There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to identify scammers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:46 am 

Hi

I'm a trader. Importing some electonics to Russia.

I got many offer from UK based companies but i'm uncertain about their legitime and their prices.

For example Nokia 8800 for only 150 usd per unit. Or Dell plasma 42' for 799 usd. DVD Home Theather 233usd (wich have real cost min 900 usd)

Pls advice how we can identify scammers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:54 pm 
Gold Member

You will need to post some details of the people/companies who have approached you with these offers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:09 am 

You will need to get into the details to find out for sure whether or not this is a scam but there are a few things you can do first.

1) Who are these people and how did they contact you? Do you have any contacts in common? Usually scams like this come from nowhere. They are not affiliated with anyone legitimate that you know. It's as if they pulled your business/name out of a hat and contacted you. I'd look at any such business proposal very suspicously in that case. By common contact I mean someone you KNOW WELL. Someone you have done business with successfully in the past and will honestly vouch for them personally. In other words someone you know and trust.

2) Is this deal "too good to be true"? Usually if it is then it's most likely not true. You are not going to make millions of dollars in days by doing nothing much except maybe providing some account info, sending a small payment etc.

3) I'd be suspicious of any "up front" fees, espcially if the merchandise is unseen or unproven. Usually these scams suck you in by appealing to your desire to make profit. They promise a lot and then start bleeding you dry when you fall for it. If they can't provide overwhelming evidence of their legitimacy then don't fall for it. If they require you to pay without proof (and I mean damned good proof) then don't try it.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of things to look for but it's a start. Best advice I can give is test the deal with the above things in mind and if they pass all those get into the details. Check and double check before handing out any cash or making any commitments. If they can't pass the above then don't even bother. It's a waste of your time. Just drop them cold. Also note that the above are not always true. It is possible to meet all the above and check out quite well otherwise and still be a scam. These scammers are slick and sometimes they fool the best of us.