ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: can Bank of America do this to me?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:39 pm 

I opened a new bank account with Bank of America about three months ago after a scammer asked me to use them to deposit his (fake) money orders, after I opened my account and before I found out it was a scam I was pretty excited about the idea that I could make money doing pretty much nothing so I went out to find more oppotunities like it and found a couple to work with. Anyway, I tried to deposit the first set of money orders and luckily they didn't go through so I investigated more and found out about all the scam so I decided to stop. Becasue I was working with a few scammers, I still recieved some money orders but never tried to cash them after that one time. A few weeks later I was trying to use my debit card and it declined. I panicked after I went online and saw that my account had been closed. I called customer service and they gave me another number to call, I called that number and they told me that BofA closed my account but she couldn't tell me why and gave me another number to call, I called and got the voicemail of a BofA fraud investigation agent and I panicked. I finally got a hold of this woman, Amy, and she told me that BofA recieved a "tip" that I was trying to deposit counterfeit checks so they closed my account and would be holding the money in my account until they could determine if caused a loss to them, but they had already reported me to chex systems for fraud, and no matter the outcome of their "investigation" I would still be in chex systems. She made me feel like a criminal even after I told her my story.This was a month ago, and I have not heard back from anyone. I've left voicemails, but they haven't been answered. There obviously hasn't been a loss to BofA because I never deposited the money orders.

I'm eighteen years old, and two days before my account was closed I wrote my first two checks, which bounced. I had almost $2,000 in my account, it doesn't seem like a lot to others but I'm in college, I'm living on my own and that $2,000 means a lot to me right now and I would like to get it back ASAP.

So basically, what I want to know is can thay actually take my money? And can I do something to get it back? And is there a way I can get my name off of chex systems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I think that you need to speak with a lawyer.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: know how you feel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:22 am 

i pretty much just had the same exact thing happen to me if it makes you feel any better. i got four money orders for 470$ each and i deposited all of them to my wamu checking account. i wired the money to nigeria or somewhere and then a few days later on my lunch hour i was getting food and my card was declined and i was like whhhatt? so i got online and checked out my account annd i was overdrafted like 1900 something dollars. im not in college but i work and i have credit card bills and i have a car payment and im nineteen years old, theres no way i can fix this on my own. All of the checks were counterfeit and i got screwed. made me wanna kill the guy. :(

Post subject: helpful links
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:34 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Please go to this link:

http://www.fraudaid.com/check_liability.htm

If you are facing criminal charges due to this please go the the following links:

http://www.fraudaid.com/miranda.htm

and

http://www.fraudaid.com/professional_services.htm

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

Post subject: Bank of America and getting a new account... Someday
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:16 pm 

:x
Hello Miaaim, I too used to have an account with BoA and I had gone as far as to inform them of what I do, and that is act as a scambaiter, where I get scammers to'hire' me as a payment rep and then send me their dodgy checks or Money orders. Well I had BoA's blessings on doing this until the day that the branch manager at my local branch (were I opened this account many years ago)learned what I was doing and she had my account frozen and placed an overdraft in the amount of now are you ready for this $ 888,888.00. After fighting the bank system for over four months they finally closed my account and immediately sent me a collection notice for the amount of $204 and change. So yes BoA can do just about anything they want without regard for the damages it creates others. :? :?

And to think I am doing something of good for my fellow man by getting these scumbags to ' use my services as their payments Representitive'. As for the bank holding your funds as they are be advised that they can only hold that money for a period equal to one complete banking statement cycle, and not one day longer. So if you have a 31 day bank statement cycle you had better receive a certified cashier's check on the first day of your second statement cycle or on the 32 day providing it does not fall on a weekend day or holiday. :evil:

Let this be a warning to anybody that has a bank account with Bank of America they can and will ruin your day and most likely the next five years of your life when they report you to the Telechex System for attempted fraudulent check cashing wheither you actually cash a check or not. Oh and by the way I said the next five years, well that is how long it will take for Telechex System to give you a favorable report when you apply for a new checking and or savings account. Seems like a fair way to do business doesn't it. Ya right... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:38 am 
Gold Member

Why would you inform BOA you were soliciting counterfeit items from scammers?

You never tried to deposit any checks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:33 am 

:evil:

First lets clearify something, I have never solicited any lads for the purpose of money laundering, dodgy checks or any of the other types of scams they run.

Now with that being said hopefully I can clear up the reason for me informing BoA of my honest intentions, it was in response to the questioning by the branch manager at my local branch. There is a little more info that should be explained so you will be able to comprehend the full scope of what BoA has done to me and to the account I once had with them.

