ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Counterfeit Western Union Money Orders
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:50 pm 

I know most of you understand that Western Union has also been affected by scam artists counterfeiting their money orders. But did you know that 38% of *all* Western Union transcations are fraudulent in nature?!

I have become a victim of a Nigerian scammer because of these couterfeit money orders. I was not surprised that a Western Union representative told me that they could do nothing about this situation. I was surprised that they would do *nothing* when I mentioned that I had additional couterfeit money orders. Their representative simply told me to burn them! However, I waited until I could personally deliver them to a Secret Serice agent.

However, under the US Patriot Act and the Banking Secretcey Act passed after 9/11, Banks, Credit Unions and other financial insitutions must share information about money laundering and terriosts activities with law unforcement and the rest of the financial industry. These laws are supposed to be enforced by Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCen) with support from the Federal Reserve Board, FDIC( Federal Deposit Insurnace Company), the National Credit Union Agency (NCUA) and among other agencies.

When I confronted a teller at my local credit union, he said these Western Union moeny orders were "Good as Cash." Howver this wasn't the cash and they claim they didn't know any better. When I research this fact, the FDIC had published in 2001 evidence of counterfeit Western Union money oders. More than five years later, the credit union claim it didn't know any better.

I know that I am partialy at fault for this, but I counted on my credit union for correct information. Becuase these government agencies didn't issue regulatory alerts about counterfeit Western Union moeny oders, I and many others are being held financially reponsible when it is just as much the banking industries fault as our own!

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:27 pm 
The financial institution is a receptacle for deposits, when you deposited the money orders did you mention that these money orders was part of an internet based deal? Did you ask any extra questions or volunteer any information at your bank.

You, by contract are responsible for any and all deposits you place in your account. It would be nice if all counterfeits could be indentified at the teller line, but that is not feasible.

Sorry for your loss.

Today we received notice of a counterfeit $150,000 Canadian check that was being returned. The customer told us it was part of an internet deal and we were able to send the check for collection, thus identifying it as a fake.