ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yet another victim of money order scam read on
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:22 pm 

My story seems different from all of yours I was given an email regarding a work at home job sounded great seeing how i'm a busy college student who is also disabled. The person sent me a link to his website http://www.actexotextile.com I thought it was real it seemed real but then he asked me to cash some money orders from Walmart to wire him money in Nigeria to help with his travel expenses the bank told me the checks were good and cashed then so I wired the money to him then a week later more came and sure enough the bank said they were good so I again cashed them this time they went to someone in London. So I wired the money no problems then I go to pay my bills online and my account is overdrawn by 14,853.00 dollars the bank says it's my fault even though they said the money was good I'm scared I don't know what to do I called the Secret Service and am waiting for them to return my calls but there is no way i can come up with that kind of cash to fix my checking account my only option would be to file bankruptcy which would distroy what little credit I haveand risk loosing my student loans I don't know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:16 am 

im sorry to hear that. The bank did the same to me . they are taking all my paychecks for the next month. i cant afford alawyer so i am stuck paying it back. frozen assets and the whole 9yards.

Post subject: Re: Yet another victim of money order scam read on
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:36 pm 

damon459 wrote:
My story seems different from all of yours I was given an email regarding a work at home job sounded great seeing how i'm a busy college student who is also disabled. The person sent me a link to his website http://www.actexotextile.com I thought it was real it seemed real but then he asked me to cash some money orders from Walmart to wire him money in Nigeria to help with his travel expenses the bank told me the checks were good and cashed then so I wired the money to him then a week later more came and sure enough the bank said they were good so I again cashed them this time they went to someone in London. So I wired the money no problems then I go to pay my bills online and my account is overdrawn by 14,853.00 dollars the bank says it's my fault even though they said the money was good I'm scared I don't know what to do I called the Secret Service and am waiting for them to return my calls but there is no way i can come up with that kind of cash to fix my checking account my only option would be to file bankruptcy which would distroy what little credit I haveand risk loosing my student loans I don't know what to do.

i too was contacted by a textile company http://www.lantex.co.uk
i just found out yesterday that i was completely taken by surprise since my bank (bank of america) still issued the money to me even after placing the money orders on hold. i will have to call back monday to make arrangements for paying off the negative balance from my account.

i guess my question is, i'm still getting correspondence from the a "representative" from LANTEX stating that it must have been a terrible mistake (i'm well informed now to know that it is a complete scam), they said more payments are on the way. should i continue this dialogue? will it help my case for i've yet to file a police report?

Post subject: Daman, I was scammed in much the same way .....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:43 pm 

I even spent a night in jail, and am being charged with Forgery & Uttering ... and I didn't have a clue one that the Money Orders were fraudulent. I too am disabled, and an online friend that I've known for almost 2yrs said they had a friend that wanted to help me.

Anyway, I have a question ..........
Have you been able to find out if there is any help for ppl in our situation?

Thank you,
Scott Nicholas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:50 pm 

Scott read your pm Im on it for you, there is a to do list for you that is very important.

Post subject: i just had the same thing happen to me
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:43 pm 

same thing happened but for 2800
also checks from walmart

why cant bush war nigeria instead?

i thought id argue with the bank but i see online no one has his ways and its not.. is the bank gonna get his money, but when

so i dont know.. they told me to come there today with their money

im going to file a police report but i dont know if i should risk going to the bank and getting arrested

lucky i got some money to pay it off but it sucks that im scammed out of 3 G's

anyone wanna help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:09 pm 

i've been scammed the same way. i'm just waiting for my bank account to take the hit. i always thought that money orders were safe until i got to thinking how weird the whole transaction was. Especially when he wanted me to do 19,000 on the next transaction. after reading on i realized that i got scammed. luckily i'm only out $3900 (only). when i contacted him again to tell him i would no longer be able to do the transaction he told me payment was already on it's way. I told him when i receive it it will be burned. i'm just worried about going to jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:28 am 

this guy is presistant. he wants me to cash more. i emailed him and told him i would if i could take it to the postal inspector first to make sure they are valid. he reply's back with: Okay.

what should i do now? refuse the package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:24 pm 
Gold Member

Sever all contact with this scammer. If a package arrives, refuse to accept it. You could make up a story about being arrested by the police as your bank has now discovered the original money orders are counterfeit. This should make him move on and try elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:40 am 

I just discovered this site and I also was 'scammed.' The site was the exact one you posted - Actexotile!!!! I checked out the website also. What a mess this whole money order thing was and I wish I had known about it way before I got involved because I cashed 3 of these money orders and got arrested!!!! My computer was confiscated even though I'm the one that called the police!!!! I go to court this week....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:12 am 

What you all encountered is a Work At Home payment processing scam! you are hired to accept payments from so called comapnies that owe the one that hired you money. Problem is that you are being sent counterfeit or altered money orders and checks to cash for them.