After I was questioned by the branch manager, concerning two CASH wire transfers ($2785.00 EACH) to my account by a business who's name I shall not mention here and now, she contacted some accounts division whom then went and placed a negitive balance in the amount of -$888,888.00 hand to god. I was unable to make any deposits to this account with regards to my life insurance policies, so naturally the monthly payments went against insuficent funds, I lost my life insurance policies that I have been paying towards for many years (really fair to my wife if I should pass away tomorrow isn't it) hence we come to the final amended amount of $204 and change that was sent off to Telechex Systems under my good name. Which now leaves me without any bank wanting to service my monies for at least the next five years. Also did I mention that this was also forwarded to the three major credit reporting agencies, my credit is in ruins.

This was the very first time I was contacted by these type of people, and yes I was niave to how it worked and to what I was getting involved in. But after being contacted by a scambaiter that warned me to what I was doing I joined http://www.scambaits.org and have learned how to as safely as possible to bait these people, waste their time and get them to send me their dodgy checks so I can turn them over to the appropriate authorities or agencies.

So please Reverse do not judge me as being ignorant for giving this financial institute the info that they had asked for. I merely thought after the branch managers briefing me to what I was involved in, that I was just trying to save my skin and not go to jail for being an accesory to or after the facts.

I only posted my story here to help educate others so they do not have to learn the same way I did and to help get the word out that BoA is friendly to the scammers and will not help the victims. Let me ask you one question, have you read any story from a victim that claims to have been protected (helped) by BoA from a scammer or a scam? Well I'm waiting, have you? All the stories I have read are the horror stories were BoA has allowed the good people to be victimized. If only BoA would change their policies then it would make it that much harder for the scammers to victimize good people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:04 pm 
Gold Member

Were the two wire transfers for $2875 each, fraudulent?

Just trying to understand what happened, not making generalizations about you or what you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:01 pm 

No the two CASH wire transfer were not fraudulent, the transfers were CASH MONEY transfered by means of a bank wire transfers to my checking account. That is why I associated them with money laundering. Also as I stated in an earlier post I was niave to what was happening, that is why I had sent the funds on to the person that I was to send it to. And as I have stated I do not do this type of scambaiting any more because regardless of my position in the laundering I will still be judged guilty. Hence I only now scambait Lads for dodgy checks ( counterfeit Money Orders ). And I have a lot of fun at recovering these fake checks. I particularly like all the attention i get from them after they realize that they will not get any money from me. The Lads like to threaten me that the FBI are looking for me because I am stealing their money. hahahehe :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:51 am 
Gold Member

strate820 wrote:

No the two CASH wire transfer were not fraudulent, the transfers were CASH MONEY transfered by means of a bank wire transfers to my checking account. That is why I associated them with money laundering. Also as I stated in an earlier post I was niave to what was happening, that is why I had sent the funds on to the person that I was to send it to. And as I have stated I do not do this type of scambaiting any more because regardless of my position in the laundering I will still be judged guilty. Hence I only now scambait Lads for dodgy checks ( counterfeit Money Orders ). And I have a lot of fun at recovering these fake checks. I particularly like all the attention i get from them after they realize that they will not get any money from me. The Lads like to threaten me that the FBI are looking for me because I am stealing their money. hahahehe :lol:

All wire tranfers are cash money or the equivalent. Those wires were never attempted to be charged back to you?

Why would you and BOA think that the wires were associated with money laundering?

If the person that wired the money is associated with money laundering, he now has your account and routing number, he would have free access to ACH your account at any time. That might be why your account was closed, it had been compromised when you turned over your account number to the other individuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:19 am 

:?:

Look the bank shut the account down a while back. This account did not have any of my funds in it at the time I was trying to "make" money by making these transfers. And I don't see how anybody can compromise an account with only the ACH wire number, and the account number was never disclosed to anybody. Further more why would somebody deposit cash into a complete strangers bank account and allow that person a 10% fee for the purpose of transfering the funds, when a third party is not needed to make any type of money transfer either in the USA or overseas? Hence the suspicions for money laundering.

Also, Dude, you seem very concerned with what has happened in my past, are you somebody I should not communicate with any longer or are you just interested in picking up what I dropped ? Because as far as I'm concerned this type of money transferences smell illegal and I WANT NO PART OF IT!

Maybe you should go to http://www.scambaits.com and register then read some of the posts on that site, it may open your eyes to what is going on in other parts of the world not just what you read about here in the states.

Hey lets stop this exchange of words, it is realy starting to get on my nerves. Having to explain myself to a complete stranger, I only printed my story so that hopefully some other person would read it and not get involved in the same situation that I did. Also you are making me very suspicious of you with all these pointed questions, I get the feeling you may be connected to law enforcement possibly the FBI; are you? Well come clean, are you?

