There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: craigslist and rent.com scams
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 pm 

<http://www.scamadviser.com/is-smart-rent-online.com-safe.html.>

They are using smart rent online name. They created a fake website to process the things. Should try to stop him from further scams.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:50 pm 

Yep!
I was defrauded by this DAVID guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am an international student and just came to a foreign country three months ago. This fraud made me disappointed.
And I want to say, DO NOT TRUST THESE OVERSEA LANDLORDS!

I began to search housing advertisments two weeks ago and found a low price nice apartment.

The so-called landlord is this guy, David Kuban.
As mentioned before I am new here so I trusted him and sent him 1700CAD for the rental fees but after he received the money, he disappeared and then I called the police.

Worse thing is that, I called the police this afternoon at about 4pm, the DAVID guy then called me with a blocked number and asked me: "Did you call the police?"
I said: "Yes sure I did!"
Then he cut the call.

One minute later, a woman called me and she claimed to be the police and said she now was in front of my house door. What a coincidence, right?
A "police" called me just after the David guy asked me.

So I called the police station again and they helped me to chase back the phone number of the "policewoman" and told me that was a dispensable number!

I was shocked and scared. I was afraid that they had a gang and were waiting for me home and then would murdered me!!!

But the police said this would gonna to be happened according to his experience...

What should I do? The police told me it was impossible to get the money back and they could do nothing..

Ok I'll take it but honestly 1700 is a big deal for an international student came from a developing country.

And the point is that, I found three nice apartments on Kijiji.ca and all of them claimed that they were in England and sent the money to the Third Party Company.

So? It means that this fraud is really common!!!!

Why rent.coms do not have messages post at the top of the webpage and warn people this kind of fraud????
I think this is a good way!!
Why not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 am 

Hi everyone,
SAME SCENARIO...
This time, he posted this add on kijiji: "$870 / 2br - 850ft² - Beautiful 2 Bedrooms apartment in Plateau ( heart of Montreal)"
His name was David Kurran
Here are our e-mail exchanges

***1st email:
From: belerinpentun@gmail.com on behalf of David Kurran (davidkurran@aol.com)
Sent: December-09-12 4:19:03 PM

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in Avenue du Mount Royal Est. Apt, QC,H2J 3L1 . The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. The apartment has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 870 CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs. There is no problem in sending you the keys and papers because my brother is in Calgary , he could come there and show you the apartment .

Thank you and look forward hearing from you!
David

PS : I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment ( as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition ) .

***2nd email
From: david.kurr4n@gmail.com on behalf of David Kurran (davidkurran@aol.com)
Sent: December-11-12 9:30:20 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 870CAD and damage deposit 870CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

As I said in my first email, in this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom. We obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal. Like I told you , my brother lives in Calgary, Alberta and he can come to you and show the apartment . You maybe know there is a long distance so I need to be sure 100 % that you are an serious person so I can send him all this way .

The solution is a worldwide third party company called SmartRentOnline (http://www.smartrentonline.com) . We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package ( they will verify the apartment documents and send you the rental contract) . With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with SmartRentOnline given that I'm a registered user for 4 years and I've made over 30 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.

My phone number is +44 203 290 0802 (if you are calling from Canada you need to dial 011 44 203 290 0802). You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.

Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction and my brother phone number ( also I need to contact my brother and set an appointment with you ) . You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!
David

***3rd email
From: david.kurr4n@gmail.com on behalf of David Kurran (davidkurran@aol.com)
Sent: December-12-12 4:22:43 PM

Hi again,

You will only have to deposit to SmartRentOnline the first month of rent from contract and damage deposit 870 $ + 870 $ = 1740 $ CAD so they can proceed with the transaction . I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full info(full name, address and a cell phone number).
2 - I will go at SmartRentOnline to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - SmartRentOnline will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London. They will also confirm with the building manager that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 - SmartRentOnline will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody in which you will also have all the payment instructions to complete the money transfer to the SmartRentOnline Agent.
5 - At this point you will have to make a money deposit on the SmartRentOnline Agent Name for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent ( and damage deposit ) . The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they will charge me an additional fee.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to SmartRentOnline.
7 - SmartRentOnline will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will inform me and they will send you the rental package ( including the keys ) . Also I will tell my brother to come and show you the apartment .

8 - He will come and check the apartment with you , you have 5 days for inspection , you must contact SmartRentOnline to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct SmartRentOnline to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract to my brother . SmartRentOnline can't release the funds without your approval.

Let me know if you have the funds available (1740 CAD$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call me or e-mail me.

Thanks
David

PS : My brother phone`s number is : 587 315 0755 .

