ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help scared and confused
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:02 pm 

My husband and I sold a vehicle and recieved money gram money orders. We took them to a money mart where they were verified and cashed. The guy asked us to send some of the money on to his shipper, which we did. We got a call three weeks later from money mart, stating that they were going to have my husband arrested for counterfieting. I have saved all the info from this transaction, I told money mart this. I proved to them that we were innocent. They are still calling and threating. We went to the Police and they said there is not much they can as it was an internet scam. I don't know were we stand in all of this. We did not keep all the money, do we have to pay the amount we took back to the money mart. No one seems to be able to answer any of my questions. The way I see it is, Money mart bought those money orders off of us (they charged us a fee to do the transaction) there for they are the responsiblity of money mart. They told us they were good. We stood there and listened to th conversation they had with Moneygram. I am just really confused about this. Any guidence from anyone would greatly be apperciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:55 pm 
The called Moneygram while you were standing there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:25 pm 

Yes they called. as a matter of fact the first time my husband went into money mart, they could not get a hold of moneygram cause they had closed for the day. Money mart took a photocopy of the moneygram and said that once it was validated they would let us know. The other moneygram that my husband cashed, we were standing right there as money mart talked to moneygram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:41 pm 
Do you have a copy of the money grams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 pm 

we have the money gram numbers but no copies. we also have a receipt showing that money mart cashed them for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:06 pm 
go to http://www.moneygram.com go to customer service then consumer or something like that. There will be an 800 number call that number it is automated, it will tell you when your money orders were cashed, if they were cashed before you took them to the check casher it will prove they never called. It might be a point of contention for you, but they are still going to say you are responsible. It will give you something to fight with.Look at the website and call now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:51 am 

My husband called the 1-800 and talk to someone there. They told him when money mart phoned the numbers on the money orders were good. They said that what they think happened is that someone stole them and then never reported the numbers. After three weeks if the numbers are not entered in to there system they become void. That was all moneygram told us. They said that they were not responsible for it and that it will come down between money mart and us. I just don't understand how it would be our fault. We were told they were good. Moneygram was not much help on that end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:30 pm 
If you listen to the automated message on Moneygram's phone number they specifically say, "The money is good at this time, we accept no responsibility, make sure you can recover any loss from the presenter of the money order".

It is not looking good for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:58 pm 

The lady at money mart talked to a person at moneygram. They had a conversation while she read the numbers and confirmed them. Another thing that really bothered me about this was Money Mart phoned my husband at work and threaten, slandered and accused us of all sorts of things. John (who is from Money Mart) would phone our house up to 8 times a day. His exact words were to my husband, YOU ARE GOING TO THE CROW BAR HOTEL, YOU ARE A F------ LIAR, THE COPS WILL BE COMING FOR YOU, HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID ECT They bought them off of us I guess Iam grasping at straws and hoping that the problem falls on Money Mart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:42 pm 
They did not "buy them from you" you presented them, and they cashed them. I am sure they have signage at their location that says anything you present that is returned is your responsibility.

Sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:55 pm 

they charged us a fee for cashing them and there was no visible sign at the store. what i got told by a lawyer is when they charge a fee they are buying them from you. you do not get all the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:20 pm 
ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:42 am 

queek wrote:
they charged us a fee for cashing them and there was no visible sign at the store. what i got told by a lawyer is when they charge a fee they are buying them from you. you do not get all the money.

Sorry to say, it sounds like the "lawyer" that told you that is on crack. You can bet that there was at least a disclaimer (that's the thing in tiny print that no one reads) on the form you filled out that states that you are responsible if the check or money order comes back bounced or fraudulent. A check-cashing business without it would go under in less than a week, as they have NO way to confirm that a check or money order is legit in the 5 minutes it takes for you to get your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:37 pm 
slayerfaith wrote:
queek wrote:

Sorry to say, it sounds like the "lawyer" that told you that is on crack. You can bet that there was at least a disclaimer (that's the thing in tiny print that no one reads) on the form you filled out that states that you are responsible if the check or money order comes back bounced or fraudulent. A check-cashing business without it would go under in less than a week, as they have NO way to confirm that a check or money order is legit in the 5 minutes it takes for you to get your money.

Wow you sound as if you know what you are talking about.......BRAVO!