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:15 am 
Gold Member

strate820 wrote:
:?:

Look the bank shut the account down a while back. This account did not have any of my funds in it at the time I was trying to "make" money by making these transfers. And I don't see how anybody can compromise an account with only the ACH wire number, and the account number was never disclosed to anybody. Further more why would somebody deposit cash into a complete strangers bank account and allow that person a 10% fee for the purpose of transfering the funds, when a third party is not needed to make any type of money transfer either in the USA or overseas? Hence the suspicions for money laundering.

Also, Dude, you seem very concerned with what has happened in my past, are you somebody I should not communicate with any longer or are you just interested in picking up what I dropped ? Because as far as I'm concerned this type of money transferences smell illegal and I WANT NO PART OF IT!

Maybe you should go to http://www.scambaits.com and register then read some of the posts on that site, it may open your eyes to what is going on in other parts of the world not just what you read about here in the states.

Hey lets stop this exchange of words, it is realy starting to get on my nerves. Having to explain myself to a complete stranger, I only printed my story so that hopefully some other person would read it and not get involved in the same situation that I did. Also you are making me very suspicious of you with all these pointed questions, I get the feeling you may be connected to law enforcement possibly the FBI; are you? Well come clean, are you?

:?

For them to wire money into your account they had to have your account number. There is no shuch thing as an "ACH Number".

As for "Why they may do this", they take hijacked accounts that they have "phished" information from and they transfer money into a "transhipper's account" like yours from there they ship it out to another account and from there they have the money Western Unioned out. I see this about 4 times a year.

You were not laundering any money, simply moving stolen money out of the country. Where did you wire the money to? Japan, Africa, Sweeden?

I am trying to explain to you what happened to you, you seem to have no idea.

Maybe you should get some help from Law Enforcement so you can understand your situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:44 am 
Gold Member

strate820 wrote:

First lets clearify something, I have never solicited any lads for the purpose of money laundering, dodgy checks or any of the other types of scams they run.

Now with that being said hopefully I can clear up the reason for me informing BoA of my honest intentions, it was in response to the questioning by the branch manager at my local branch. There is a little more info that should be explained so you will be able to comprehend the full scope of what BoA has done to me and to the account I once had with them.

After I was questioned by the branch manager, concerning two CASH wire transfers ($2785.00 EACH) to my account by a business who's name I shall not mention here and now, she contacted some accounts division whom then went and placed a negitive balance in the amount of -$888,888.00 hand to god. I was unable to make any deposits to this account with regards to my life insurance policies, so naturally the monthly payments went against insuficent funds, I lost my life insurance policies that I have been paying towards for many years (really fair to my wife if I should pass away tomorrow isn't it) hence we come to the final amended amount of $204 and change that was sent off to Telechex Systems under my good name. Which now leaves me without any bank wanting to service my monies for at least the next five years. Also did I mention that this was also forwarded to the three major credit reporting agencies, my credit is in ruins.

This was the very first time I was contacted by these type of people, and yes I was niave to how it worked and to what I was getting involved in. But after being contacted by a scambaiter that warned me to what I was doing I joined http://www.scambaits.org and have learned how to as safely as possible to bait these people, waste their time and get them to send me their dodgy checks so I can turn them over to the appropriate authorities or agencies.

So please Reverse do not judge me as being ignorant for giving this financial institute the info that they had asked for. I merely thought after the branch managers briefing me to what I was involved in, that I was just trying to save my skin and not go to jail for being an accesory to or after the facts.

I only posted my story here to help educate others so they do not have to learn the same way I did and to help get the word out that BoA is friendly to the scammers and will not help the victims. Let me ask you one question, have you read any story from a victim that claims to have been protected (helped) by BoA from a scammer or a scam? Well I'm waiting, have you? All the stories I have read are the horror stories were BoA has allowed the good people to be victimized. If only BoA would change their policies then it would make it that much harder for the scammers to victimize good people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:45 am 
Gold Member

strate820 wrote:

You do scambait for the "dodgy checks" or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:38 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I just want to jump in here and say that reverse is someone that has been posting here for awhile now, with very helpful advice and information for scam victims . . . they are someone whoes advice and comments I would concider safe for victims to listen to.

strate820 - I can understand that you are frustrated, but there were some points/facts about your situation that were not clear so reverse asked the questions that they needed to in order to try and give you the best advice that they could. (this is the first time that I have heard of someone that was baiting actually taking the checks to the bank and letting them in on it . . . usually the baiters just collect the checks for themselves or destroy them . . . and I would guess that if you told your bank that you were baiting they would not want anything to do with the checks and encourage you not to continue)

We are just trying to help.