ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! ALMOST SCAMMED 7,392.99 .. now identity theft problems
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:06 pm 

well about a month ago, I replied to a work from home job posting that was described as this: It's a company based in the UK and what they would do is direct deposit me money, I would withdraw it, then send it back to the UK by Western Union Money Transfer. My comission would be to keep between 5%-15% of the check. I knew this seemed too could to be true, I should've went with my instincts. Instead, I gave this man all my information. (This scumbag David Wallsh) Well, after a couple days past after I gave my bank account information, my address, and phone numbers; I realized a check was deposited in the amount of $7,392.99. Panic started setting in, and more emails from him arrived saying I need to send the money now!!!! Luckily, I found this website and just kept the money in there and worked things out with my bank. They took the money out of my account and I have a bunch of letters backing me up on it. (that check sat there for almost 2 weeks before it was withdrawn) After that, I shut down all my bank accounts that I have with them. Then, I receive an email stating he has my social security number. The number he put in the email was correct, so far I have contacted the credit bureaus and am watching my credit card accounts closely. Should I be extremely nervous about identity theft now? Or should I just take it as another threat to try and send the money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:24 pm 
I would be very nervous, you gave your SS# to a scammer, there is nothing stopping him from using your SS# at a buy here/pay here lot for a car, they do not use credit bureaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 pm 

Take a copy of that email and all the info you have collected so far and go down to the social security office. Explain to them what's going on and show them the paper work then show them the email showing they have your social security number. They will issue you a new number. Here's a link for more information:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:24 pm 
ximora wrote:
Take a copy of that email and all the info you have collected so far and go down to the social security office. Explain to them what's going on and show them the paper work then show them the email showing they have your social security number. They will issue you a new number. Here's a link for more information:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html

no they won't, you have to be able to prove someone is using your number, then it is still an uphill battle. I have been in bank security for over 5 years, I know of only one person that was granted a new SS#, she was in the Federal Witness Protection Program :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:14 am 

Well now you know another one and I'm not in the wittness protection program. I had to get mine changed because a scammer had it from of all places "bank records" when my information at a "former" bank was compromised (stolen). All I had to do was bring in all the information relating to the scam and they issued a new number. I did take some time but it can be done. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:06 pm 
ximora wrote:
Well now you know another one and I'm not in the wittness protection program. I had to get mine changed because a scammer had it from of all places "bank records" when my information at a "former" bank was compromised (stolen). All I had to do was bring in all the information relating to the scam and they issued a new number. I did take some time but it can be done. :wink:

Now that makes two...did the scammers use your info? was it hard for you to start from ground zero with no credit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 pm 

Yes they did use my info, and yes it was and still is difficult to start from ground zero. I've had to do everything to prove myself, I had to take time off from work to go to the police station, numerious hours submitting reports to various other agencies. Months more to contact all the creditors of the bills that the scammer ran up, that was an extremely hard thing to do. Then there comes the expense of an attorney and more hours lost from work spending days in a court room. I'm the innocent "victim" here yet I had to spend the last two years fixing a mess that this bank ulitmately created! My creidt was distroyed..... my life was distroyed and all because a "bank" couldn't protect my private information! I don't even blame the scammer at this point I blame the bank and thus the reason I took them to court and won. Do I trust banks now? The answer is NO and I most likely never will. I no longer have a bank account I'm terrified to trust banks any more. I don't expect you to understand what it's like as nothing compares to the real experience of having your identity stolen. Just thank your lucky stars that no one has ever stolen your identity. After what I've been thru I wouldn't wish the outcome of that on my worst enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:47 pm 

I just logged on and saw your mail concerning your friend and what is a Nigerian scam lurking in the shadows. Everything that everyone is saying is true. I am a victim of the 419 scam. I have for the past year been trying to clean up my credit record. It has been herendous. I have had identity theft. I found out that there were 5 different me's out there all with DIFFERENT ss#'s. Two of which were from deceased people. I must urge you to continue talking to your friend. She is playing with fire. Identity theft is ony the beginning. It has taken me 1 year and a lot of money to get this straightened up. Please feel free to contact me.

I posted this mail for someone else, however it is appropriate also in your situation. Be very afraid if someone has your ss#. It is detrimental to your future. Take the advice of those that know. I have managed to get my situation cleaned up a bit, however it has cost me some money.