ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oy Vey are they getting careless
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:08 pm 

Check this story out , this is outright pathetic in its attempt made. Someone really needs to take this dude back to school for scamming 101 to learn how to write a letter , that or take him out back and beat sense into him.

'Rescue of Nigerian Astronaut Stuck in Space' is judged
the Most Outrageous example of 'Advance-Fee' emails

CPB announces results of 'Spam and Bologna' Contest
to warn the public about widespread email scam

The fictitious tale of Major Abache Tunde -- "the first African in space" whose secret flight in 1990 has left him stranded on a Russian space station -- was judged the "most outrageous" example of advance-fee emails by the New York State Consumer Protection Board as it announced the results of its "Spam and Bologna" email Contest.

The Consumer Protection Board created the "Spam and Bologna" contest to warn the public about "advance-fee" (also known as "Nigerian" and "419") emails. The scam artists behind these emails try to steal money from people by telling them wild, imaginary stories about fortunes hidden by a deposed dictator, a corrupt government official or a deceased business executive.

Teresa A. Santiago, Chairperson and Executive Director of the Consumer Protection Board, said, "This contest was meant to demonstrate how ridiculous -- and, at the same time, how dangerous -- these email scams can be. This scam is one of the biggest and most-successful rip-offs on the Internet today."

The FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center estimates that individual victims of advance-fee emails generally lose $3,400 or more. That was the highest per-person loss of all the Internet scams tracked by the IFCC in 2002.

One recent victim is a Tampa, Florida resident who lost $2,500 while trying to collect $6 million that was allegedly waiting for her in a Netherlands bank. The CPB is not releasing the woman's name.

“I kind of believe a little bit because it seemed true after the fake bank called and sent email to me,” she wrote of her experience. After an “attorney (sent a) receipt (that) looked very real... I was in their trap then and so I believe that I will get $6 (million) in my bank."

"Thank goodness, the bank called me back and inform me there is this big scam. I hate these people and they still think that I am stupid. They try to get me to go to Holland to pick (up) the fake draft. I send you this email (in the) hope that you can make people in USA be aware about those bad people. I don’t want to see other people being victims like I am at all.”

"These emails spin stories that are so wild and unbelievable they really belong in a Hollywood movie. There is no treasure waiting for anyone -- except for the scam artists who are sending these phony emails," said Chairperson Santiago. "They make repeated demands for people to send more and more money and even try to lure them to another country."

"Just as Major Tunde is said to be orbiting the earth, these advance fee emails are circling the World Wide Web, searching for people gullible enough to believe that they have a chance to share in a treasure left by a deposed dictator, a corrupt government official or a deceased business executive," said Chairperson Santiago. "Despite the unbelievable stories and situations in these emails, people are continually being duped into sending thousands of dollars to collect one of these 'phantom fortunes.'”

In the email regarding Major Tunde, recipients are directed to send $3,000 so the Russian government will bring Major Tunde back to earth. Upon his return, you will be given a share of the $15 million in "flight pay and interest" that has accumulated since he was "stranded ... on the secret Soviet military space station Salyut T-16z."

Judged the Most Outrageous, this email was submitted by Cindy Sue Causey of Talking Rock, Georgia; and an anonymous participant.

"For winning our contest, Ms. Causey will receive nothing -- just like the people who fall victim to these scams," said Chairperson Santiago. "Fortunately, Ms. Causey did not lose any of her money to these scam artists and we appreciate her help in casting light on these phony emails."

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/technology/3367746/detail.html