This is a money laundering scam and they put you right in the middle of it unsuspectingly. IF you have given them ANY identification Drivers licens, social security number , copy of passport you are in immediate danger of Identity Theft!. You need to immediately do the following things:

1. Fraud Flag all 3 credit bureau reports, obtain your free copy for this year and audit it for anything that is not yours. Dispute the items that are not yours and demand signature proof for the debts.

2. Report this to whoever issued the id that you sent copies of. For drivers license some states will allow you to change your license and have a new number issued.

3. Change any passwords for your online bnaking accounts, credit card accounts, etc at least 1x per week , I recommend 2x per week for at least the first few months.

4. You need to scrub your computer - use a trojan detector, anti virus, anti spyware programs as well as invoke a firewall.

http://www.zonelabs.com - free firewall called zone alarm

http://www.grisoft.com - free AVG antivirus

spy bot search and destroy is a good anti spyware as is microsoft anti spyware and again both are free.

There is a good registry cleaner called CCleaner and again it is also free

Finally alert your bank to the fact that your identity was stolen and that you need to change account numbers by closing the old and opening a new. This will only work if you do not owe your bank at present.

Any credit card information they may have, close that account and have a new card issued immediately.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:16 pm 
KarynSolo wrote:
What you all encountered is a Work At Home payment processing scam! you are hired to accept payments from so called comapnies that owe the one that hired you money. Problem is that you are being sent counterfeit or altered money orders and checks to cash for them.

This is a money laundering scam and they put you right in the middle of it unsuspectingly. IF you have given them ANY identification Drivers licens, social security number , copy of passport you are in immediate danger of Identity Theft!. You need to immediately do the following things:

1. Fraud Flag all 3 credit bureau reports, obtain your free copy for this year and audit it for anything that is not yours. Dispute the items that are not yours and demand signature proof for the debts.

2. Report this to whoever issued the id that you sent copies of. For drivers license some states will allow you to change your license and have a new number issued.

3. Change any passwords for your online bnaking accounts, credit card accounts, etc at least 1x per week , I recommend 2x per week for at least the first few months.

4. You need to scrub your computer - use a trojan detector, anti virus, anti spyware programs as well as invoke a firewall.

http://www.zonelabs.com - free firewall called zone alarm

http://www.grisoft.com - free AVG antivirus

spy bot search and destroy is a good anti spyware as is microsoft anti spyware and again both are free.

There is a good registry cleaner called CCleaner and again it is also free

Finally alert your bank to the fact that your identity was stolen and that you need to change account numbers by closing the old and opening a new. This will only work if you do not owe your bank at present.

Any credit card information they may have, close that account and have a new card issued immediately.

Hope this helps

Not money laundering, this is just counterfeiting. Money laundering is when you have large sums of illegal cash (drug money) and you want to inject the money into a legal situation, hence you launder bad money. This is just a counterfeit situation.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm 

Excuse me but if in fact you have contacted the FBI in reguards to the fraud then with that in hand, and Im not a Lawyer , a way that can be dealt with thru some court litagation so that your not helpd responsible?
Knowledge is Power people get scammed ecery second in the US, and and yet we do nothing to stop it
Unbelieveable to think this is the US of A

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:19 pm 
thinkin wrote:
Excuse me but if in fact you have contacted the FBI in reguards to the fraud then with that in hand, and Im not a Lawyer , a way that can be dealt with thru some court litagation so that your not helpd responsible?
Knowledge is Power people get scammed ecery second in the US, and and yet we do nothing to stop it
Unbelieveable to think this is the US of A

The bank position is "you are responsible for what you deposit, no one coerced you to make the deposits" you are responsible for the loss.

Post subject: Re: Yet another victim of money order scam read on
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:30 am 

I'm not sure anyone is even reading this anymore been awhile since I posted my issue so I wanted to give an update the bank has since charged off the bad debt they never did turn me over to collection or try and press criminal charges but I was lucky I saved all the emails had my phone logs as well as the packages the money orders came in and my money gram receipts. so to all those who were not as lucky as I I'm sorry to those I prevented from being victims I'm so happy.