or deposited any of them into a bank account then you're OK. You can just distroy them and forget about them. If the scammers contact you asking about the checks, tell them the bank told you they are conterfeit and you cannot cash them and then cease all contact with them.

Post subject: Re: forget it or not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:13 am 
Gold Member

viper34787 wrote:
should i forget about it or talk with local pd and open that can of worms. i hear about victims getting arrested now im confused and scarred im 22 and a father/husband. i dont want to go to jail............ please help im lost

You don't have to worry about jail since you did not cash any of the money orders so you did not commit any crime. If you have them destroy them like the previous poster said and if your bank kept them then call it a day and count your blessings that you are not out of any money.

Post subject: what i did
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:07 pm 

Well i did the intelligent thing i called money gram and they put a stop on all 8 of them and they alerted fbi and they told me to destroy them. so in the end nobody else will worry at least about them 8. but millions more are done each day.

Post subject: Re: what i did
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:38 am 
Gold Member

viper34787 wrote:
Well i did the intelligent thing i called money gram and they put a stop on all 8 of them and they alerted fbi and they told me to destroy them. so in the end nobody else will worry at least about them 8. but millions more are done each day.

They were counterfeit, there was no way for MoneyGram to put a "stop payment" on a counterfeit item.

In reality they were just recycled numbers on your moneygrams, the originals had been cashed at an earlier time.

Just clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm 
Gold Member

reverse wrote:
viper34787 wrote:

They were counterfeit, there was no way for MoneyGram to put a "stop payment" on a counterfeit item.

In reality they were just recycled numbers on your moneygrams, the originals had been cashed at an earlier time.

Just clarification.

I have had some come back stamped stop payment and under that they where stamped counterfeit so I think there is a way to put a stop payment on them, but not sure what good it does.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:36 pm 
Gold Member

russellj84 wrote:
reverse wrote:
viper34787 wrote:

Just clarification.

I have had some come back stamped stop payment and under that they where stamped counterfeit so I think there is a way to put a stop payment on them, but not sure what good it does.

If you have a counterfeit item, you would not pay it anyway, why put a stop payment on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:32 pm 

Quote:
If you have a counterfeit item, you would not pay it anyway, why put a stop payment on it?

When I turned mine in they also put a stop payment on them giving me the reason that there may be more out there with the same numbers???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:28 pm 
Gold Member

reverse wrote:
russellj84 wrote:
reverse wrote:
viper34787 wrote:

Just clarification.

I have no idea that's just how they got returned to where I work. Maybe it is because it is a recycled number but that doesn't stop others from getting ripped off in the mean time so it seems pretty trivial and pointless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:21 am 
Gold Member

Many counterfeits from financial institutions are returned "Refer to Maker" this does not give the consumer or the other institutions a fair amount of information that the item is indeed counterfeit. A check can be returned for any reason that the institution deems reasonable and how they mark the item is also in their discretion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 pm 

One of our aims, over at (shameless plug time) http://www.fakemoneyorders.com, is to collect lists of known fake money orders.
The list then becomes a database for people to search.
If the number matches one on the database then you can be sure it is a fake.
I recently received 3 for $650 each and had no way of checking validity. Being a trusting type, I went along with the proposed purchase from an online sale. All went sour, I nearly got fleeced and so set the site up.

If we could have entered such details and those of the 8 orders you received, then all the worry could have been stopped.
That's the aim :)
Better yet, get the money order printers to have a bold red line with the database on it !
Makes ya wonder why on earth such measures aren't in place already.

I'm glad you didn't suffer the consequences of an inept bank. A story I read recently had the bank manager state everything was OK and fine, only for the orders to bounce!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:08 am 
Gold Member

AuntySpam wrote:
One of our aims, over at (shameless plug time) http://www.fakemoneyorders.com, is to collect lists of known fake money orders.
The list then becomes a database for people to search.
If the number matches one on the database then you can be sure it is a fake.
I recently received 3 for $650 each and had no way of checking validity. Being a trusting type, I went along with the proposed purchase from an online sale. All went sour, I nearly got fleeced and so set the site up.

If we could have entered such details and those of the 8 orders you received, then all the worry could have been stopped.
That's the aim :)
Better yet, get the money order printers to have a bold red line with the database on it !
Makes ya wonder why on earth such measures aren't in place already.

I'm glad you didn't suffer the consequences of an inept bank. A story I read recently had the bank manager state everything was OK and fine, only for the orders to bounce!

There are verification numbers out there