ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Failed Scam.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 pm 

I stumbled upon this board when searching for money order information. I don't deal with money orders very much but after reading this board I was assured that someone was trying to scam me.

I was looking for a roommate on rent.com and this person who called her self Marria Lopez (may2_real@yahoo.com) wanted to room with me. She jumped on me right away wanting to rent from me but I was reluctant. It seemed like she was trying to push me to be let me let her rent. Said she was in Thailand on a tour. She claimed she was an international model and was italian. I asked her so many questions and she didnt' answer any of the questions I asked to get to know her and why was she going to move to the US and why was she going to Nigeria and how long was she going to be this and that. . Anyways, she asked for my address and I gave it to her. She the proceeded to tell me that her f/manager was going to send the money for the deposit. Well, I decided that I didn't want her any more and told her I found another roommate. She then emailed me and was all like saying how her manager already sent the money and if she I could send it to her later. And guess what the hell address she gives me. An address in Lagos State, Nigeria. I'm like WTF? I dont hear from her for about a week and she told me that she was in a car accident and just got out of the hospital. I was like Umm. Okay. Well, the money I was expecting was 700. This was all 2 weeks ago. Well, about 2 days ago I received an USPS envelope from Worcester, MA and you know what it was 5 $900 Walmart Moneygrams that had an address from Fremont, CA on it. I was shocked to see all these money orders and told my dad about it. I emailed her and told her that I was not going to cash those money orders because I did know that if I cashed them they would be under my name and I would be responsible for it. I told her that it would be safer for her and for me if i sent them back because I wasn't going to deal with the money and that I barely even know her. I wondered why she was so trusting of sending this large amount of money to someone she barely even talked to and knew. I told her that there were too many addresses and things seemed to be really fishy because I looked up the addresses on the internet and one of them did not exist. I already told her that I would send the orginal money orders back to her f/manager and that maybe he could reimburse them and then make the money orders out and that I woudl give her 2 days to give me the address to send those original money orders back. She then emails me saying that she really needs the money because she needed to pay bills and money to fly to the US and for jewelries she bought. And that she wasn't working for the same modeling agency and was not with the f/manager anymore. I thought hmm... why would a modelling agency use Walmart moneygrams to pay their models? I just told her to email me her f/managers phone number or get in contact with her f/manager so that I could get an address to send the uncashed money orders back to where she wanted. I told her that cashing and sending the money internatiionally was out of the picture. And that I was sorry that I couldn't help her because I didn't want to be involved in her money matters and didnt want to jeapordize anything.

So yeah, after reading this board, I realized someone IS trying to scam me but they not gonna. I ask too many questions and when things seem REALLY fishy I back off and don't agree or accept anything.

Keep your eyes open. Ask questions. Fish for details. If they don't give them to you then dont agree to anything. If you don't deal with anything international then don't deal with anything international unless you are totally sure of everything.

I think what I'm going to do is drag on this whole thing with the girl making her think that she's getting to me. And then one day be like. Gotcha bitch.
Should I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:18 am 

It is not a good idea to keep in contact with a scammer. They can be dangerous. Just burn the money orders as you know they are worthless. I am so glad that you did not get caught up in the scam and lose money. Even though she may say she is in another country, and she is probably a he anyway, scammers are all over the world and it can be dangerous to be in contact with them when they have your real information.