That's where I woke up. I already had doubt on it, but when I saw that phone number, I didn't recognize it as an Alberta one; Then, I googled it and found all your alerts. Then, here's the answer I sent him:

Sent: December-12-12 9:53:44 PM
To: davidkurran@aol.com (davidkurran@aol.com)

Hi David,
Did you really think that I would make a payment before visiting the apartment?
Please read the link below;
I found some great information on you on the internet.

http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1624&start=30

You should be ashamed to try robbing honest people!
Please make sure not to contact me anymore; I will send all our emails exchange to the canadian police!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm 

Well this person is now using the name David Kurran, he is posting ads on craiglist Montreal. As some of you said, exact same story. First ad did not give much information, so I wrote asking several things, basic things you need to know if you are going to rent a place. First reply was this:

Hey,
Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in Avenue du Mount Royal Est. Apt, QC,H2J 3L1 . The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. The apartment has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 870 CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs. There is no problem in sending you the keys and papers because my brother is in Calgary , he could come there and show you the apartment .

David

PS : I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment ( as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition ) .

As you can see he did not give the exact address, so I replied asking for it and for a way to book a visit with someone before taking any decision. So, I got this email:

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 870CAD and damage deposit 870CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.
As I said in my first email, in this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom. We obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal. Like I told you , my brother lives in Calgary, Alberta and he can come to you and show the apartment . You maybe know there is a long distance so I need to be sure 100 % that you are an serious person so I can send him all this way .
The solution is a worldwide third party company called SmartRentOnline <http://www.smartrentonline.com> . We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package ( they will verify the apartment documents and send you the rental contract) . With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with SmartRentOnline given that I'm a registered user for 4 years and I've made over 30 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.
My phone number is +44 203 290 0802 (if you are calling from Canada you need to dial 011 44 203 290 0802). You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.
Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction and my brother phone number ( also I need to contact my brother and set an appointment with you ) . You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

David

Again no address, so I wrote back again asking the address and telling him that I needed to see the place before anything else, cause I don't trust an ad just after pictures, I have to check it out in person. And got this back:

Hi again,
You will only have to deposit to SmartRentOnline the first month of rent from contract and damage deposit 870 $ + 870 $ = 1740 $ CAD so they can proceed with the transaction . I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full info(full name, address and a cell phone number).
2 - I will go at SmartRentOnline to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - SmartRentOnline will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London. They will also confirm with the building manager that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 - SmartRentOnline will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody in which you will also have all the payment instructions to complete the money transfer to the SmartRentOnline Agent.
5 - At this point you will have to make a money deposit on the SmartRentOnline Agent Name for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent ( and damage deposit ) . The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they will charge me an additional fee.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to SmartRentOnline.
7 - SmartRentOnline will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will inform me and they will send you the rental package ( including the keys ) . Also I will tell my brother to come and show you the apartment .
8 - He will come and check the apartment with you , you have 5 days for inspection , you must contact SmartRentOnline to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct SmartRentOnline to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract to my brother . SmartRentOnline can't release the funds without your approval.

Let me know if you have the funds available (1740 CAD$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call me or e-mail me.

Thanks
David

PS : My brother phone`s number is : 587 315 0755 .

Of course I was not going to deposit anything before meeting with someone, check out the place, etc. If at the beginning looked suspicious with this was a confirmation for me. So, I started my internet search. As someone else said here, for smartrentonline there are no reviews, so I could not tell if it is a legitimate company or not. And about this guy, there is even a Linkedin profile with a picture of a guy from Calgary (which is where this David said his brother lives in). And at some point found this site where I sadly saw that this person took advantage of other people. He insisted in having my information or for me to call him but no way I was going to do it. How is possible that if you move away don't leave anyone in charge of showing your place to get a tenant, and that he does no credit or references check. Too bad that some people did believe in this.
I really hope something can be done cause this kind of garbage does not deserve to live among us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm 

Yeah, he's going by "David Kurran" now apparently. My girlfriend responded to a craigslist ad, and here's what we got... Copy and paste...

Hello Brittany ,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 790CAD and damage deposit 790CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

The solution is a worldwide third party company called SmartRentOnline (http://www.smartrentonline.com) . We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package ( they will verify the apartment documents and send you the rental contract) . With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with SmartRentOnline given that I'm a registered user for 4 years and I've made over 30 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 am 

Hi all,

I have answers to an announce posted by the famous David Kurran. The announce was "650$ - 600ft - Studio Downtown Quartier Latin" posted on kijiji.

The e-mail addresses used by him are :

leourtpolens8823@gmail.com
davidkurran@aol.com

For now I didn't get him nothing. But there is a way for me to help future victims ? I don't know how doing it at all.

Here the mails :

MAIL 1
--------------------------------------
Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in 2062 Rue Saint-André, QC H2L 3V1. The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 650 CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs. There is no problem in sending you the keys and papers because my brother is in Calgary , he could come there and show you the apartment .

David

PS : I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment ( as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition)

After this mail I ask for a visit and then came mail 2:

Hello Mathieu ,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 650CAD and damage deposit 650CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

David

Thanks to all of you for posting your stories here. But once again, I would like to go deeper with this scammer. Does anyone know what can I do in order to stop this guy ?

Mathieu.

PS : English isn't my mother tongue, sorry about that...