ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7,600 in Counterfeit PMO's and 2,000 in Cashier's Checks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:24 pm 

My name is Kriss,( Personal data deleted for victim safety by karynsolo)and Monday morning, June 13th my credit union, Mid Oregon Federal Credit Union, a Joselyn there called me to inform me that money orders I had cashed were counterfeit. But that's not where my story starts. I got an email from someone asking me if I woud ship a Porsche to the UK, and if I woud wire the funds to the shipper there for sending it. Now, I had the Porsche listed, but was actually selling it for someone else. And frankly, wasn't getting bids on it, so the mere thought of selling the Porsche was exciting. (right now I could reach around and kick my own butt!). Well, long story short I got 5 postal money orders in the amount of $950.00 each in the mail, an envelope from London. Inside there was a note that said, cash this at your bank, and wire it Western Union to John Morgan in London, and email shippermorgan@yahoo.com the mtcn number. I gleefully paid the guy for his Porsche, and sent the balance to this John Morgan, in London. Then I emailed the mtcn number, I'm a monkey and do what I'm told. (doubt I'll be so willing in the future, most likely will question EVERYTHING), and got an email back right away saying, because of the exchange rate that was not enough, need you to immediately send more money. I emailed back and said, I've already deducted the guy that owned the car's money, and sent you the balance, there is no more money. I got an email back saying more money is on it's way, do the same thing to this John Morgan. Sure enough, 2 envelopes came, one with 2 cashier's checks from travelers, and one with 3 postal money orders in the amount of $950.00, I was supposed to wire another $2,200 to this John Morgan, then email the mtcn to shippermorgan@yahoo.com, which I did, and deposited the balance in my account.

I'm now waiting for the original money orders and cashier's checks to get to a Joselyn at the bank, which she informed me she woud make clear copies so I can take them to the Bend Police Department to file a formal complaint. After reading some of the other stories on this site, I'm begining to wonder if my own bank and local police have different plans. I don't know, however, I did not mean to defraud anyone, and the bank says now I owe them in the neighborhood of 9650, of which there is no way I have. I hope I don't also need to find an attorney to protect me from being jailed over this mess!

Kriss[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:44 pm 

Smart police will know that it is a crapshoot with these cases to ever get a conviction as they must prove that you had intent to defraud beyond a doubt. Seeing you did not make the checks , you did not know they were counterfeit that is near impossible to prove. Keep your bank calm, try to work with them on a payment arrangement and one that will fit your budget and not throw you into poverty. Let them know that you realize that it is unfortunate that you got scammed and that you now owe them but you are willing to do what it takes to resolve the situation. ALWAYS get any agreement in writing and keep it safe in a file, NEVER make a verbal agreement with the bank.

I personally would have a witness with you when you report this to the police, stick to the facts of the case and do not allow them to bully you into talking past what you should say. Should that happen simply invoke your right to remain silent and come back with an attorney or have your witness call an attorney.

Remember you are going to them in good faith on your own to report that you got scammed, if they turn it into anything but that, shut up and get help asap.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:06 am 

The bank still hasn't called me back with release of the money orders, although every time I've talked to her on the phone, she's been very pleasant. As soon as those come, I will do the report, I have spoken to several friends that are in the police department, and they have all told me this will be just to have it on record, little or nothing can be done about it, I'm on the hook for the money. Last time I talked to the bank, they said they would put me on a reasonable payment schedule. As soon as they knew exactly the amount that was owed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:48 pm 

Sounds like you have a handle on the bank situation. Best of luck to you with it all, I know it is tough you will be just fine.

Post subject: counterfeit money orders
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:30 pm 
I recieved 4 counterfeitt money orders in the mail on the 5th of July 2005 from someone in London, the amounts were all $800.00. I went to the shippers email address where they wanted me to wire the excess funds and I found this story. I went down to the post office to see if these money orders were good of if they were counterfeit. The lady told me they were counterfeit. The same scam was almost pulled on me. I am very thankful that I saw this story about what happened to the guy in Bend Oregon. Now I have him to thank and my own investigating to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:18 pm 

:) KUDOS for Bob, I am so proud of you for checking this out and NOT getting scammed! Please learn from all of this and warn your family, friends and neighbors anyone you can not to respond to these kinds of offers and to be VERY dilligent when dealing with anyone responding to classified ads, or online offers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:13 pm 

Karyn or Kriss Bend- please remove your personal detials from your post- you do not want to be getting calls from scammers lurking on this board!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:45 pm 

Sunray I have taken care of it for Kriss, thanks for pointing that out.

Post subject: Fake postal money orders
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:44 pm 

On 4/12/05 I got 6 Postal Money Orders and each one was for $1,000.00. I thought pretty good I got me some cash. Went to my bank to deposit them and a Saturday afternoon and by Monday I was told that the bank had given them to the Postal Inspector as they were fraudulent postal checks made out to some one else and for different amounts these were stolen postal money orders. I tried to contact the person who sent them and they never answered back. The postal checks were from a post office in New Jersey. has any one gotten one of these?

Post subject: Re: Fake postal money orders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:54 am 
Tracer wrote:
On 4/12/05 I got 6 Postal Money Orders and each one was for $1,000.00. I thought pretty good I got me some cash. Went to my bank to deposit them and a Saturday afternoon and by Monday I was told that the bank had given them to the Postal Inspector as they were fraudulent postal checks made out to some one else and for different amounts these were stolen postal money orders. I tried to contact the person who sent them and they never answered back. The postal checks were from a post office in New Jersey. has any one gotten one of these?

Why would someone send you $6000.00? Didn't that seem odd?

Post subject: got fake postal money orders from the same John Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:00 pm 

I have received money orders from this same guy, but thank goodness my bank found out that the money orders were fruad before I had cashed them. The story is almost the same but this time, he said he needed money to purchase a car in england but he was unable to cash the money orders.

Weird that we had the same run in with the same guy