ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice ASAP
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:55 pm 

You don't know how close I was to being scammed today. I was actually at the Western Union office and the clerk had started the transaction when I stopped it to do some further investigation. Boy am I ecstatic that I did. My problem is that I have already deposited the money orders (I even asked the teller if there was any way it would come back to me and she told me no, that she had checked them out closely and they looked real) this afternoon. What I was wondering is if I should go in first thing Monday morning and try to get them back (or is it already too late) being that it was deposited on a Saturday? I would like to take them to the post office to get the official word. What sent red flags up for me is, why is this person sending me the shipping charges (that I was supposed to Western Union to the 'shipper') and why is the shipper in France, not to mention how it all had to be done TODAY (which she probably mentioned no less than five times)? Of course there were other signs and after discovering this site it all fits exactly. Also, as far as the scammer is concerned I am still on the hook. They think I will be emailing them back with the W. Union #. Is there anyone I can contact with the info who could help me catch the person who goes to the W union office for the 'shipping fees'? My mind is racing with thoughts but I would prefer to get the advice of someone more knowledgeable so that I do the right things.
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:30 am 

It is great that you did not send that money. I believe that you should return to the bank and redeposit the money that you have gotten in cash from the money orders. I don't think you can get them back. You should explain to your bank manager that you believe that you received those money orders in an internet scam and have them put a hold on the money so that when the money orders come back the money will be there for them to take from the account, which they will. Take all the information that you have showing the scam to them. I believe that in doing this you will not be seen as someone trying to scam the bank but as the victim that you are in this matter. It is almost impossible to have the person arrested since they are most likely no one near where they claim to be. Money sent Western Union can be picked up anywhere in the world not just the place where you specify on the form. So it would be impossible to have someone watching especially since you did not send the money there will be no tracking number. Good luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:38 am 
Redosit the money, you will get a small charge (5 bucks or so) for a return deposit. Let the bank know what has happened. No harm no foul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:51 pm 

I've already depsited the money back but what do I tell the buyer? Should I tell her the bank has placed a 10 day hold on the money orders or just ignore her? Thank you for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:13 pm 
Who confirmed you money orders were bad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:37 pm 

That's one of the issues I mentioned above. Nobody has yet confirmed it and that is why I wanted to try to get them back from the bank tomorrow morning, to verify it with the postal service. I'll list the red flags that lead me to believe that they are fake:
The item she wants to purchase takes extra special care in shipping and when I asked for details on how it would be done she was evasive and told me not to worry about it, it would be done safely. The money orders are US postal service (which I thought could only be purchased in the US) not international. The name on the money order is different than the one she has given me, with an address in Texas yet the envelope it was sent in came through royal mail with no return address. It was sent the day after she made contact. How did she get US postal money orders and send them out royal mail that quickly? She was adamant about wiring the money to the 'shipping company' TODAY, and she wanted me to use a test question and answer (which apparently allows the receiver to pick up the money without ID). There are a few other things that take a little more explaining but I think these are sufficient enough. What do you think?
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:24 pm 
I am sure they are bad, your bank should be able to produce am image of the money orders. Get that, if they are in numerical order they are bad, or if you want to post the serial numbers here, I can tell you if they are bad by the serial numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:37 am 
Gold Member

Tell the 'buyer' that WU refused the transaction on the the basis that the name of the person the money was being sent to was flagged on their system as being associated with receiving fraudulent transactions, and as a result the transaction was blocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:12 pm 

I went to the bank this morning and talked with the manager. The deposit had already left but as long as the money was in my account there shouldn't be any problems. He said he was going to make a note on my account. I called the FTC and reported it and they called it the Nigerian money order scam. They just took the info and said not to accept any more phone calls or emails from this person. I guess this is why it is so popular because there is no way that they can get in trouble. Is there any one else I should contact? USPS? Local police? or just let it go and be greatful I'm not out anymore than maybe the returned check fees? Thanks for all the help