There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:17 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for some advice and this seems like the best place!
I'm a young canadian student who is trying to sell a camera and someone from the states offered to buy it from me! Anyways...I got this email supposedly from USPS(although it was sent from a @usa.com email address) the email is scattered with ugly looking GIF's. and here is a sample of some of the text:

Quote:
Dear Jeremy Cxxx,
Thank you for using United States Postal Money Order®.You have just been sent $900.00, being payment for a "Nikon D50", and the money was sent by Mike Brown.

Due to the fact that some sellers don't send out items, despite the fact that buyers have paid for the item,we have therefore introduced a new policy that sellers should ship out items after the approval of payment and send the shipment tracking number to our customer help centre for verification:
Below is the address where your Postal MoneyOrder® will be sent to in 3-5 Business days,after shipment has been verified.

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE UNITED POSTAL MONEY ORDER® MAY NOT GET TO THE OUTLINED ADDRESS, IF YOU DO NOT SHIP/RELEASE THE ITEM TO THE BUYER WITHIN 48 HOURS OF RECIEVING THIS PAYMENT APPROVAL NOTIFICATION.PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH THE SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER, AS SOON AS THE ITEM HAS BEEN SHIPPED TO THE BUYER,FOR US TO CARRY OUT NECESSARY VERIFICATION THAT WILL FACILITATE FASTER DELIVERY OF THE MONEY ORDER TO YOU,AND TO SECURE BOTH THE SELLER AND THE BUYER.

Quote:

We will be waiting for you to ship the item and mail us the shipment tracking number so that we can send out your payment. With this no buyer can stop payment with a false claim that there is no longer any transaction between the two of you after you might have shipped. We are your mediator,we stand between both the buyers and the sellers because we have our reputation to protect.

Anyways...i'm being very careful with this and I was wondering what your take on this is? I'm pretty sure its a scam! I mean...they want me to send the package first, even before I can even verify the postal order?

Thanks a lot! And kudos to the people who started this website!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:32 pm 

Oh and a few more things I just thought of. At first I quoted the price as 900$ on craigslist but lowered it to 850$ when that person emailed me. But the money order is for 900$

wierd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:51 pm 
scam, old scam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:53 pm 

thanks! that is what I figured...I just wanted to make sure

:)