ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: glad i kept digging
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:58 pm 

Long story short, met a seemingly nice "lady" on the internet and chatted for a while. Then she asks me to do her a favor and next thing I know I receive 5 postal money orders for $950 each. They were sent to me from some address in California and were made out by someone in Brooklyn, NY. I had never heard of either one of these people. I tried to look up the company on the return address, no luck. I searched the street addresses and nothing again. Needless to say I was skeptical to start with and now I am sure something is up. I did all kinds of money order searches and finally came to this one and did I read a lot of similar stories. Fortunately for me I did nothing with them and have not been in contact with the "lady" again.
Oh yes, today I get a note in the mail from someone else I have never heard of that says when to email this person as soon as i receive the cheque (their spelling). What the heck is up with this?
And yes, the money orders were numbered consecutively. Email me if the names will be useful for somebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:28 pm 
Gold Member

'cheque' is the British English way of spelling 'check'.
Looks like you scammer is based in Britain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 pm 
maninthestreet wrote:
'cheque' is the British English way of spelling 'check'.
Looks like you scammer is based in Britain.

much of Africa still use the Queen's English

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:06 pm 

"Lady" said she lived in the Republic of Benin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:48 pm 
hawk64 wrote:
"Lady" said she lived in the Republic of Benin.

West Africa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:46 pm 

Just got 4 750$ MO from Benin... Now what? Do i destroy them? do i give them to police? A lady wants to buy my 2 chair for 1500$, then she want me to give the extra 1500$ to a shipping company with a yahoo e-mail adress... :)

Those scammer looks like they are very stooopid.

Post subject: WHY I HAVE TO CHANGE BANKS LIKE ITS MY FAULT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:39 pm 

I deposited like 6 money orders in my bank I know these money orders came while i was out of town FED EX next day mail. Well We were told they were going to be put on hold OK fine but now my account is being closed and i can no longer bank there.I thought it was kind of funny a money order didnt not go straight threw since they usually post it as cash.
Im mostly upset that I have to change banks due to this.Not to mention i had 43.00 in the bank prior to the deposit and they took that and put it on hold too even though i did not with draw anything or was attempting to untill these money orders cleared. They arrived with no note.I called fed ex to see who sent it more than likely and assumed name and address.
a Lauren Gidman but i noticed on the fed ex slip wich was barely legable after they took off the carbon copy a different address in san fran,ca 380 hwy 47 but the addy fed ex had was 1523 livingston st ,CA

Post subject: Re: WHY I HAVE TO CHANGE BANKS LIKE ITS MY FAULT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:11 pm 
akashaheart wrote:
I deposited like 6 money orders in my bank I know these money orders came while i was out of town FED EX next day mail. Well We were told they were going to be put on hold OK fine but now my account is being closed and i can no longer bank there.I thought it was kind of funny a money order didnt not go straight threw since they usually post it as cash.
Im mostly upset that I have to change banks due to this.Not to mention i had 43.00 in the bank prior to the deposit and they took that and put it on hold too even though i did not with draw anything or was attempting to untill these money orders cleared. They arrived with no note.I called fed ex to see who sent it more than likely and assumed name and address.
a Lauren Gidman but i noticed on the fed ex slip wich was barely legable after they took off the carbon copy a different address in san fran,ca 380 hwy 47 but the addy fed ex had was 1523 livingston st ,CA

They charged you a return item fee, that is why you no longer have your 43 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:29 pm 

i guess i better be glad i didnt have more money in the account or wrote a check to the pharmasist. Just annoyed i have to hunt for another good bank and cancel my direct deposit and auto payments on some things.What I dont understand is why don't they educate the teller on fake money orders would have save the bank risk management and me alot of grief

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:47 pm 
akashaheart wrote:
i guess i better be glad i didnt have more money in the account or wrote a check to the pharmasist. Just annoyed i have to hunt for another good bank and cancel my direct deposit and auto payments on some things.What I dont understand is why don't they educate the teller on fake money orders would have save the bank risk management and me alot of grief

If you would have mentioned to the teller that you received them in the mail and you had no idea what they were for, he or she would have escalated the situation to their Security area and they would have verified the items. The bank relies on the customers to tell them the circumstances, if they are unusual, so they can react accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:08 pm 

i assumed they were a partial payment for a settlement i have. On the fedex packing slip it was hard to read but I know better now. I guess on my ebay account since i do not trust money orders anymore if i want to sell something Ill only accept paypal payments . The last thing i thought was ok this might be fake since i saw it was a walmart money order But it should have dawned on me if they can make fake money they can do anything I just wasnt expecting it due to I dont even read those email scams anymore and i never replied to any.Im just wondering who da heck sent ti and spelt my name correctly.Most people spell my name wrong so thats what made me think it was legit