There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Scam?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:57 pm 

What do you guys think about this one?

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:52:09 -0800 (PST)
From: "idris aderupoko" <lakesidenigltd@yahoo.com> Add to Address Book
Subject: urgent respond needed

Dear sir/ma,
i idris aderupoko, the personal business owner of lakeside nig ltd ,i am interesting in buying one among your product which is listed below and i need 10 qty of it to be shiped to common west africa NIGERIA, upon agreement i will like you to qoute me the total cost of 10 qty with DHL shipment to nigeria , and the payment shall be made via my personal credit card information, so calculate the total cost with shipment and mail me back so that i can forward my payment information to you to charge and have your money instantly and you get my order shiped after.

Nokia 3660 (unlocked)

Regards,
idris.

I'm guessing this one is another attempt to defraud Joe Ignorant. If so, how could I F*** with them a little? The $3000 that I lost in the past to these guys warrants a little good old fashioned payback. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:53 pm 

hmmmm goldie what do you think a beginner on that one? the letter sure is shotty at best, someone needs to go to business school and learn the lingo hahhaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:39 pm 
Gold Member

The English, spelling, punctuation and grammar, is typical of a scammer. Part of their ploy is often to attempt to indicate to you, the intended victim, that you are brighter than they are. This is designed to make you feel comfortable and superior to the scammer.

That said, there's always some that genuinely have a poor command of English, but that should be expected because it is not always the first language of the scammer.

There are other common features about this letter.
Firstly, the scammer is saying he's interested in the product; and then adds, almost as an afterthought, what the product is.(that is probably to remind himself, because he's probably sending hundreds of scam letters out)
Then there's the shipping overseas (to Nigeria) Who the hell would want to buy and ship 10 phones to Nigeria when they are reasonably cheap to purchase there anyway.
He's not going to quibble about the price but will "forward my payment information to you to charge and have your money instantly". Another comfort ploy . . . . . . you'll get your money up front.
And " you get my order shiped [sic] after."
Easy; you get your money first and then you ship afterwards.

As usual, when you analyse it, it seems to good to be true.
Which is exactly what it is.

By the way, this is not an example of 419 Advance Fee Fraud. It's a counterfeit cheque scam. The scammer would send you a dud cheque for a greater sum than you are asking for and then ask you to remit the balance to him, probably by Western Union.

&#1059;&#1099; &#1057;&#1077;&#1075;&#1086;&#1076;&#1085;&#1103; &#1047;&#1072;&#1085;&#1103;&#1090; ?

Post subject: Here's my Idea
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:27 am 

I came up with a brilliant idea.

Why isn't someone selling these people spell checker software? From my understanding Nigerian Fraud and all it's versions are anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th largest industry in Nigeria.

Start a company, sell them spell checker software and give the money back to the victims.

Maybe do some kind of auto-reply to these emails directing them to a website where they can purchase the software.

My other idea is to sell computer keyboards to Nigeria that have the caps lock disabled.

Of course I'm joking on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:20 pm 
Gold Member

HI,
With your creativity and good ideas it might be fun for you to check out http://www.419eater.com
They specialize in baiting the Lads from Lagos in order to frustrate them in their goals to get money.
Be sure to read all the FAQs and policies of the board before joining and/or posting.
The members are very active and will respect anone who takes the time to understand what they are doing before jumping in and posting.
YOu might enjoy this activity!
Churchmouse

P.S. Spelling by theses scammers is a topic of great interest over there- check out the translation programs!

Post subject: 419eater.com led me to this site
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:05 pm 

Churchmouse:

Actually, here is how I found out about all of this.

1. I read an article about 419eater.com on the BBC website.

2. I then checked out 419eater.com. I am addicted to those threads. They are absolutely brilliant.

3. To find out more, I went to their link section and found this site as well as scamchecker.com

I have never been a victim of one of these scams. But I get tired of getting the emails, and was curious to know how people were fighting back.

Now it is a matter of educating myself. With the 419eater.com, this site, and others, I am learning quite a lot in an entertaining and informative/creative way.

I work in an IT department of a bank and I also have a side business. So this is a way for me to protect myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:00 am 
Gold Member

It's really fun to be a part of the 419eater group. They're a wild bunch!
Also check out http://www.scamorama.com and aa419.org. The last group has monthly "Flash Mobs" which you might want to look into. ON the first of each month we target fake bank sites and take them down as a group by stealing bandwith, writing the website host etc.
As a banker, this will appeal to you!
Let me know if you start baiting and who you catch!
Churchmouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:53 pm 

@ 419eater.com the scammers get their butts kicked!!! (and in the proces of doing that, they send us nice pictures :-) )

james®

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:35 pm 

lol james aint that the truth. I could never have the patience to scambait but I admire those who do. I just have fun reading the various baits out there some of them are outright hillarious.